So it really is time to ditch Adobe

It it was to rise 100% I would move on. As a retiree I could not justify the cost.
I have been looking at alternative raw processors and image management programs. Alternatives to photoshop is rather easier.

Well, apart from a bit of confused debate in one of the fora.

DP Review have posted that Adobe are doing a 'test price increase' ~ whatever that is or means, here:-

https://www.dpreview.com/news/65417...nth-photography-plan-with-1tb-20-month-option

Make of that what you will!

PS please don't shoot the messenger..........................I don't even use the CC programs, I have older perpetual licenses......and other software ;)

Last edited:
Adobe UK has stated that the £9.99 Photo Plan is still available and will continue to stay at the same rate for customers.

Where did you find that, i looked on the Adobe UK site and the £9.99 plan was gone

Can can have photoshop for 9.99 if you have 20GB instead of 1TB storage.

This is what i get

Capture 1.JPG

All very strange as I've just signed up for £8.27 Month / £99.27 Year to Photo Plan after getting email from Adobe. Pretty good as I get 2 free months through Canon CPS as well.

Been thinking of doing it for months but waiting fror the corrct price to come along.

Stuart

Is this for new sign ups? Do existing subscribers get to renew on their current terms?

Who would want to commit to storage, if a year or so down the line they would double the price?
I would not want to tie storage into a subscription to a program... what happens when you want to move on?

I guess they are playing games with us. I wonder if its based on browser you are using, or OS or IP, or something else to randomise what offer you get.

This, Adobe "experiment" with fees, has been mentioned a few times in the past week or so, and every time I check, I am offered the £9.98 Photography Plan.

Well ime ok until December so will see where it ends.

Time to change to ON1 Photo Raw :D

Is this not an annual sub too Mike, albeit less money than Adobe?

I've got an old Lightroom program and just waiting for the day that they somehow pull the plug on it, so looking for future alternatives

Is this not an annual sub too Mike, albeit less money than Adobe?

No - perpetual license

I've got an old Lightroom program and just waiting for the day that they somehow pull the plug on it, so looking for future alternatives

I continue to use LR 5.7 alongside DXO 11 and On1 photoraw. Planning a swap to a larger SSD soon, and hope that LR keeps working - I used to have a film pack that stopped after a couple of years and a reinstall.

I saw this on a Facebook lightroom group earlier today, so i Googled, Adobe subscription and it took me to the Adobe creative cloud (cc) page, where it showed the price plans, the £9.98 20 GB plan was/is still showing, along with the £19.97 1TB plan.

DP Review have posted that Adobe are doing a 'test price increase' ~ whatever that is or means
It seems:

"From time to time, we run tests on Adobe.com which cover a range of items, including plan options that may or may not be presented to all visitors to Adobe.com. We are currently running a number of tests on Adobe.com.

Translation: 'We hiked the price for some customers to see if they'd still bite. We know we've got a large captive audience here, and we can afford to lose nearly half of them if we can get away with doubling the cost. Or maybe we're just doing this to make the current plan look like a bargain. You have no way of knowing. We're Adobe, and we can do what we like.'

Translation: 'We hiked the price for some customers to see if they'd still bite. We know we've got a large captive audience here, and we can afford to lose nearly half of them if we can get away with doubling the cost. Or maybe we're just doing this to make the current plan look like a bargain. You have no way of knowing. We're Adobe, and we can do what we like.'
Cynical maybe but possibly, as it does come across that way, not that far off of the mark!

A watch this space situation, methinks???

I find Adobe to be a bit like Apple, I hate being stuck in the ecosystem but the alternatives just aren't as good for me so always end up back at Lightroom, particularly as I do some editing on my iPad and LR is still by far the best tool there.

That said, I have just downloaded and tried Luminar 3, and although it isn't LR, will take a bit of getting used to and the whole 'AI' thing annoys me I think I could live with it as the output seems fine, especially as with the current sale price and a code it is only £45. I'll DL a trial of Capture One too and see how that works.

I probably only use LR twice a month max so IF the prices are doubled I think I could make do, it would also be nice to only have one subscription of online storage (iCloud).

I find Adobe to be a bit like Apple, I hate being stuck in the ecosystem but the alternatives just aren't as good for me so always end up back at Lightroom, particularly as I do some editing on my iPad and LR is still by far the best tool there.

That said, I have just downloaded and tried Luminar 3, and although it isn't LR, will take a bit of getting used to and the whole 'AI' thing annoys me I think I could live with it as the output seems fine, especially as with the current sale price and a code it is only £45. I'll DL a trial of Capture One too and see how that works.

I probably only use LR twice a month max so IF the prices are doubled I think I could make do, it would also be nice to only have one subscription of online storage (iCloud).

This sounds similar to me. I like Apple products and like adobe products. At the moment, I'm okay with what I'm paying Adobe but if it came to a point where I felt loyalty was being exploited, I'd move on. But I use LR for literally everything. Every digital photo we have is cataloged, key worded and sorted in there. The thought of starting again or running two systems fills me with dread. Some people seem quite happy to just swap around.

That said, I have just downloaded and tried Luminar 3, and although it isn't LR, will take a bit of getting used to and the whole 'AI' thing annoys me I think I could live with it as the output seems fine, especially as with the current sale price and a code it is only £45.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with this. I watched a review on YouTube and the guy found it very slow when saving/exporting images and was put off by that.

I looked at a review of ON1 Raw 2019 last night too and that looked nice. Not sure old there is a trial version of that you could have a look at too as that looked very good

"So it really is time to ditch Adobe?" Even if you can still pay the old price now, you can be sure that they intend to increase prices at some stage.
This price hike was always inevitable when people use it "because it's an industry standard" rather than "because it suits them". Especially hobbyists. Adobe don't really need to care any more. "People will use PS/LR regardless".
But we see many people have already been ditching Adobe. This price hike will accelerate that. Which is good news for Adobe users. As Adobe may start to worry about the well being of its users more.

It's not a price increase. The amount of incorrect reporting around this is staggering. This plan has always existed, and has always been £20 a month for Lightroom CC, Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and 1Tb of cloud storage. You can get Lightroom CC on it's own with 1Tb of cloud storage for £9.99 a month as you have always been able to.

They are clearly testing the waters for killing off Lightroom Classic and moving everybody to CC. Classic has moved right down to the bottom of the apps list on the Creative Cloud desktop app recently. There are only a couple of minor things that are keeping me from switching, but I'm hoping they will be fixed very soon.

Edit: It's also much cheaper to pay for a year upfront, particularly if you can get it from Amazon on Black Friday. I got a 12 month subcription for £75 last year and I'll be looking for a similar deal this year.

Last edited:
It's not a price increase. The amount of incorrect reporting around this is staggering. This plan has always existed, and has always been £20 a month for Lightroom CC, Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and 1Tb of cloud storage. You can get Lightroom CC on it's own with 1Tb of cloud storage for £9.99 a month as you have always been able to.
That doesn't explain why the PS + LR £10 plan was intentionally hidden from some customers. Adobe probably pays peanuts for the extra cloud storage in the £20 plan that many users will never max out.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with this. I watched a review on YouTube and the guy found it very slow when saving/exporting images and was put off by that.

I looked at a review of ON1 Raw 2019 last night too and that looked nice. Not sure old there is a trial version of that you could have a look at too as that looked very good
I've recently abandoned adobe and have bought both ON1 and and Luminar 3. They're both quite slow on my Macbook Air 2015 but I can live with that, but I'm not a professional photographer with hundreds if not thousands of images to process. To be fair, Lightroom was slow on my computer as well. Currently I'm using Luminar more than ON1 as I like the workflow but they're both pretty decent raw processors. The DAM isn't a patch on Lightroom though. I got Luminar for £37 and ON1 for £50 so less than a years sub to Adobe. With hindsight, I probably should have only bought Luminar as it pretty much covers everything I need.

Last edited:
That doesn't explain why the PS + LR £10 plan was intentionally hidden from some customers. Adobe probably pays peanuts for the extra cloud storage in the £20 plan that many users will never max out.

Adobe have explained it. It's an A/B test that is hiding it for some users, basically to test whether people will go for it. I would imagine they want to make Lightroom Classic so expensive that nobody goes for it, everyone gets Lightroom CC instead and then they can kill off or at least stop development of Classic.

To be clear the £9.99 plan is still available you just have to look a bit harder to find it.

Back