So what film camera/bit of kit have you been obsessing about today?

Grays of Westminster still have one in stock £1979

At that price it would be interesting to know who would buy the F6 to use as I would think these days advanced amateurs or pros would use digi for 35mm and MF or LF for film.

At that price it would be interesting to know who would buy the F6 to use as I would think these days advanced amateurs or pros would use digi for 35mm and MF or LF for film.

Rich folk who shoot 35mm film. It's an almost one off so Gray's will not worry about it being on their stock list for a while and at some point someone with the spare cash will think 'time to try an f6'. If they had dozens then the price would be less, simple supply and demand.

What Andy says, plus perhaps a London banker who's just got their bonus and always wanted an F6 as a youngster but couldn't afford one when they were 'new'. For someone like that, £2k is about the same as someone on an average wage buying a Chinese takeaway and a bottle of wine for the family. Then again, it could go to a collector who's got all the other top F* series Nikons and wants to complete the set with a new one.

Last edited:
So I have recently been thinking I'd love to find a nice Nikon from the year I was born and now as I'm putting my first car back on the road a 1969 Mini that I've owned since I was 16 I'm now thinking I' want one the same age as the car too (I know sad isn't it?

So I have recently been thinking I'd love to find a nice Nikon from the year I was born and now as I'm putting my first car back on the road a 1969 Mini that I've owned since I was 16 I'm now thinking I' want one the same age as the car too (I know sad isn't it?
So are you after a 1969 Nikon?

I'm obsessing about...which of the old cameras in my box of inherited stuff to try out first. I'm definitely going to try a Rolleiflex 4x4 ("baby") which seems to be in good condition. I've managed to get some 127 film for it. I've also got a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta rangefinder (120) in the box also in very good nick, which will be next on the list. There are various ancient folders in the box, which will need more investigation, and several Leica 3's, so I'm spoilt for choice in 35mm. Nice problem to have!

Come on Nick sell me your F4 cheap.....I really should sell my mint Yashica T5 with case and buy a mint F4 but don't 100% trust the bay yanno buyer never received item etc with buyer favoured over seller. In May one sold (on the bay) for £435 :eek:

I'm obsessing about...which of the old cameras in my box of inherited stuff to try out first. I'm definitely going to try a Rolleiflex 4x4 ("baby") which seems to be in good condition. I've managed to get some 127 film for it. I've also got a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta rangefinder (120) in the box also in very good nick, which will be next on the list. There are various ancient folders in the box, which will need more investigation, and several Leica 3's, so I'm spoilt for choice in 35mm. Nice problem to have!
@Andysnap has recently bought one of those baby Rolleis, so you'll be able to swap notes (and results) with him. Some of those other cameras sound good fun too. There's plenty of info on where to buy film and get it processed at reasonable prices here in the F&C section too, but just ask if you can't find it or want some info. Best of luck with the cameras and don't forget to post some of you pics once you've tried them out. (y)

Xpan. I fancy something panoramic to make use of the reams of 35mm film I have.

There isn't a 120 panoramic camera that is as easy as the GA645i to use is there? I'm umming about selling that to fund something panoramic. I think the Xpan is far too pricey for me. It'd be another camera I did about one or two rolls through and then couldn't be arsed.

I know large format with the sheet film isn't any good either as I'm too much of a dopey clot. 120 is tricky enough.

Last edited:
There are some 612 and 617 pinhole cameras, I think...

There are some 612 and 617 pinhole cameras, I think...

Never been a fan of pinholes. I'm also cheap so I'm more likely to get a cheap lens cap and cut a hole in it than buy a proper pinhole camera!

Its not easy.
An Xpan is not the kind of camera you're likely to get can't be arsed about, but it'll cost you 2k to find out.
Xpan-esque ratio is 3-1 ish, so if you're looking at shooting 35 in a 120 camera, its gonna have to be 6x7, and to minimize distortion (if that matters to you) 60-65mm lens.
6x8 is borderline and 6x9 is just too long unless you fancy throwing half your film away.
So that narrows your options down to next to nothing.
You could shoot with a standard lens but they're mostly 90.
Nearest option is a fuji gsw680 65mm lens, the older 6x7 doesn't come with a WA, the newer has a WA option but cost is in xpan country.
120 pano is 617.
Obviously I'm only covering the cheaper RF's, there are other more expensive 6x7 RF's like Mamiya 7, Plaubell Makina but we're getting in to xpan country again.
Not covering 6x7 box and SLR's either since the Xpan is an RF, but you could shoot 3-1 on an RB or Pentax 67, but they are big lumps comparatively.
There are other 6x7 oddballs like linhof 220 and horseman convertible, but they're not that cheap and difficult to find.

If you're not bothered about 3-1 or are prepared to crop horizontally, any 6x6 will do, or in fact your 645...:)

The other thought was a 6x7 or 6x9 folder that's more pocketable.

Do like the look of the Plaubel. There is a Fuji that does 617 but that's also an expensive walloper.

Just busy an XPan. It's awesome! Have a look at @FujiLove photos he has been posting recently from Iceland.

The xpan does seem something special. But at £2k+ they'd have to be.

What is it that you don’t like about pinhole cameras @srichards ?

Now wondering whether to try a lomography Bell end er bellair as a cheap alternative. That offers multi format and panorama features. Foldable.

If only you knew of someone who lived close enough for you to try one? ;)

Stop it! I’ve got enough on without starting to work out which internal organs to sell! (but thanks [emoji6])

I’ve got a Leica CL sitting here that I borrowed off a friend to scratch the itch I’ve always had for them too. I’m glad I borrowed it and not bought one because I still don’t really get on with rangefinders as I’m left eye dominant. Maybe I should file the XPan under the same logic and save myself some money!

Everything. They're the marmite of the camera world for me. Sorry! :coat:
Don’t be sorry Suz, I get that they’re not everyone cup of tea but it seemed like you were going to try it anyway.

Stop it! I’ve got enough on without starting to work out which internal organs to sell! (but thanks [emoji6])

I’ve got a Leica CL sitting here that I borrowed off a friend to scratch the itch I’ve always had for them too. I’m glad I borrowed it and not bought one because I still don’t really get on with rangefinders as I’m left eye dominant. Maybe I should file the XPan under the same logic and save myself some money!

Awwww we could have negotiated a play with a Chroma in way of an exchange!

FYI, the rangefinder patch on the XPan is very bright and easy to use.

Awwww we could have negotiated a play with a Chroma in way of an exchange!

FYI, the rangefinder patch on the XPan is very bright and easy to use.

Hmmm....interesting! Tell you what, if you want to try out a Chroma I'm up for a swap if you are. I'm currently building up my own camera (I've got 84 boxes of Chroma parts in my office and none of them are mine!). Once it's built, I'll give you a shout and we can sort it out. Thanks for the offer :)

Hmmm....interesting! Tell you what, if you want to try out a Chroma I'm up for a swap if you are. I'm currently building up my own camera (I've got 84 boxes of Chroma parts in my office and none of them are mine!). Once it's built, I'll give you a shout and we can sort it out. Thanks for the offer :)

Ah that’s awesome! Thank you.
I’ll shoot some portraits on one and social media the shiz out of it!

Don’t be sorry Suz, I get that they’re not everyone cup of tea but it seemed like you were going to try it anyway.

It's one you think you ought to as all the cool kids are playing with pinhole cameras. It's like car people having to own an Alfa :)

It's one you think you ought to as all the cool kids are playing with pinhole cameras. It's like car people having to own an Alfa :)
Yeah, my brother had an Alfa, lovely to look at but it kept breaking down.

I can lend you a Nikon with a Pinhole body cap if you want to have a play, or if you’ve already got a Nikon body I can lend you the cap.

Yeah, my brother had an Alfa, lovely to look at but it kept breaking down.

I can lend you a Nikon with a Pinhole body cap if you want to have a play, or if you’ve already got a Nikon body I can lend you the cap.

No need. I can always make my own with a spare body cap and a small aubergine ;)

Back