So - From filters for the Lakes to Lenses

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently posted a thread regarding which filter for a trip to the English Lakes.

I am going for the Lee system as per my last post in that thread. Now, lenses. I am going to have a real stab a landscape photography this year as no other genre is interesting me any longer.

I own a Nikon D610. the Kit 24-85 f3.5 to 4.5 VR (dont knock it, it's centre performance is tack sharp), a 70-200 f2.8, a 35mm prime and 85mm prime. I did a forum search on landscape focal lengths and it appears to be that 24-70 is the preferred focal length.

Should I ditch the kit lens and go all out for the 20-70 f2.8 pro which we all know is good but at 24mm it distorts pretty bad and has a strong vignette at the same focal length (according to reviewers) also, the kit lens I currently own preforms pretty much on par at F8 to 16 so is it worth upgrading???

OR, should I get a dedicated WA lens 16-35 F4 or the highly rated 18-35G??

I would like to hear from people who actually use the above in the real world

There is no one lens that is a landscape lens, though the often assumption is that it is a wide angle lens of some sort.

The 24-85 is imo a much underrated lens and for landscapes I can see no reason to change that for a 24-70 f2.8 - other than perhaps weather sealing (not water proofing, no Nikon lens are waterproof that I know of). The 24-70 is also tougher, but much heavier too (ok, so that may be two reasons ;)) ... There are a number of landscapers on here who use a 70-200 possibly more than they do a WA/UWA too. I sometimes use longer lenses when I want a more compressed landscape (my 60mm macro is rather good for this).

I'd stick with the 24-85 for now and see if you need to go wider, you already have longer covered. But fwiw I have recently got the 18-35mm and early tests suggest it is very, very good.

If you haven't already I'd be researching a good tripod system, this may be more valuable than a new lens imo. :)

I'd agree here, there is no one lens for landscape as it all depends on the shot you want. Weather sealing is a better argument for upgrading but it you're careful with you kit then I wouldn't worry about that either. Weight on the other hand is a big choice esp if you're carrying camping kit or going up large mountains/hills.

As Paul says a good tripod might be a better upgrade.

I can also recommend the Nikon 18-35G as its light and very sharp on my D800.

Cheers

Simon

Sounds like you haven't been to the Lakes before. If that is the case, I would stop worrying so much about gear and just go. It has such a rich and varied range of subjects, that with the gear you have you JUST have to come back with some great shots. Your main concern should be where to go and if the weather is kind. After 40 years of visiting, I still haven't run out of things to take and still have lots of places to visit. .

Back