Snowy Railway

Edit My Images
No
It's been a while since I had any crit, so here's something I did recently.

img_7366.jpg

I shot this whilst walking along the Cromford Canal, the track against the snow caught my eye.

This was shot using a 20D with a Sigma 100-300mm EX lens.

ISO800
208mm
f/5.6
1/640 sec

I'm not used to shooting stuff like this at all, so all comments and crit welcome.

Thanks

Craig

I really like it!
As you say, the white snow really compliments the dark rails, and then all the dark forestry around the edges.
I like the short dof aswell. Excuse me if I have worded this wrong? The blurred out short distance, where the trees are just black, into fading into definition.

Hmmmm, it's certainly full of atmosphere but i cant help but feel it's lacking something to really make it pop.

p.s. Where abouts along the canal is this as i spend most sundays down by one particular stretch.

A very cool shot there Craig (literally!). I see where you're coming from but like David says, needs something to make it pop - a TRAIN perhaps!

Thanks for the comments all.

I had thought about cropping the right slightly more, bringing the curve of the track closer to one of the thirds.

I'm not sure what colour I could add to make it pop though, any ideas? :)

Composition is a bit different but it works. As said above - it needs a subject to complete it.

Very nice. :)

A little more time to reply now, this morning was a mad dash!

p.s. Where abouts along the canal is this as i spend most sundays down by one particular stretch.

I'm not that familiar with the area as it was my first time there, but heading from Cromford at a steady pace, I'd say we came across this after about 20 minutes.

A very cool shot there Craig (literally!). I see where you're coming from but like David says, needs something to make it pop - a TRAIN perhaps!

I'm not even sure if the line is used, I'll have to find out. If it is, I'll be heading back!

Thanks all for your comments thus far.

I've tried adding the train, but it didn't come out as I'd wanted. :(

ttteaf.jpg

:D

Slightly more serious edit, I had a play with the crop;

IMG_7366-2.jpg

:)

Back