SOcameras (used) vs new grey market (Panamoz, etc)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a Canon 5d Mark IV and an L lens. I can get both at a similar price from either SOcameras (they are slightly used with around 1000 shutter count, originally from Jessops apparently), or go to somewhere like Panamoz and get them new.

My assumption is that the SOcameras version is either ex-demo, or a return, and then Jessops sells them to SOcameras or something like that?... No idea if the 1 year warranty is with SOcameras or if its a manufacturers warranty. I'm guessing the former..

Panamoz seem to have a good reputation and offer a 3 year warranty, but if I can get genuine UK that might be better for piece of mind and later re-sale. On the other hand SOcameras do not seem to have the reputation of Panamoz and the like, and it's only a 1 year warranty.

I'd like to get a few opinions on this please in case there is something I haven't thought of ... It's a lot of money to spend so any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think any later buyer will care where the stuff original came from. At least I was never asked.

I (and I did it) would buy from Panamoz. Panamoz is £400 cheaper for new with 3-years warranty compared to a used from SOcameras. That is probably 1/3 of the new L lens.

I don't think any later buyer will care where the stuff original came from. At least I was never asked.

I wouldn't bet on it as that is an oft asked question on here to find out if it's grey so as to make a lower offer

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a Canon 5d Mark IV and an L lens. I can get both at a similar price from either SOcameras (they are slightly used with around 1000 shutter count, originally from Jessops apparently), or go to somewhere like Panamoz and get them new.

My assumption is that the SOcameras version is either ex-demo, or a return, and then Jessops sells them to SOcameras or something like that?... No idea if the 1 year warranty is with SOcameras or if its a manufacturers warranty. I'm guessing the former..

Panamoz seem to have a good reputation and offer a 3 year warranty, but if I can get genuine UK that might be better for piece of mind and later re-sale. On the other hand SOcameras do not seem to have the reputation of Panamoz and the like, and it's only a 1 year warranty.

I'd like to get a few opinions on this please in case there is something I haven't thought of ... It's a lot of money to spend so any advice would be appreciated.

Just make sure it's not Scameras, never heard of them and Camera Jungle are Jessops used subsidary

My assumption is that the SOcameras version is either ex-demo, or a return, and then Jessops sells them to SOcameras or something like that?
I don't think that assumption is necessarily sound. If it's this camera, the way I read it is that it's a second-hand camera and the original purchaser bought it from Jessops.

You've inadvertently stumbled into something of a hornet's nest when you ask about the merits of the different retailers though. It's a very divisive issue here on TP. That camera is about £3400 new if you buy it from a mainstream UK retailer such as WEx, Park Cameras, etc. When you buy from a used equipment retailer such as SO Cameras, it's £500 cheaper because it's used. When you buy new from an overseas retailer like Panamoz, it's £500 cheaper because they arrange things so as to illegally evade VAT and import duty. Some people think that matters. (I'm one of them.) Some don't.

Personally if I were you I would buy from the UK. Pay the taxes, support UK jobs, and for a camera like that 1089 clicks on the shutter is irrelevant. I don't have any knowledge of SO Cameras specifically though. There are numerous UK second hand dealers such as MPB, Ffordes, LCE, WEx, etc who provide a good service.

PS Welcome to TP!

Panamoz are fantastic to deal with, I've bought from them several times without issue.

I don't get the whole "buy UK" thing personally. Any saved money's probably going back into the local economy anyway so it's irrelevant. Plus I think we all pay enough tax as it is....

Back