Snowdon for astro and sunrise.

Happysnapper79

Suspended / Banned
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
hello all, I am looking for some advice. I am planning a trip up Snowdon in the next couple of weeks to photograph the Milkyway and then the sunrise. It's been a few years since I've been up Snowdon so could anyone suggest places to park for my trip and the best route up.

I plan on setting off on my walk at about 11pm, am I right in thinking that will leave enough time for both astro shots and sunrise from the summit?

Thanks in advance.

Depends how quick you are at walking in the dark!
Mid June Sunrise will be just before 5am and Sunset just before 10pm

I'd be interested in knowing this - I assume there is no issue with camping (in the loosest sense!) over night on snowdon?

Camping isn't actually legal but it's not a big issue so long as you're sensible and don't litter or trash anything. Depending on the route you choose it will take at least a couple of hours to get to the top and that is before you add walking in the dark which will be slower. I think you'd be better off leaving a couple of hours earlier getting t the top or wherever you want to shoot from in daylight. It's easier to get organised that way too.

Camping isn't actually legal but it's not a big issue so long as you're sensible and don't litter or trash anything. Depending on the route you choose it will take at least a couple of hours to get to the top and that is before you add walking in the dark which will be slower. I think you'd be better off leaving a couple of hours earlier getting t the top or wherever you want to shoot from in daylight. It's easier to get organised that way too.

Cheers Wayne - sounds like good advice!

bear in mind that up on top sunrise and sunset will be a earlier and later than published times as these are for sea level, not 1085m above sea level.

Pretty sure TPE takes into account elevation..

Last edited:
Not sure if you've gone yet but my guess is that there will be a very short window of actual darkness either side of 1 am.

Agree that setting about a bit earlier would be a good idea, that way you can make some progress before it gets dark (relatively speaking).

Parking - Pen-y-pass, although it costs a mint for the privilege (£10). Will save a lot of time and effort. I once set off at about 5 am, was down by 9.30 and resold my ticket to someone else!

Got an aurora alert this morning (8th June) ! You just could be lucky!

I'd love to hear how you got on.

Back