So i want a manual film camera… FM2?

What is that?

I would suggest going for the updated OM1n version rather than an OM1.

Apart from the minor changes noted in post #32 above, from what I've been told Olympus no longer placed foam over the top of the prism in the OM1n (and OM2n - although I don't know for sure if this is the case for all OM1ns and OM2ns) and therefore the OM1n (and OM2n) does not suffer from the effects of foam degradation that plagues the OM1 (and OM2). What was not realised at the time is that as it aged the foam broke down into a sticky mess and corroded the reflective coating on the prism resulting in ugly black marks in the view finder.

Fortunately, it is relatively easy to replace a damaged prism (I have done both my OM1 and my two OM2s) and OM10s seems to yield a plentiful supply of suitable prisms if one keeps an eye on Ebay.

Looking through my OM1 before prism replacement, the marks at the bottom are from damage to the prism coating caused by foam degradation…
View attachment 368774
…and after prism replacement.
View attachment 368775
Other than the foam degradation, the OM1 in my experience is a hardy little beast, I,ve had the OM1 shown in the pictures since 1977 (when I was 16) and I haven't managed to break it yet! A super little camera.
Okay, so OM1n is the one to go for. I like the sound of not having to worry about the seals, I guess I should buy an adaptor together with a spare battery if I settle for this camera before I go on my trip so it works on day 1. Might be hard to ask for these things in Japanese. Anything else to look out for? Sounds like a good condition OM1n should take all the boxes.

If I want a 55/1.2, I guess aside from fungus, these things are pretty bullet proof? I’m from a believer that one should put more towards glass than the body, with film cameras, especially manual ones, an expensive body doesn’t yield as much benefits and I think 1.2 lens, even if it’s not that sharp, would be fun to use.

Last edited:
You'll be shocked at how much these have gone up in price over the years!
Oh I'm not shocked at all, I wish I'd kept now as part of my pension plan :)

What is that?

Okay, so OM1n is the one to go for. I like the sound of not having to worry about the seals, I guess I should buy an adaptor together with a spare battery if I settle for this camera before I go on my trip so it works on day 1. Might be hard to ask for these things in Japanese. Anything else to look out for? Sounds like a good condition OM1n should take all the boxes.

If I want a 55/1.2, I guess aside from fungus, these things are pretty bullet proof?
It's a Voigtlander R3a actually made in Japan by Cosina. It's a rangefinder camera that takes Voigtlander or Leica lenses and it is exceptional.
The second one is an original Voigtlander made in West Germany in the 1950's. The lenses are stunning, Voigtlander were the oldest lens makers in the world as they started nearly 300 years ago making microscope and telescope lenses. Built like a tank and makes the most beautiful wind on and shutter sound of any camera I've owned.

You may wish to consider an OM2n.

The OM1 and OM1n have a purely mechanical shutter (on slow speeds you can hear the clockwork timing mechanism) and therefore all shutter speeds are available regardless of whether the battery is live or dead - the battery is only required for the light meter.

The OM2 and OM2n have an electronic shutter which requires battery power to work, other than the B (bulb) setting. Batteries are, however, are readily available, they ise two LR44 or SR44 batteries. Where the OM2 scores is that it can either be used as a purely manual camera (you have to set both shutter speed and aperture) or as a semi-auto with aperture priority (you set the aperture and the OM2 takes care of the shutter speed).
971032A5-B891-45BC-97E4-51551B2B55B5.jpeg
The OM2's party piece is that for slower shutter speeds, in semi-auto mode, once the shutter opens its meter continues to read the light off the film and will adjust the shutter speed accordingly, with the OM2n offering long exposures of up to 120 seconds. Without batteries, or when the batteries get too low, the mirror will lock up until new batteries are installed and the shutter is reset.

Haha, no expensive range finders for me, I am not a fan of the off Center viewfinder, I have it in the Fufji X-Pro and I prefer SLR over it.

Plus I know this may well be a phase to use film, who knows when I would use it again so I want to get something on the cheaper end, whilst still decent as nice to use.

I've heard it said that the Olympus Zuiko lenses can be prone to oil on the aperture blades which makes them slow to respond. I can't say I have had this problem with my lenses. I've had to partially disassemble some to get rid of fungus though.

Two enjoyable Youtube videos on the 55mm f1.2 can be found on the Zenobraphy channel:
Wow! This Lens Is Magical! Olympus f1.2 55mm - First Impressions!

Wild, Wacky and Wonderful! Two Olympus f1.2 Blur Monsters - the 55mm f1.2 and the 50mm f1.2!

One thing to consider if you are going for a light weight outfit is the size and weight, 170g for the 50mm f1.8, 230g for the 50mm f1.4 and 310g for the 55mm f1.2.
8AA04A9B-ABB9-4FF0-B82E-F8847607D412.jpeg
Edited to add: and racked out to closest focus of 0.45m
FF97EDFD-3006-4C49-912D-D124C5287E24.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the top contender is the OM1n, the OM2 and the FM2. Probably leaning toward the Olympus for size and price of the bodies. Nikon would sneak it if I can get a good condition one in Japan.

I think the top contender is the OM1n, the OM2 and the FM2. Probably leaning toward the Olympus for size and price of the bodies. Nikon would sneak it if I can get a good condition one in Japan.
I have both the OM2n and a Nikon FE.

Disclaimer: I'm a Nikon fanboy, and have used Nikons almost exclusively for the past 25 years.

However since I've gotten my OM2n in 2011, having dreamt about it for years (my uncle used to have one when I was a little boy) my Nikon FE sits there gathering dust.

Unpopular opinion: the OM2n imo makes the FE look and feel like a clunky toy. The FE is bigger, noisier, has a poorer viewfinder and makes an irritating metallic CLING when you press the shutter. I see very little reason to prefer it over my OM2n.

Re Om1n vs Om2n. The OM2n takes 2 cheap and widely available button batteries. You can find them in Sainsbury/Tesco ecc. A set in the OM2n lasts me for months.

Last edited:
I have both the OM2n and a Nikon FE.

Disclaimer: I'm a Nikon fanboy, and have used Nikons almost exclusively for the past 25 years.

However since I've gotten my OM2n in 2011, having dreamt about it for years (my uncle used to have one when I was a little boy) my Nikon FE sits there gathering dust.

Unpopular opinion: the OM2n imo makes the FE look and feel like a clunky toy. The FE is bigger, noisier, has a poorer viewfinder and makes an irritating metallic CLING when you press the shutter. I see very little reason to prefer it over my OM2n.

Re Om1n vs Om2n. The OM2n takes 2 cheap and widely available button batteries. You can find them in Sainsbury/Tesco ecc. A set in the OM2n lasts me for months.
Should I put in a cheeky bid? What’s a good price for this?

...and don't forget the FM ;) I don't know much about DSLRs but if you have a Nikon, I assume you can use an analogue (film) Nikon lens on it for a bit of fun to compare with the plastic fantastic ones that DSLRs use (y)

I've heard it said that the Olympus Zuiko lenses can be prone to oil on the aperture blades which makes them slow to respond. I can't say I have had this problem with my lenses. I've had to partially disassemble some to get rid of fungus though.

Two enjoyable Youtube videos on the 55mm f1.2 can be found on the Zenobraphy channel:
Wow! This Lens Is Magical! Olympus f1.2 55mm - First Impressions!

Wild, Wacky and Wonderful! Two Olympus f1.2 Blur Monsters - the 55mm f1.2 and the 50mm f1.2!

One thing to consider if you are going for a light weight outfit is the size and weight, 170g for the 50mm f1.8, 230g for the 50mm f1.4 and 310g for the 55mm f1.2.
View attachment 368794
Edited to add: and racked out to closest focus of 0.45m
View attachment 368796

The extra 100g would be fine I think, oh, the price on that auction, what’s a fair price do you think it’s worth? Zooming it looks to be a bit grimy with the usual surface wear.

Last edited:
The extra 100g would be fine I think, oh, the price on that auction, what’s a fair price do you think it’s worth? Zooming it looks to be a bit grimy with the usual surface wear.
Around £125 I would say

That Voigtlander Bessamatic is very big and very heavy. I have one - it takes excellent photos - but doesn't get used because of its weight. I much prefer my OM1 at about half the weight.

I agree it's a monster, to be honest it wasn't a serious suggestion just a nod to the older SLR types. :)

Around £125 I would say

Quick look at eBay listings online….it is quite apparent the ones from Japan is just in better condition. Not only with less wear, no dents but just cleaner too. I see loads on sale on eBay have dirt in the small areas near the dials and in the corners that can be easily cleaned with a toothbrush.

Last edited:
I'm a recent convert to Olympus, and I must say I've learnt a great deal myself from reading this thread. Time was I was a Pentax man and I'd fight anybody with an Olympus. How things change. :D

Last edited:
I'm a recent convert to Olympus, and I must say I've learnt a great deal myself from reading this thread. Time was I was a Pentax man and I'd fight anybody with an Olympus. How things change. ;-)

I like to think I am brand agonistic, having been a long time Canon film, compact and DSLR and DSLR user, now Sony E-Mount, with. Fuji mirrorless set up and couple of bodies, I would just get what is good for the money. I even had a Nikon digital compact years ago.

I’d get a Leica if it’s good value for money but they never are to me.

Last edited:
I agree it's a monster, to be honest it wasn't a serious suggestion just a nod to the older SLR types. :)
A light weight SLRs is a bit irrelevant when you stick something like a heavy Ensinor 28-80mm f3.5-f4.5 macro zoom and front glass is appx 60mm.......on it o_O.

Found a mint OM2 on eBay from Japan for a good price (free shipping) with a 50/1.4 and bit the bullet. I watched a couple of videos on the 50/1.2 and 55/1.5 and I think I might just stick with the 50/1.4 that it came with. For what I planned to use it for, street photography in Japan, this will be perfect. Probably going to stop it down to 2.0 or 2.8 anyway.

Thanks @Flighter for the OM2 suggestion and the battery information, that was very useful. I thought about the OM2n but i wouldn't need the long exposure feature so it wouldn't be worth it and this one is too good to pass it by for it's condition.

I was prepared to pay about double for a Nikon FM2 with a 50/1.4 so I think came away with a better camera for half the price so thanks again!

lWen6ya.jpg

qsdULR2.jpg

Usm36G4.jpg

1nvsmkR.jpg

Last edited:
Found a mint OM2 on eBay for a good price (free shipping) with a 50/1.4 and bit the bullet. I watched a couple of videos on the 50/1.2 and 55/1.5 and I think I might just stick with the 50/1.4 that it came with. For what I planned to use it for, street photography in Japan, this will be perfect. Probably going to stop it down to 2.0 or 2.8 anyway.

Thanks @Flighter for the OM2 suggestion and the battery information, that was very useful. I thought about the OM2n but i wouldn't need the long exposure feature so it wouldn't be worth it and this one is too good to pass it by for it's condition.

lWen6ya.jpg

qsdULR2.jpg

Usm36G4.jpg

1nvsmkR.jpg

I am so jealous :love: I love the OM cameras, they're a dream to handle

Have fun and post some results here

Regards - Paul

I'm a recent convert to Olympus, and I must say I've learnt a great deal myself from reading this thread. Time was I was a Pentax man and I'd fight anybody with an Olympus. How things change. ;-)
I started out with a second hand Pentax Spotmatic 500 as my first 'proper camera' when I was a teenager getting interested in photography. I hadn't had it long before some low down sneak thief came in through the side door of the house and lifted it off the bed in my room. When we went to the local camera shop to get a replacement I was given a second hand Nikon (can't remember the model) to try but was put off by the weight and size. As an alternative the shop owner came out with a new OM1 and I just gelled with it. Since then, I have pretty much only used OMs (mainly the OM1) I have a couple of MF cameras but they only get occasional use.

Question, this might be @woof woof turf....what adaptor do you use or suggest to adapt this lens for the Sony E mount?

ta

The Novoflex adapters are pretty good, usually Around the £100 area. Other cheaper ones worth a look are K&F but these cheaper ones can be pot luck. I did think that Novoflex weren't worth paying for and that the £10-£30 ones were the smart ones to buy as it's just a chunk of metal but then I had a string of duff ones in a row.

So, go for a cheaper one and play pot luck or spend £100 on a Novoflex. I have three Novoflex and did buy a fourth but I sent it back as it had an issue at infinity so even they aren't 100% reliable.

As I said earlier, I like this lens on my A7. It needs a touch more sharpening if you're aiming for sharpness but the look it gives is nice.

Last edited:
I use K&F adapters to use lenses on a Sony a7rii. I don't know what problems people may have found, but I find that infinity focus requires focusing just this side of infinity.

I have seen some complain about a lack of parallelism, but haven't noticed it myself. I use OM, K, Nikon, Canon FD and Exakta lenses, all K&F. Perhaps I'm too uncritical...

The Novoflex adapters are pretty good, usually Around the £100 area. Other cheaper ones worth a look are K&F but these cheaper ones can be pot luck. I did think that Novoflex weren't worth paying for and that the £10-£30 ones were the smart ones to buy as it's just a chunk of metal but then I had a string of duff ones in a row.

So, go for a cheaper one and play pot luck or spend £100 on a Novoflex. I have three Novoflex and did buy a fourth but I sent it back as it had an issue at infinity so even they aren't 100% reliable.

As I said earlier, I like this lens on my A7. It needs a touch more sharpening if you're aiming for sharpness but the look it gives is nice.

Thanks, that’s quite a lot for an adaptor. I guess it also transmit data for the light meter? Or do they all do that?

I have a E Mount Zeiss lens for sharpness for the Sony so I am not going to be concerned about that…I think. It’s a “cheap” lens so to speak, I’m pretty sure it’ll do its job. My expectation for it is quite low to be honest, I think the biggest challenge is nailing the focus on the OM2, rather than the lens sharpness. I will sleep on the adaptor for the moment as using it on the Sony is a secondary bonus.

Last edited:
Thanks, that’s quite a lot for an adaptor. I guess it also transmit data for the light meter? Or do they all do that?

I have a E Mount Zeiss lens for sharpness for the Sony so I am not going to be concerned about that…I think. It’s a “cheap” lens so to speak, I’m pretty sure it’ll do its job. My expectation for it is quite low to be honest, I think the biggest challenge is nailing the focus on the OM2, rather than the lens sharpness. I will sleep on the adaptor for the moment as using it on the Sony is a secondary bonus.

These lenses need to be used in aperture or manual mode, there's no communication at all. The good news is that metering works as does peaking and the magnified view as does zone and hyperfocal / Merklinger method.

Last edited:
On focussing, the single digit OM cameras have interchangeable focussing screens. I prefer one with a microprism collar surrounding a split image rangefinder. Coupled with the large, bright screen, focussing is simple.

Are Fotga any good?...I do have two for Sony, M42 and Canon FD but haven't used them much to see if any problems.........but might now use them more rather than waste film comparing my lenses.

I'll defer to any better informed people, but as far as I can recall the possible problem areas with adapters for older manual lenses to modern digital ones are all mechanical in nature. They are all essentially tubes to act as spacers, with the camera mount on one end and the lens mount on the other. Basically, an extension tube where the two ends are not for the same lens mount. What can go wrong is:

Lack of parallelism (meaning you can't get all four corners at the correct distance to achieve sharp focus)

Incorrect length - if too long, can't focus on infinity, if too short lose close focusing distance.

Not light tight at either end

Bad fit or looseness at either end

I think that's about it - and all can be easily checked without even wasting a shutter count on a digital camera...

Adapters intended to convert autofocus lenses are another matter.

Are Fotga any good?...I do have two for Sony, M42 and Canon FD but haven't used them much to see if any problems.........but might now use them more rather than waste film comparing my lenses.

Sorry I have no idea. I have a number of adapters and I don't know what make some of them are :D It's only recently that I've had some duffers which had to go straight back or in some cases in the bin as the company didn't want them back.

I think the cheaper ones are probably worth a gamble as if you get a good one it's going to last years... it's just that the more expensive ones are more likely to be right first time.

PS.
You'll know straight away if there's a problem. The first thing is you want the lens to mount and be the correct way up and you want it to mount on the camera. Nothing should refuse to fit or wobble. The next thing is to make sure you can focus to infinity. If you can mount the lens and mount it all on the camera and if you can achieve focus on something a long way off you're good to go. If an adapter isn't right you should know with a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
Now i am looking at film scanners .... lol

Although i might just knock something up using my iPad as a lightbox with my Macro lens to "scan" it.....has anyone tried that?

I think a few people have. You could start with this thread:

There is a thread dedicated to scanners, and another on VueScan (scanning software for scanners).

I just joined in here rather belatedly but I'm going to congratulate you on your choice. I haven't tried an OM2 but the only camera I ever really loved owning was my OM1. I've had some more expensive digital ones but I've never found anything like as much pleasure in the process of photography as I did then.

Now i am looking at film scanners .... lol

Although i might just knock something up using my iPad as a lightbox with my Macro lens to "scan" it.....has anyone tried that?
If you are never going to print photos over A4 or just email JPGs, then any of the Epson Photo scanners in the 4000s range are good enough....just check if there are neg film holders and power supply if you see a good buy for say £10-£30 that you can collect to save about £10 for postage.
Money no problem? Then Epson V500 or V600 is VG.

Last edited:
I just watched this tutorial, everything seems straight forward, with the exception of trying to do double exposure, which I don't think I will for now.

What I am liking is AP mode...and then using exposure compensation to get the photo. It's pretty much how I shoot with my digital camera. If the camera can control the shutter speed for me then I can see this could be a very enjoyable shooting experience.

Back