So... I quit smoking....... Did you ????

Kept trying, got down to three a day at one point,but always went back to 30 a day.
Then my Mam went into hospital , one day when I was visiting she said "look what smoking has done to me our Richard" (Always full name with parents ain't it. ) "Promise me you'll give up"
So you promise you're old Mam don't you.

Problem was She didn't come out . And a promise is a promise.......
Moral
If you don't want to give up you won't, unless you have a damned good reason.

My tip .Save up what you spend on fags, don't touch it till you have enough for That new camera ........ Lens you always wanted...

PS
Been smoke free for 24 years now

Last edited:
I quit on New years day, not missed them too much to be honest.

I can stop fairly easily but staying off, especially during a tough day at work is harder.

Knowing I wont enjoy the first one is keeping me off them.

I have never been a smoker.

Having tried just one once I wondered what on earth would make anyone have a second cigarette.

Well done on giving up.

Steve.

I've kind of quit, i can quite happily not have one uring the week, but come the weekend and after i've had a couple of drinks, i instantly want one. doesn't help that all my mates smoke too :(

My tip .Save up what you spend on fags, don't touch it till you have enough for That new camera ........ Lens you always wanted...

PS
Been smoke free for 24 years now

so you got that 1200mm lens yet then:LOL:

seriously though, congrats and good luck to everyone quitting or really trying to quit, hope you all manage it (y)

I have never been a smoker.

Having tried just one once I wondered what on earth would make anyone have a second cigarette.

Well done on giving up.

Steve.

It's a drug addiction.
Nicotine is more addictive than heroin.......
It's pathetic I know..... :crying:

Well I'm just about at the end of my tether with smoking.
I cannot understand what my problem is.......

I have so many reasons to stop. Some obvious (health, money etc) a few personal.
But I still cannot go even for a few hours without my smoke.
I've done the lot. Alan Carr's book, twice, hypnotherapy twice, patches, gum, inhalator........

Jesus what is wrong with me :bang:
It's disgusting, smelly, expensive and it's actually ruining my life right now.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :razz: :crying:

Well done all!

I had my last just before the stroke of midnight on Hogmany 1992, and still haven't had another. Amazingly, I still have the craving, particularly after finishing a meal, or sitting in a boozer with a pint and the paper. I just drum my 'smoking' fingers and the moment passes!

I just drum my 'smoking' fingers and the moment passes!

That's similar to some of the self hypnosis techniques Paul Mckenna writes about for smoking, slimming, etc.

You have probably subconciously taught yourself to eliminate the craving with this 'signal'.

Steve.

That's similar to some of the self hypnosis techniques Paul Mckenna writes about for smoking, slimming, etc.

You have probably subconciously taught yourself to eliminate the craving with this 'signal'.

Steve.

I've definitely taught myself it subconsciously Steve. Always my trigger finger first, then the middle finger! I've never really thought about that, and can't remember when I started doing it. Probably in the first three weeks after the last smoke, which were very challenging indeed!

It's disgusting, smelly, expensive and it's actually ruining my life right now.(

And what does that little voice inside your head say when you light up?

Because, until it says "round spherical objects, that's it, no more", you won't give up, no matter how convinced you think you are.

I gave up many many times over 28 years, but until I had that moment, every attempt was doomed to failure. I've now been smoke free for 22 months and still have the odd moment when I could fancy a fag even though I really can feel the health benefits.

so you got that 1200mm lens yet then:LOL:

seriously though, congrats and good luck to everyone quitting or really trying to quit, hope you all manage it (y)

D300 and 17-55 2.8 :D:D

I relapsed once about five years ago at christmas,,, one cigar I thought would not hurt.......Coughed for a week....lol

Last edited:
Well I'm just about at the end of my tether with smoking.
I cannot understand what my problem is.......

I have so many reasons to stop. Some obvious (health, money etc) a few personal.
But I still cannot go even for a few hours without my smoke.
I've done the lot. Alan Carr's book, twice, hypnotherapy twice, patches, gum, inhalator........

It's disgusting, smelly, expensive and it's actually ruining my life right now.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :razz: :crying:

I have been there and there is nothing nobody can do or say. One day you will wake up and you will be committed

I quit a few months ago, but would smoke my keyboard if I could find a match.:help:

Now this is one of the things that scares me most about giving up.
Still craving a smoke every day for the rest of my life :(

Two and a half weeks now and still going strong. This is the longest I've ever stopped for and I must admit I'm finding easier than I thought I would although there are times....

After 34 years of lighting up it does feel good but at the same time it feels like I am missing out on something. Luckily I've been working from home a fair bit over the last couple of weeks and haven't been tempted by work colleagues although in saying that the mother-in-law came round this afternoon and went out to the garden for a smoke - I couldn't believe the smell when she came back in!

Two and a half weeks now and still going strong. This is the longest I've ever stopped for and I must admit I'm finding easier than I thought I would although there are times....

After 34 years of lighting up it does feel good but at the same time it feels like I am missing out on something. Luckily I've been working from home a fair bit over the last couple of weeks and haven't been tempted by work colleagues although in saying that the mother-in-law came round this afternoon and went out to the garden for a smoke - I couldn't believe the smell when she came back in!

Well done mate :clap:
That thought that I'm missing out on something also worries me a bit........

Keep it up. Nearly 5 years for me and haven't looked back since. Once the initial craving has gone (which isn't actually that long - physically) it's the routine bit which gets you. When I stopped, I stopped with a friend at work. We kept to the same routine at work - 'cig breaks' etc but had a cuppa instead but still stood outside with everyone else for a natter etc. She cracked after 2 weeks, I didn't. Even at home. When it was time for my usual cig break, I'd go outside but take a drink with me instead.

Stay positive and good luck to everyone who has stopped! Keep it up. You CAN do it!

I quit 35 years ago and went through 10 years of recurrent nightmares 2 or 3 times per week. All were on the theme that I had started smoking again.

I can sympathise with anyone trying to give it up.

It's not that bad every day, but the cravings do come. Thankfully I have a loving, caring wife who would beat the **** out of me if I did smoke one. :bat:

:LOL:

I'm putting together a new plan.

a) Get it through to my think head that I DO NOT ENJOY smoking.
b) Get it through to my think head that there are so many reasons to stop.
c) Cut out out the most important ciggies, ie the first one in the morning, after a meal etc.......
If I can go without these, it should make giving up the rest a bit easier :nuts:

I actually used Chantix. If you read about it, the side effects can be scary, but I didn't have them as bad as some of the stuff I read. It really worked. It didn't help with cravings really, but it did make the cigs taste horrible.

I actually used Chantix. If you read about it, the side effects can be scary, but I didn't have them as bad as some of the stuff I read. It really worked. It didn't help with cravings really, but it did make the cigs taste horrible.

Tried it.
Didn't work :D

Well it kind of did. I pretty much quit, but that first one in the mornings just got the better of me!!

I was a heavy smoker until late last year. I had no plans to give up because I really enjoyed smoking, but that special someone in my life wasn't a smoker and I knew they'd rather I didn't smoke. The first time I tried to quit I used patches but they just seemed to prolong things and eventually I started to "top up" the patches with a couple of cigs. Big mistake... Anyway, 2nd time I quit cold turkey.

Today neither of them are a part of my life and i feel a heck of lot healthier for it :LOL:

I was a heavy smoker until late last year. I had no plans to give up because I really enjoyed smoking, but that special someone in my life wasn't a smoker and I knew they'd rather I didn't smoke. The first time I tried to quit I used patches but they just seemed to prolong things and eventually I started to "top up" the patches with a couple of cigs. Big mistake... Anyway, 2nd time I quit cold turkey.

Today neither of them are a part of my life and i feel a heck of lot healthier for it :LOL:

Seriously though, what was going through your mind while quitting?
At the moment, every time I smoke I'm thinking, you don't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it.

When I stop smoking, or haven't had one for a few hours I'm thinking, I do enjoy it, I do enjoy it :bang:

Seriously though, what was going through your mind while quitting?
At the moment, every time I smoke I'm thinking, you don't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it.

When I stop smoking, or haven't had one for a few hours I'm thinking, I do enjoy it, I do enjoy it :bang:

At the beginning it was the thought of my loved one that kept me going, thinking how much nicer it would be for her. TBH we didn't see too much of each other in person so i'm still unsure if she ever realised I was a smoker anyway. :shrug:

What I found really helpful:

1. Quit cold turkey. Using quitting aids just defers the real quitting.
2. Quit for yourself, not for others.
3. Overdose on cigarettes during the final hour/s.
4. Try to quit at bedtime and make sure you smoke the last cigarette in the pack then.
5. Try to cut down in the weeks leading up to quitting.
6. Reduce the quantity you buy cigarettes in, even down to packs of 10 if possible.
7. Keep track of what you're saving not buying cigarettes.
8. Launder your clothes, including coats, and notice how much longer they stay fresh and can be worn for.
9. Losing the habit of carrying cigarettes, lighters, more cigarettes.
10. Think of yourself as a non smoker rather than an ex smoker. Just don't even think about cigarettes any more.

and finally, lose all trace of cigarettes in your life. Ashtrays, lighters, all that kind of stuff... Throw it away, not pack it away. You've quit cigarettes so why keep it?

HTH and good luck. It's hard and doesn't really get easier until you're comitted to not smoking - period!

(edit) ps: don't beat yourself up if you fail. The main thing is to just try again when you're ready. And never think you're the type of person to never give up. That was me, a confirmed die hard smoker who would never give up - until one day i just did...

Last edited:
Yo Heps, thanks for that.

Going to have a proper read through it in the morning.
Looks like a great help though!

Thanks again.

Back