Socket 1155

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know where I can find a new (not used) socket 1155 motherboard? Preferably Gigabyte or ASUS - just not MSI.

Does anyone know where I can find a new (not used) socket 1155 motherboard? Preferably Gigabyte or ASUS - just not MSI.

why not MSI? used many brands before and currently have MSI and have no problems (had some issues with some ASUS boards before). LGA1155 hard to get new now, unless you shop at amazon or something like http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/category.asp?categoryid=653 (never heard of these guys, but they have some in stock)

what features you need from motherboard? can it be standard or gaming editions?

I think it's my motherboard conflicting with my graphics card somehow, which is causing the no signal issues for quite a few years now. Very annoying hit and miss when booting.

It's a good processor, i7 3770k so i don't want to change it plus I don't want to have to change my DDR3 ram for new DDR4 etc. The graphics card is a GTX 970 so no need to change that either.

I think it's my motherboard conflicting with my graphics card somehow, which is causing the no signal issues for quite a few years now. Very annoying hit and miss when booting.

It's a good processor, i7 3770k so i don't want to change it plus I don't want to have to change my DDR3 ram for new DDR4 etc. The graphics card is a GTX 970 so no need to change that either.

have you tried different PCIe slots? same issue? motherboard bios up to date? CPU is great :)

what motherboard model you have (exact model)?

Might be worth looking at the PSU as the GTX 970 will be quite demanding.
Are you over-clocking the CPU?

Might be worth looking at the PSU as the GTX 970 will be quite demanding.
Are you over-clocking the CPU?

GPU GTX970 should be taking (at peak usage) max 180-200W depending on brand and stock clocks (if not overclocked and voltages not adjusted). GTX980 takes a bit more 230-250W. Older generations GPU's were more power hungry.

Went through all the processes of elimination before (there's another old post on it), was very frustrating.

I've tried a GTX 760 which had the same problem, using onboard graphics with the GTX power disconnected etc so not a graphics card or psu issue.

Also when the computer is on and working fine if I then power off the monitor but leave everything else on and then when I power on the monitor again it loses the signal.

Also tried three different monitors. They all work fine on other units.

I'm sure it's some sort of handshake issue with the motherboard. It's an MSI Z77A-G45.

Went through all the processes of elimination before (there's another old post on it), was very frustrating.

I've tried a GTX 760 which had the same problem, using onboard graphics with the GTX power disconnected etc so not a graphics card or psu issue.

Also when the computer is on and working fine if I then power off the monitor but leave everything else on and then when I power on the monitor again it loses the signal.

Also tried three different monitors. They all work fine on other units.

I'm sure it's some sort of handshake issue with the motherboard. It's an MSI Z77A-G45.

Sadly it looks that way... Have you tried clearing CMOS, booting with just 1 stick of RAM, clearing BIOS settings, flashing firmware.

Latest firmware been done, tried all different combinations of ram etc. Nothing is overclocked. Never tried taking the battery out but came across many online who did but it never helped them.

No harm giving it a shot I guess, can any damage be done?

Latest firmware been done, tried all different combinations of ram etc. Nothing is overclocked. Never tried taking the battery out but came across many online who did but it never helped them.

No harm giving it a shot I guess, can any damage be done?

nah, wont do any harm. CMOS battery is just basically acts as small memory chip for saving BIOS settings. usually if battery goes flat-ish you can see PC misbehaving. its standard CR2032 battery. worth a try.

When you tried the different monitors, did you use the same cable or a different one with each monitor? Might be worth trying a different cable if you only used the one.

FWIW I'm using an i7 3770 on a Z77 mobo and I've used GTX 750 Ti, GTX 950 and GTX 1050 GPUs without any problems.

Last edited:
Aye tried three different DP cables and various hdmi ones also. I think it's a lost cause.

Changed the battery but no luck. Not sure I trust a used motherboard but will look around.

Changed the battery but no luck. Not sure I trust a used motherboard but will look around.

Sorry to hear that Graham.

Have a look here: http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/category.asp?categoryid=653 I think they sell brand new stock? had a look at reviews and most of them are great (apart from few negative reviews).

Probably worth to give them a call first and check if they have them in stock for sure.

Nah, not sure if you remember but I'm sure we all went through everything before. It randomly happens when you first boot before you even see bios. I've also tried a 19 pin cable but no luck.

The only trick which increases success rates is to switch the monitor on first and then between 2-3 seconds turn on the computer. Anything more or less seems to lessen the odds.

Also as said when everything is on and running fine you can never turn off the monitor and back on as it will lose signal.

I think we concluded it was some sort of handshake issue?

Thanks for the link does anyone have any recommendations? I currently use 4 SATA3 ports but i doubt the harddrives need any more than Sata2

I was thinking about the Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-D3H?

Last edited:
Can you try a dvi cable? HDMI and DP use HDCP which is the cause of most of these issues.

I can't remember if I did this before but I run a 2k resolution so i don't think dvi will be any good. I'm sure I previously tried putting an OS on a USB stick and running a monitor via dvi because the graphics card wouldn't be supported and it still happened.

No harm trying it again though but if that does work then what would be the fix to get hdmi working?

Well I'll be damned! Just tried using a DVI cable and it all seems to work fine, monitor off and on no problem, restarts fine etc. I'm sure I tried a DVI cable before but maybe not. I'm also getting my working resolution so that's a good result. I originally wanted to run 2160p when I upgraded my card but fonts were tiny so 1440p is the best compromise.

So, the big question now is what is causing HDMI and DP to fail with this motherboard (or graphics cards)? I'm fairly convinced it's an HDCP handshake problem as after doing some quick research on this it does say that powering off devices and then back on can cause problems (like me powering off the monitor) and you need to wait over 10 seconds to allow it to recycle etc.

I should also note that the two graphics cards were both Palit ones (not my first choice but that's all they had). Could this be a coincidence?

Last edited:
I'm racking my memory about when I first built this computer, I think it was a 560Ti GTX card which wasn't Palit but i didn't have any problems then. When I upgraded to the Palit 760 GTX and wanted to use DP to go full on with resolution that's when the problems started and i thought it was the graphics card hence swapping it almost immediately for the Palit 970 GTX.

Then I went through all the processes of elimination. Very annoying to not find a solution as even though all seems well now I know it will bug me.

I've had occasionally issues with DisplayPort.

We have some boxes connected to some very cheap TVs over HDMI and they have been terribly problematic in this regard.
The same boxes connected to Panasonic TVs are fine.

Have you tried a different monitor?

Damn this computer! Turned it on about 10 minutes ago then turned the monitor on and up came the "no signal" message and no amount of turning the monitor on or off would fix it. Had to restart the computer four times before it worked. It's strange how I can't even get the monitor's OSD menu to come up when it is playing up like this. Tried several different monitors, my current ACER one, a previous AOC one and also a DELL one. All exactly the same problems.

So, back to motherboards....

Unless it's Palit graphics cards, but then onboard graphics were also doing it. I may double check that though just to be sure as I'd rather have to change the graphics card than my whole motherboard. I've got a graphics card in my Dell XPS that I could swap across. Not sure which card it is, twin DVI at the rear with a SVGA so I'm guessing it's the 8800GTX as the 560Ti has an HDMI port. I must still have that somewhere, perhaps boxed.

Last edited:
I starting to feel the same way. I was wary when buying Palit as I'd never heard of them. This could be a nice excuse to upgrade the card :)

I dug out my ASUS GTX500ti, which was my original graphics card when I built the computer and it ran fine, stuck it in and I couldn't t seem to replicate the 'no signal' issue. Kept trying all sorts but it just kept working fine. But it only does 1080p so I've bought an ASUS GTX1050ti 4GB which I feel is not quite as powerful as my GTX970 but it takes less juice, is smaller and quieter. Was looking at the Radeon RX470 but looking quickly at online problems there seems to be connection issues with people so not going down that road. The 1050ti stated it's HDCP2.2 also just in case!

Anyway, with the ASUS GTX1050ti I've had no 'no signal' issues and again I can't seem to replicate it. Fired up Rainbow 6 Siege with the same settings as with the Palit and it ran fine. Had to enable v-sync but other than that it's smooth so it's powerful enough for my needs. Looks like it was the graphics card after all and seeing as it happened with both the Palit 760 and then the Palit 970 I can only assume this is some sort of Palit issue. But a massive "phew" from having to source and install a new motherboard.

Back