So, Mrs Brown's Boy is the Best Comedy of the Century So Far

I don't take much notice of these types of lists,
Read one similar about the best films of the 21st century recently, which rated Mulholland Drive as number 1 !!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Anyone that thinks that is th ebest film of the last 16 years is either wrong, or brain dead!! :D:D:D

I'm surprised by Count Arthur Strong. I thought it worked quite well when it was on radio, but I did not think it transferred to TV at all well.
I agree. The first few series of Count Arthur Strong on the radio were superb. The routine when he was attempting to buy a tent almost made me crash the car!

I was eagerly awaiting the transfer onto the telly, but it was pretty much unwatchable. Moving him from Doncaster to London, completely changing the whole cast of supporting characters, and watering down his complete persona all robbed it of what made it funny. I can see why they did it to some extent. If they had transferred him to TV as the original alcohol dependent , belligerent, elderly idiot it would have been hard to get him a mid evening slot, (although it worked for Father Jack, which is a bit ironic seeing as Graham Lineham, the great comedy writer responsible for Father Ted was drafted in to help transfer the Count to the TV).

Mrs Browns Boys - I'm not saying that I haven't laughed out loud at times, but it is quite lazy comedy, hugely predictable, (I'm not convinced by the supposed ad-libs and corpsing), and now all a bit wearing.

Best TV comedy so far this millennium? For me, Green Wing, first season of Friday Night Dinner, or Peep Show. I'd love a new sketch show that could compete with the late 80s / early 90s Absolutely though.

I agree. The first few series of Count Arthur Strong on the radio were superb. The routine when he was attempting to buy a tent almost made me crash the car!

I was eagerly awaiting the transfer onto the telly, but it was pretty much unwatchable. Moving him from Doncaster to London, completely changing the whole cast of supporting characters, and watering down his complete persona all robbed it of what made it funny. I can see why they did it to some extent. If they had transferred him to TV as the original alcohol dependent , belligerent, elderly idiot it would have been hard to get him a mid evening slot, (although it worked for Father Jack, which is a bit ironic seeing as Graham Lineham, the great comedy writer responsible for Father Ted was drafted in to help transfer the Count to the TV).

Mrs Browns Boys - I'm not saying that I haven't laughed out loud at times, but it is quite lazy comedy, hugely predictable, (I'm not convinced by the supposed ad-libs and corpsing), and now all a bit wearing.

Best TV comedy so far this millennium? For me, Green Wing, first season of Friday Night Dinner, or Peep Show. I'd love a new sketch show that could compete with the late 80s / early 90s Absolutely though.

If you ever get the chance to see the Count live, do it. He is hysterical.

Dont get it but never got Little Britain either. But humour is a very personal thing.

I don't take much notice of these types of lists,
Read one similar about the best films of the 21st century recently, which rated Mulholland Drive as number 1 !!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Anyone that thinks that is th ebest film of the last 16 years is either wrong, or brain dead!! :D:D:D
Whats the best film of the 21st century then?

Fuji's Velvia 100?

Never got into it myself though the few bits of it I've watched were not terrible. I have friends that love it but I wouldn't say it's the best ever.

I have to say I'm amazed at "The Office" getting second place, that was a truly woeful series of programs.
Not a fan myself, office that is, but it has won plenty of awards, was remade in the US and is the BBC's biggest comedy export, so plenty of people do.

Didnt really watch the series but her indoors bought me a ticket to see it live (no idea why). It really was poor from start to finish

I guess it's the same cohort of people who ask who the best British Female singer-songwriter is.

I would suspect the vast majority would yell Adele. Can't bloody stand the pottymouth walrus...songs have a stalky theme to them.. Move on love..

Yesterday, I was queuing through Chiswick and R2 was playing Fleetwood Mac's 'You make loving fun'.. Written by Christine PERFECT McVie, who was in the process of having a lot of fun with one of the roadies...meanwhile he band's bassist John McVie, stoned out of his head, continues to play bass on this tune and sometimes sings to this track.. compare this with the Nicks-Buckingham fireworks.. (you have to watch the Rumours documentary). Christine has been making songs since the late 60s, yet she is overlooked in favour of you know who...

so, what I am trying to say is that it's not always the most watched that's the best - some of the more obscure comedies on lesser watched channels are much funnier than MBB.

The Bourne Identity
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men
Downfall
The Skin I Live In

All better than Bourne IMO.

The Lord of the Rings films were also pretty good, although Sam got on my nerves.

I thought The Office was fantastic, innovative comedy, before Gervais got up his own h*le. I'm old school though, my all time favourites are Auf widersehen pet, Dad's army, Fawlty towers, Steptoe and son. I mean how many of todays so called comedy shows will be remembered in 40 years, nevermind be instantly recognizable by a single quote from the show ?
For example, "do you think that's awfully wise ?
As for movies, I like all sorts, I agree with the post above, La piel que habito is a fantastic movie, fantastic twist which I never saw coming, but I've always loved Almodovar's movies, especially Volver (mmmmm. Penelope Cruz :whistle: )
I also love Luc Besson's movies, Leon is one of my all time favourites. And I'm a big fan of the Bourne movies.
Hate Mrs Browns boys though, but sometimes If it's on I'll watch it and have laughed out loud on occasions.

I thought The Office was fantastic, innovative comedy, before Gervais got up his own h*le. I'm old school though, my all time favourites are Auf widersehen pet, Dad's army, Fawlty towers, Steptoe and son. I mean how many of todays so called comedy shows will be remembered in 40 years, nevermind be instantly recognizable by a single quote from the show ?
For example, "do you think that's awfully wise ?
As for movies, I like all sorts, I agree with the post above, La piel que habito is a fantastic movie, fantastic twist which I never saw coming, but I've always loved Almodovar's movies, especially Volver (mmmmm. Penelope Cruz :whistle: )
I also love Luc Besson's movies, Leon is one of my all time favourites. And I'm a big fan of the Bourne movies.
Hate Mrs Browns boys though, but sometimes If it's on I'll watch it and have laughed out loud on occasions.
With new generations new things will be remembered. What you quoted doesn't mean anything to me at all.

Doesn't make either better or worse, it's just different. I've generally found that the old stuff is always better in memory then in reality when I watch it again.

Back