Critique Snow squall hare

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Brilliant back in the saddle. Possibly my first from my patch since the carnage caused by lurchers it's certain they didn't get them all,but i'm still unsure on exactly how much damage has been done. I think it's also my first real hare pic with my new lens

Ya know doing this like I do really really brings home how tough these animals are !1 This day instilled an even deeper respect for them. We had driven our patch and I spotted this guy just on the onset of the squall.It was bitter the wind howling. I drove past her parked up and as II scrammbled for hat gloves face mask my lass said ,you are NOT going out in that it's insane.( She was right it was:D). anyway for me this is another little step a hare in sort of snow,it's half hale,I adore how she's hunkered down and the wind is blowing all her whiskers and guard hairs backwards,god it was evil;). Anyway after this we spotted a group of 8 I think boxing in a massive rape field,which was utterly awesome for me. But somewhat daunting,they were a long way out and I'd have to track right round then come back on my gut across the rape with little to no cover. By the time tha was done they had dispersed a bit,I honed in on one with a bigger odd couple of rape leaves for cover and went for it. I'm not actually sure whether this choice was more insane than the first but hey ya gotta make it happen huh. 100 I dunno 200yard later on my gut and I got to them. This is what really made that opening staement of just how much I respect them.

The conditions were brutal the ground soooooo cold,even wiith a multi layered waterproof outer hats scarf and depsite the effort I was expending the cold seeped in everywhere. Yet these animals would be out all night in this without a thought.

All in all a damn fine session sure the cloud killed me light. As a tog I'd like to say the cold was a factor,but really I just didn't perform that well rusty I think,the stalker did ok and that insanity to even try is still there.

So I came home thrilled but wrecked,I'm really way to old for this,but they are such a draw to me I simply can't help myself. Of course there is also this image my very first image of a hare in snow,ok well ish;)another little chip of the hare image portfolio slowly slowly building,ha ha roll 'n roll :D Makes a change from the balmy days of August huh !!

bring it on

stu

canon 1div 400do is ii 1.4 extii 1/800 f8 iso 5000 I think i could have upped the exp by a third of a stop.I really felt my exp was lacking it cost me in the later images,but hey little steps hopefully I'll have this in mind next time:)

_70F5852 small hare in squall by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

my very first image of a hare in snow

… and it having a low profile as I see it!
I would, just me, tame the mid tones a tad…

Hare.jpg

Daniel, thanks for throwing this in the melting pot,:cool:it's always interesting to see someone else's opinion . I've always appreciated this aspect I think it will be a very very long time if ever before I stop being open to others ideas on how an image might be presented.

Personally I feel it's too heavy now ,but the post has made me wonder whether there might be a middle ground as it were,somewhere between the too edits. I'm stating to note that your take is slightly different to mine although mine is transient as yet with all these new tools and my journey bring in it's early stages. Still cool to see though always more to learn bro:)

very interesting cheers

stu

I wasn't there, Stu… it is only a suggestion, no more! :cool:
I know bro the same as you have always done.:)

To me it doesn't matter whether I like or not it matters that it gives me another thought set to evaluate and think about. I ask for crit because I want others opinions mate,I have so much to learn please always feel free to hit me with something. Gradually I'll find my way ,but I've never found an edit unhelpful,it would be wrong to not try to tell you how I feel,sometrime those talks lead to more understanding for me

cheers

stu

I agree with Russ wrt the processing but that is a powerful image. It really does capture the conditions you describe. That hare was in just the right place to do that - in the open, just a few glimpses of vegetation and the snow. I bet the hare was nice and warm..............

Hi Stu
Lovely to see your Hare hunkering down in that snow storm (y)
- Personally I think the post-processing ideal rendition would be half way between yours and Daniel's, but a lovely image nevertheless. Well taken my friend :)

Russ
Cheers Russ ,it's a tricky one mate I could barely see eyes watering all ways from the wind specs steaming up Here's why I went where I did although as you'll note i'm not completely secure about my choices once I'd seen Daniels edit,and erred then to where you and Janny are going. Mind as I think more about it I'm more happy with why the image looks like it does................. there was so little contrast Russ,a blanket of grey cloud and white stuff spinning every where reflecting light,so shadows were lessened brights the same. But my very first image ever I think of a subject in falling snow,so I'm at base one completely as to how to shoot and process said beastie. I lucked out on time the wind blew the storm over very quickly but somehow I kept thinking and was exploring techs as fast as me frozen mits could find the buttons.

Frankly mate I'm chuffed I got to her and got something............ something I have little of which was a real treat despite the conditions which really were brutal . i've learnt a fair bit of this one mate so all in all I'm stoked,my good lady still thinks i'm seriously mad though lmao

I agree with Russ wrt the processing but that is a powerful image. It really does capture the conditions you describe. That hare was in just the right place to do that - in the open, just a few glimpses of vegetation and the snow. I bet the hare was nice and warm..............
She probably was Jan the storm left she got up stretched and bumbled off,I retired to the van with the heater on wimp huh :D Defrosted and went for it again!! Complete madness the second stalk but 8 boxing Janny you know I had to try it was always a given. A tiny bit of luck after that graft wasn't to be,but that's wildlife,I got to them but the tog in me wasn't up to scratch. i'm a bit rusty mate but i'm a lot happier now after seeiing all this.

All that said doing this in this way really drives home just how amazing our wildllife is, stunning animals !!!!!

thanks both

stu

Stu I like the crop of this shot as it shows the hare coping with the weather in a bleak looking environment, great POV too and perhaps I agree with Kodiak QC but I still think your take on PP works, plus you are giving me some idea on what the 400mm DO ii is capable of, time is approaching when hopefully I'll have the same lens in hand too so keep up the good work.

Stu I like the crop of this shot as it shows the hare coping with the weather in a bleak looking environment, great POV too and perhaps I agree with Kodiak QC but I still think your take on PP works, plus you are giving me some idea on what the 400mm DO ii is capable of, time is approaching when hopefully I'll have the same lens in hand too so keep up the good work.

ello mate how ya doing?:)

Martin the image in't a crop, it's full frame........... possibly you mean framing?? Not being pedantic bro,I try not to crop much if at all possible as one throws so much detail away:(. Especially with the hares which are a bit bigger than say most of our birdlife,I try to get close enough to not crop and then play silly b*ggers with the focal points,which is good when one's fingers can't feel the buttons,cor that cost me here mate !!!!!.

It's a shame really Martin i've not really shown you many images with half decent light,we been hellish unlucky light wise of late,even down to starting stalks with lovely light and by the time I get there it all goes pear shaped.But what can I say the 400DOis ii is one serious weather proofed lens. It's all but had a baptism of 'erm water and no issues what so ever,as one would expect ,but nice to KNOW !!

Martin all the luck with your purchase,I hope everything works out for you mate,it's a big deal a huge sum of money. As I say sadly my experiences with her so far have been dogged by bad luck,but still the images keep comingt ,I really think what the guys were saying about a camera upgrade,pairing this to something more modern might be a big step,with this tool. Various reasons I won't dwell on now,but mainly because it is new technology and plausibly needs pairing with such to see what it can really do.. If I remember you have a 7Dii?? I think you will enjoy this,tool.

Martin my one real bit of luck so far,is the spar,I had the light and I got lucky with the chance. The fact that this lens did what it did at that speed,lord she was tanking,and with so little time for me to react says it for me buddy. The above I'm stoked with my first hare and snow image how could I not be;) But the way this lens handles Martin...you'll see that's why I got to that sparrow hawk, I don't know if I could have got that frame with my old 300. I'm not saying the frame is perfect I have many faults,but that lens got me too her and what else could have in my hands. The new 300 is a bit lighter then one needs a 2x ext for 600 as opposed to 560
It's a niche tool in some ways,but if one is a handholder ha and not getting any younger,it's a joy and privildge to use.

But hell I need to play with her with some light at the moment:D

seeya all the luck with it mate !!

stu

No crop eh......I applaud your stalking skills then mate and yes I have the 7d2 but its an upgrade on camera too mate to probably the 5d4, my trips out too have been fraught with bad light and some blank days although the other day I was fortunate to spot 3 roe but some fool on a mob spooked them but hey ho we can just keep trying as patience is the key word with this wildlife togging malarky :) catch u back on here soon mate. Martin

No crop eh......I applaud your stalking skills then mate and yes I have the 7d2 but its an upgrade on camera too mate to probably the 5d4, my trips out too have been fraught with bad light and some blank days although the other day I was fortunate to spot 3 roe but some fool on a mob spooked them but hey ho we can just keep trying as patience is the key word with this wildlife togging malarky :) catch u back on here soon mate. Martin

ha ha I'm one sneaky b*******r mate:D thank you. Cool a camera as well,ahh buddy you are gonna have a BALL !!!!!! I can't wait to see some images from the new lens and body Martin . Do you have ext's? I'm incredibly interested on how the 5Div focuses at speed with the 400DO plus, just want to stare at images from that combo . It's incredibly tricky body wise the Xii is so much the 1dx is going to work the 5Div has that dense sensor ,more FP's at f8?? which is a big deal with this lens the next step is not an easy choice Martin !!

I love the original as it was posted mate but I have to agree, I think the compromise is bang in the middle of Daniel's and your own edit. Personally, just a squidge off the top for me but not a lot, and that's very subjective on my part. There is plenty of space in front of the hare for it to look or move into as well, but if it was me and that spot was now warm from my presence, I wouldn't be moving anywhere in that weather.

Lovely image Stu.

'ey up kiddo,yeah tis a tricky one no doubt Daniel's edit is too heavy for my taste. I feel I'm close to what I saw,not much shadow or tonal depth,but it's hard for me to me sure if I'm right. Daniels edit certainly made me think,bless 'im:) !! The conditions were harsh, watering eyes,why won't my fingers work etc all distract one from looking hard and remembering these facets acurrately Appreciate the thoughts buddy thank you ! Yup the bit off the top is another half mused,someone summed it up for me they liked the smallness of the hare and felt the height added to the vastness of the environment. These "nuances" are good for us to ponder mate. Frankly Daleit was just nice to say sod it I'm going for that and come back with a frame. I have no other image among how many of this species in snow,so I'm stoked it's cool to hear how it might be improved all good points made !!!! I'm not there yet processing wise alot of new tools.Good fun though :)

Need some luck kiddo nice couple of days by the look of it, at last. Sooner or later I'm owed a boxing image ,leastways I know I'm owed it,:D actually the hares do too but are messing with me as is their way. ;)

have a fab weekend mate, frankly I can't wait,but by god tis gonna be cold !!!!!

ha ha I'm one sneaky b*******r mate:D thank you. Cool a camera as well,ahh buddy you are gonna have a BALL !!!!!! I can't wait to see some images from the new lens and body Martin . Do you have ext's? I'm incredibly interested on how the 5Div focuses at speed with the 400DO plus, just want to stare at images from that combo . It's incredibly tricky body wise the Xii is so much the 1dx is going to work the 5Div has that dense sensor ,more FP's at f8?? which is a big deal with this lens the next step is not an easy choice Martin !!
Yep Stu I plan on getting the mkiii 1.4x extender for definite but not sure if I'll invest in the 2x tho as I have heard mixed opinions about them but its a possibility

Martin grab a 2x aswell it's 300notes compared with how much for said lens and camera. I can't tell you how well it will perform AF wise especially at speed and especially with the newer bodies. what I can say is you will want more reach now and again and even if the AF is slow and limits one to more static subjects,you'll find sooner or later a use for it. I specifically mean ext iii's buddy. If you look at Arash hazaghi's images made with the 400DO is Ii and an 2Xextiii then this system can work...granted there might be a caviat of in a seriously talented guys hands,who knows?? But I think given the expenditure you are about to make,it's a great bang for the buck having that easily handholdable extra reach

a thought for you bro :)

stu

Back