So it really is time to ditch Adobe

We can be absolutely sure that Adobe is about to increase the price of their packages by , oooh.....about 100% , I'd say.........

Fortunately I'm still on LR6.

They're not increasing their prices. This plan has always existed and has always been £20 a month / £240 a year.

OK, it looks like they're about to make their current £10 p.m. plan unavailable.........

There will be a £10 plan, it will just be different. You will still be able to get a version of Lightroom for £10 a month, it will just be Lightroom CC instead of Classic. That may be a massive change for you or it may make no difference. Personally I feel the writing has been on the wall for Classic ever since CC was announced, and this is Adobe testing the waters to begin killing off Lightroom Classic. I'm going to start moving my workflow to CC as much as possible so it's not too jarring when Classic is inevitably killed off. CC, while not as full featured is much, much nicer to use and much quicker. The cloud syncing stuff is great as well, being able to edit on my phone is a huge plus and I use this a lot.

The amount of mass hysteria and poor reporting in the technology & photography press around this small test is amazing.

There will be a £10 plan, it will just be different. You will still be able to get a version of Lightroom for £10 a month, it will just be Lightroom CC instead of Classic. That may be a massive change for you or it may make no difference. Personally I feel the writing has been on the wall for Classic ever since CC was announced, and this is Adobe testing the waters to begin killing off Lightroom Classic. I'm going to start moving my workflow to CC as much as possible so it's not too jarring when Classic is inevitably killed off. CC, while not as full featured is much, much nicer to use and much quicker. The cloud syncing stuff is great as well, being able to edit on my phone is a huge plus and I use this a lot.

The amount of mass hysteria and poor reporting in the technology & photography press around this small test is amazing.

I just hope that when Classic is no longer available, CC is at feature parity. I like to use things such as range masking which isn't currently available in CC. If it was, I'd of moved over already.

I just hope that when Classic is no longer available, CC is at feature parity. I like to use things such as range masking which isn't currently available in CC. If it was, I'd of moved over already.

It's not something I use very often but yes I agree, they need to bring features like that over to CC as a priority. And Import and Export presets, if they added those I would fully move over right now.

Ignoring the editing side, Does CC even have the cataloging functionality of Classic? I haven't dug too deep but it didn't look like you could even use smart folders.

Is there a print module, web module, slideshow etc? It seems so lightweight at present, that it seems more like a nice little sidecar for Classic. Way off being a decent tool in its own right.

Last edited:
@dan_yell - it was on Amazon that I initially found it and then another couple of retailers popped up but I don't remember who they were - maybe Curry's? Of course I didn't actually try to purchase from them so maybe they don't really have it ... my bad :(

I would guess that in the cc version, you're photos are uploaded to the cloud. That's fine if you have a nice speedy, reliable broadband, but not all of us do and I don't.
I sometimes think these software companies forget that not everyone (and not just in this country) can get good broadband.

Not sure where hysteria comes into it but it seems like a radical change to me. No Photoshop and a cut down version of Lightroom for the same money!

Don't get me wrong, I believe Lightroom and Photoshop are the premier editing tools available and if your a professional they are probably essential to your workflow. But, I'm not a professional and the alternatives suit me fine and are considerably cheaper.

Isn't that what all the fuss is about?

Haven't you read the first and following posts?
There's nothing that suggests that my subscription is going up that has appeared in here or in the original linked article - I surmised by your claim that you might have some new information - I obviously surmised wrongly

@Bristolian Currys only offer the CC subscription model now - it changed a week or so after i had a failed purchase through them. Amazon only had it 3rd party for £200 when i was looking, and possibly 2nd hand - now its £220 from another 3rd party seller. I did LOTS of googling to try and find a copy trust me :) :) I was just very lucky to find someone who wasn't using theirs any more. and i wish good fortune on them into the universe!

@footman yeah i used a different email address than what I had previously used on the trial which had then turned into CC. Its one i dont use very often as it was my first ever email address and i don't like it cos its my full name :) so it's not attached to the CC - which i had removed from my computer before trying LR6 - which if you are on a different machine then you wouldn't have any clash.

Is 24% a decent rate of growth and if not, what is?

You've missed the context of my comment - which was referring to future gowth being decent.

The problem for the company is that the current numbers set quite a high threshold for future numbers to be deemed 'good'.

@Bristolian Currys only offer the CC subscription model now - it changed a week or so after i had a failed purchase through them. Amazon only had it 3rd party for £200 when i was looking, and possibly 2nd hand - now its £220 from another 3rd party seller. I did LOTS of googling to try and find a copy trust me :) :) I was just very lucky to find someone who wasn't using theirs any more. and i wish good fortune on them into the universe!

I think B and H photo is maybe the only place offering Lightroom 6 now and you will have to be in US to get it.

Yes, you're right. Indefinitely was the word they used. I'm sure very few people took the word to mean "for about the next 3 years", which is what actually happened. We can be absolutely sure that Adobe is about to increase the price of their packages by , oooh.....about 100% , I'd say.........

Fortunately I'm still on LR6.
We should probably have learnt our lesson from Adobe's similar use of language about the future availability of CS6.

Indeed.

Companies legal responsibilities are to their shareholders, not their customers.

Why is it misleading?

As others have said, the original plan is still available.

The currently promoted option - a temporary promo trial according to Adobe - is double the price of the cheapest Photographer plan, but offering way more cloud storage.

So in no way is Adobe "doubling prices" of a plan.

You could say that Adobe might increase the minimum monthly payment - but then a company could say that about any rival's service.

It's not based on fact so I'd say Skylum's marketing is... disingenuous. A v poor show, imo.

Technically it's still available; but how many people in the real world on finding the lowest price on a company's web site would then do a Google search to find a lower (hidden) price on the same site? I consider it sharp practice at the least. It doesn't matter if the cloud storage is greater unless you actually want it...

Technically it's still available; but how many people in the real world on finding the lowest price on a company's web site would then do a Google search to find a lower (hidden) price on the same site? I consider it sharp practice at the least. It doesn't matter if the cloud storage is greater unless you actually want it...
I've just looked at www.adobe.co.uk clicked on Photography plan and it says 'Get the Creative Cloud Photography plan starting at just £9.98/mo incl. VAT' and on the linked page lists three plans - the first is £9.98 a month - How is that 'hidden'?

Last edited:
Because apparently Adobe have been deliberately hiding that price from some people to see if they'd pay more. At least according to this thread. If you think it's fine to walk into a shop and be offered goods at twice the price offered to the next person through, fine. It's legal.

Even if Adobe were paying retail pricing for cloud storage (and you can bet they are paying only a small fraction of that) they'd be increasing their margin by about £4/month (e.g. MS charges £6/month for an Office subscription that includes 1TB). In practice, most of the extra £10 a month will be pure profit. We don't yet know if this will become the only PS+LR plan, but the fact they are conducting this 'testing' (hiding the £10 plan from some customers) makes it pretty obvious they are at least thinking about it.

I can still see the old plan, but some algorithm or other decided that other people couldn't (unless they jumped through extra hoops). To me, this amounts to treating these customers with contempt, and Adobe deserves the bad press they are getting.

Because apparently Adobe have been deliberately hiding that price from some people to see if they'd pay more. At least according to this thread. If you think it's fine to walk into a shop and be offered goods at twice the price offered to the next person through, fine. It's legal.

Not. The. Same. Goods.

As I've just said they aren't hiding the price - It's the first thing you see when you visit their website and click on the photographers page https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/photography.html

If a car company produced a deluxe version of its cheapest model for £5k more, then promoted it on their home page…

Would it be right so say that company has increased the price of the car by £5k? No.

Would you expect a company to market that their rival is increasing prices? No.

Would you expect a company to market that their rival is increasing prices, after that rival has said it’s a promo/price trial? No, no, no!

If the company did actually withdraw its cheapest, no-frills model, it would be different....

Not. The. Same. Goods.

'Don't worry, you can still buy this laptop for double the price you paid last year, but we're throwing in a USB drive! What, your friend got the old price 5 minutes ago? Well his jacket was scruffier than yours. But if you insist, we might have the old package in the storeroom somewhere, though there's no guarantee you'll be able to get one tomorrow...'

As I've just said they aren't hiding the price - It's the first thing you see when you visit their website and click on the photographers page https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/photography.html

By the miracle of dynamic web page design, not everyone is (or was) seeing the same prices, which is one of the main things that upset people.

Just had a friendly email form Adobe part of which reads:
Our records show that you may be using the following version(s) of these applications. LIGHTROOM CLASSIC:6.0 Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties.
Cripes:eek::LOL:

Just had a friendly email form Adobe part of which reads:

Cripes:eek::LOL:

How bizarre is that !!!!

AFAIK LR version 6 was never referred to as 'Classic' and as a Perpetual License product, granted it is discontinued i.e. no longer available or supported, how in what way does an end user become and infringer of third parties????

Is this a genuine Adobe email and do they provide a link or fuller details?

Edit ~ here is Adobes own download page for legacy products
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-previous-version-apps-download.html
...............though oddly they do make reference to all those on this page being 'legacy Creative Cloud' Apps. Looking at the Windows .exe file it has the same name as I have on my original d/l i.e. no difference to what was sold as the Perpetual License version.

The last published date on the linked page is 10th May 2019, so surely if what you were sent in the email was genuine they should have some sort of disclaimer on that page for their legacy version(s)???

Edit 2 ~ I wonder if it has anything to with the Map module as mentioned here https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom/kb/map-view-no-longer-supported.html though again no reference to an infringement issue???

Last edited:
How bizarre is that !!!!

AFAIK LR version 6 was never referred to as 'Classic' and as a Perpetual License product, granted it is discontinued i.e. no longer available or supported, how in what way does an end user become and infringer of third parties????

Is this a genuine Adobe email and do they provide a link or fuller details?
Seems genuine, this is the full version. Hope I don't get done for infringement of something or other by quoting it :LOL::banghead:

Dear Valued Customer, At Adobe, we always strive to deliver more value to our customers, including much requested new features and capabilities, critical bug fixes and security updates. For these reasons we recommend all customers use the latest release of our Creative Cloud applications. We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and as a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them. Our records show that you may be using the following version(s) of these applications. LIGHTROOM CLASSIC:6.0 Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties. Please upgrade to the latest version(s) using the instructions below. By upgrading, you will continue to receive all the value that Creative Cloud has to offer. Here’s what to do next:
  • For the simplest experience, download and install the latest version of the applications listed above using the Creative Cloud Desktop application
  • If you do not have the Creative Cloud Desktop application, you can download and install it here.
  • For detailed instructions on how to use the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click here.
  • You can also download and install these applications (after signing in) from Adobe.com here.
Should you have any difficulties, Adobe’s Customer Support organisation is available to answer any questions about upgrading your Creative Cloud software. Please contact them here. Finally, we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you in advance for your cooperation. Regards,
The Adobe Team

Although doubling the price to £20 a month from £10 would seem unfair, £20 a month isn't that bad if it is something you use all the time, and if it's not something you use very often then it probably isn't the package for you. I presently pay close to £50 a month for the CC suite although I only ever use LR, PS, and a little of Premiere and AE, if they doubled that to £100 a month I would cancel and go for the photography package and buy a video editing package without a sub.

Seems genuine, this is the full version. Hope I don't get done for infringement of something or other by quoting it :LOL::banghead:

So, somewhere in the original EULA for LR6 there is maybe a clause that says they can revoke the license unilaterally with no notice other than the 'stronge arm' tactic of "stop using it and buy into the CC product...."

Talk about further alienating their historical customer base! :(

PS as mentioned before, my use of LR is mainly for the DAM (looks like ACDsee basic will do that for me?) and now {though still wedded to LR and still learning about DxO} the initial pre-processing before I export to DxO PL2 .

Edit ~ I have just looked a recent Adobe emails to me. Though they were pushing LRCC for £8.32 per month (I hardly ever read them but the offer expired on 9th May!) there is no mention that I can see or find that the my old v6 will in any way become illegal to use because of the EULA being actioned.

Last edited:
If this email is genuine (I have no idea if it is), Adobe might actually be referring to LR CC 2015 as 'Lightroom Classic 6.0', just as more recent versions of Lightroom Classic CC are sometimes given the version numbers 7.x and 8.x - i.e., this could be a reference to the LR 'generation' rather than CC vs standalone. Maybe Adobe wants all CC users to migrate away from the earlier versions of their packages? Perhaps the LR CC licence makes this compulsory? I don't imagine the LR6 perpetual licence has any such requirement.

If this email is genuine (I have no idea if it is), Adobe might actually be referring to LR CC 2015 as 'Lightroom Classic 6.0', just as more recent versions of Lightroom Classic CC are sometimes given the version numbers 7.x and 8.x - i.e., this could be a reference to the LR 'generation' rather than CC vs standalone. Maybe Adobe wants all CC users to migrate away from the earlier versions of their packages? Perhaps the LR CC licence makes this compulsory? I don't imagine the LR6 perpetual licence has any such requirement.

I think that at the time of transition where they introduced a cloud version in parallel with V6 it was called Lightroom CC 2015.x /LR 6 (the 'x' reference was to sub version) I think it shows that on the Adobe page I linked to above?

LR6 was the last stand alone version afaik, the last one I bought, and still have was 5.7, I refused to 'upgrade' to 6.0 because it offered naff all for me. I'd been paying for upgrades since 4.0. Now I'm tied in with CC sub [because it actually does offer improvements I want] and feel a bit p***ed off because the old versions I paid for are useless ... but ... I still prefer LR to any other photo-edit software on the market. **trapped**

My copy they were referring to is the stand alone LR6 that I purchased as a "one time" in 2017. I think they are sending this email out to all such purchasers to get them to take out a CC plan.
Left hand and right hand not talking as I already have a CC plan. Like the impetuous fool I am I deleted my LR6 copy when taking out my CC plan as it wouldn't read my Sony raw files. In hindsight I should have done more research and downloaded the Adobe DNG converter app and just carried on with LR6, I don't need the other stuff that comes with it.

Left hand and right hand not talking as I already have a CC plan. Like the impetuous fool I am I deleted my LR6 copy when taking out my CC plan as it wouldn't read my Sony raw files. In hindsight I should have done more research and downloaded the Adobe DNG converter app and just carried on with LR6, I don't need the other stuff that comes with it.

I feel a bit "Billy-no-mates" as not (yet) having received the email. However my surname is nearer the lower end of the alphabet so there is still time.

I upgraded from LR5 to LR6 late in 2017 and have had no problems whatever with the program reading my Sony .ARW raw files with no need to use the DNG converter.

Back