So what film camera/bit of kit have you been obsessing about today?

Name
Suz
Edit My Images
Yes
Idea stolen from another forum...

Today I have mostly been obsessing over half frame cameras and wondering whether one would be a good idea. Again. Ooh Pen E.

Got my eye on a very nice 40mm lens for the ETRS;)........Guess I]m trying to console myelf having now spent 3 full days in bed practically unable to do anything suffering with flu.:puke::(

Thank the Lawd for TP to keep me sane as I spiral into a depth of despair wondering wether I'll ever be myself again :D

I'm really toying with the idea of developing my own negatives at home so looking at what's needed - never done anything like it before so a bit daunting :)

I'm really toying with the idea of developing my own negatives at home so looking at what's needed - never done anything like it before so a bit daunting :)
The apprehension beforehand is harder to deal with than actually doing it, like many things in life.............b&w is a doddle, and tbh colour isn't overly difficult, just requires tighter control over temperatures.

Go for it(y)

I believe there is a sticky at the top of the f&c page iirc

Got my eye on a very nice 40mm lens for the ETRS;)........Guess I]m trying to console myelf having now spent 3 full days in bed practically unable to do anything suffering with flu.:puke::(

Thank the Lawd for TP to keep me sane as I spiral into a depth of despair wondering wether I'll ever be myself again :D

get_well_soon_images_7336210361.png

Today I have mostly been obsessing over half frame cameras and wondering whether one would be a good idea. Again. Ooh Pen E.
Give it a whirl Suz
You can sell it on easily enough I suspect if it doesn't come up to expectations

I remember having a loan of a half-frame camera many years ago and put a 36 exposure film in it. Hard to remember how long it can take to go through 72 (half) frames, and I always felt the negs were really too small. :thinking:

II always felt the negs were really too small. :thinking:

Similar for me Peter

Albiet mine were 127 format (I still have the purma apecial and some efke film) so the frames were larger.

I think what stopped me shooting it was the farce of trying to scan the seriously curly negs

Shame really as the purma is an interesting camera to use and iirc the shutter trigger is operated by the jeft hand

Edit, I did have a 35mm half frame camera for a short while ........Mercury II

and yes it took an age to shoot a roll, hence I sold it!

Last edited:
Today I have been mainly obsessing about my inability to take a decent large format shot.....

I have been given two half-frames in the past - a Pen EE2 and EE3 - example results are here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=33186310@N03&sort=date-taken-desc&text=half-frame&view_all=1

However, it should be noted that the camera's weren't physically any smaller, as far as I recall, than the Olympus full-frame 35mm compacts such as the Trip or 35RC. Given the issues of scanning and length of time to use up a roll that others have mentioned, I couldn't find any practical reasons to choose to use the half-frame cameras.

Of course, practicality does not have much to do with why we buy old cameras .....

Getting my OM2N fixed. Sent it off for a CLA a few months back but the Post Office decided to damage it in transit & dent the top cover. Been biding my time on ebay looking for a parts body with a decent top cover & finally got one just before Christmas.

If you want to have a lot of fun without maybe having to spend a fortune on a darkroom, have a look at the little Minox cameras that used to be known as spy cameras. They take 8x11 film which is readily available and ready made films can also be purchased. You can then purchase an old Minox Daylight developing tank.. Great fun, you'll learn developing and you'll always have a camera with you as these things are the size of a cigarette lighter.

I'm now obsessing about the canon Demi instead. ..

Canon Dial Rapid for 24x18 on 35mm film in Rapid cassettes. With 30mm f2.5 Canon lens. A really good example, I'm confident it works properly, but am waiting for the correct batteries to come (not a difficult battery, I am just out of stock) The spring motor, shutter etc all work without issue. Comes with two Rapid cassettes, also case and lens cap. This is a scarce camera, and no mistake, I can't find another example for sale anywhere. exc++ £99 PHOTO (they've got a Pen S as well, but price list is 3 Dec)

http://www.collectablecameras.com/cameralist.htm

Toying with a 150mm for my Hasselblad but mostly wondering what I should sell.

I have far too many 35mm cameras in too many different systems, I never know what to use!

Thinking about getting an enlarger and deep dev tanks, but also finding a place to set it all up.

Sorry to hear about your flu and a like for your 40mm for the ETRS...... for me since I stopped doing portraiture many years ago find the ETRS superior (well more liked) to my RB67 ONLY because it's quicker to use, handles more like a very large SLR and is a lot lighter and 15 shots is about right for an ordinary amateur.

Trying to decide if I really,really need a Manfrotto beefree tripod, I am virtually convinced I really really need one

Trying to decide if I really,really need a Manfrotto beefree tripod, I am virtually convinced I really really need one

Well I need a waspfree tripod in my garden...bloody pests if you disturb the ground nesting ones taking shots of flowers etc. :D

Last edited:
We've got a Canon Dial 35 half frame camera which has a slightly out of the ordinary appearance. It's fun as a novelty item (and famously used professionally by David Bailey) and works well for candids, but ultimately the small negative was too small for me.

I'm more likely to obsess over perhaps getting a proper camera that takes 10x8 film...

I recommend them wholeheartedly. They take the weight of a Bronica SQ no problem

I had one until I threw it into a lake.

Don't ask.

I will be getting another.

Guess I]m trying to console myelf having now spent 3 full days in bed practically unable to do anything suffering with flu.:puke::(

Sorry to hear that - get well soon.

I recommend them wholeheartedly. They take the weight of a Bronica SQ no problem

Don't ask.

Ah yes, now we're into a new year, perhaps it's an appropriate time to give a subtle reminder of how both you and @Andysnap have "issues" with wet locations :ROFLMAO::exit::D:D

If you want to have a lot of fun without maybe having to spend a fortune on a darkroom, have a look at the little Minox cameras that used to be known as spy cameras. They take 8x11 film which is readily available and ready made films can also be purchased. You can then purchase an old Minox Daylight developing tank.. Great fun, you'll learn developing and you'll always have a camera with you as these things are the size of a cigarette lighter.

Sounds like something I can look at to get me started :)

Sorry to hear about your flu and a like for your 40mm for the ETRS...... for me since I stopped doing portraiture many years ago find the ETRS superior (well more liked) to my RB67 ONLY because it's quicker to use, handles more like a very large SLR and is a lot lighter and 15 shots is about right for an ordinary amateur.

Oh dammit, I'm finding myself checking out the 105mm too to fill the gap between the 75 and 150 that I already have ( as well as the 50)

Trying to decide between the DJI Mavic and Phantom 4 Pro.. Decided on Mavic but there's no stock and the wait will kill me.

Shouldn't you be in bed feeling yourself, or something?

:D

Get well soon Asha

I am doing just that my good man:naughty::D:D

I'm bored s***less as I can't sleep and I feel like carp.........Wifi is just ace innit?, beats taking a book to bed even if it may end up costing me a small fortune:D

Oh dammit, I'm finding myself checking out the 105mm too to fill the gap between the 75 and 150 that I already have ( as well as the 50)

Are you not bothered to have the prism and speedgrip? I fitted both in 1986 and never taken them off.

Don't ask.

So I take it the fishing trip to get it back didn't go as planned?

aah, no.

Well remembered.

I spent an hour with a huge, weighted treble hook on a line.

Got some very funny looks but no tripod.

Are you not bothered to have the prism and speedgrip? I fitted both in 1986 and never taken them off.

I have both the grip and prism

Sometimes I attach the grip but the pism I haven't used in a while, prefering the WLF

One thing i found with the prism, was the exposure was on lots of frames were underexposed......I don't think there is a fault with the prism metering, more that it seems to pick up on the highlights just leaving the shadows with very little detail.

I'll have to play with it again and add a stop or so of compensation.

I'll have to play with it again and add a stop or so of compensation.

Sounds like the perfect time to write a "to do" list for this sort of thing that you might forget once you're well again?

Back