Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I am a beginner photographer (hobbyist), and have a Facebook and Instagram page.

How can i extend my coverage? I seem to only get the same followers etc liking my stuff and want to broaden things further. I expect its my pages, can anyone take a look and give me some advice?

https://m.facebook.com/MCastlePh0t0graphy/

Instagram - mcastlephotography

Thanks!

There are some nice images on there.

Personally, I would thin it down a bit. There are a lot of similar shots of long flowing green fields. People will soon get bored of looking at similar compositions over and over.

Only ever post your best images, not too much of the same thing and not too many a day. If someone is following you for the right reasons they'll be pleasantly surprised when you post something as they'll be expecting a great image.

Only ever post your best images, not too much of the same thing and not too many a day.
I totally agree, except I'd go further and say not more than one per day. Post individual images, not sets.

With your facebook book page, join groups to do with your subjects. Local area groups the make and model of your camera.

As with insta its all about the hastags

And if you want to get people to follow you, you have to post stuff. You haven't posted anything to your Facebook page since October 8th, and even that was only 3 not-very-sharp photos of small birds with big, cluttered backgrounds.

For an absolute masterclass on how to do this properly, follow Guy Edwardes: https://www.facebook.com/guyedwardes/

Last edited:
Personally, I would thin it down a bit. There are a lot of similar shots of long flowing green fields. People will soon get bored of looking at similar compositions over and over.

Yeah, agreed. To attract (non-bot) followers you need a strong set of images, and less is more. I'd also try and make your images stand out from the crowd a bit more. Other than that it's all about the hashtags.
On Instagram I'd probably also change your profile picture, it may put some people off.

Thanks! Its just knowing which ones to remove.
That is the skill of the photographer.

If you can't tell which of your shots are 'best', it's a symptom of your place on the learning curve. Study other people's photos, and work out why you like some better than others.
Before you consider why other people aren't queuing to follow you, you should understand why they'd want to.

The blunt answer to your original question is simple; 'post better images'.

FB pages hardly seem to be worth bothering with.

On Instagram.. who do you want to follow you, and why?

Building an IG following takes effort. You have to engage with other users, following, commenting, interacting, hashtagging - as well as developing a unique style or niche. I try to post most days but only stuff which fits the style or quality I'm happiest with.

FWIW I get the biggest jump in followers when I post pics of young naked women.
I get the biggest jump in the kind of followers I'm after when one of my images gets picked up by a feature account, especially fstoppers.

Back