Soft grad question....

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Will likely not be used a lot, so I don't want (can't afford) to buy a set, so I'm wondering which one I should get to start me off.

At the moment I have a 2,3 and 4 stop but they're no use for my new full frame camera.
I've used them all but cant remember which I've used for what photo.

Should I go for a 3 stop?

Cheers

Will likely not be used a lot, so I don't want (can't afford) to buy a set, so I'm wondering which one I should get to start me off.

At the moment I have a 2,3 and 4 stop but they're no use for my new full frame camera.
I've used them all but cant remember which I've used for what photo.

Should I go for a 3 stop?

Cheers

3 stop soft is the one filter I couldn't live without. I have a lot but the 3 stop soft - for the pictures I take is the one. Get a good make that doesn't colour cast, Lee, Formatt Hitech, Kase etc.

4 stop might over graduate and 2 stop is ok but the 3 really is the one....

Last edited:
I have a lot but the 3 stop soft - for the pictures I take is the one.

Nail on t'head :)

For the Landscapes I take I NEVER use a grad filter and I suspect I never will - in fact for my long exposure shots I also don't use a full ND either, but that's a different story

So think about the photos you @Bobsyeruncle want to take and ask yourself if its really necessary to use one at all, if so, then Steve is probably correct that a 3-stop will be most useful

Dave

For the Landscapes I take I NEVER use a grad filter and I suspect I never will - in fact for my long exposure shots I also don't use a full ND either, but that's a different story

So think about the photos you @Bobsyeruncle want to take and ask yourself if its really necessary to use one at all, if so, then Steve is probably correct that a 3-stop will be most useful

Dave

For Long Expo you image stack - that's one way to fill up a card :D Does have it's advantages though....;)

I love them but you can blend exposures etc but the soft does the job for me :D

Dave
Thanks for that.
What do you use for long exposure shots?

3 stop soft is the one filter I couldn't live without. I have a lot but the 3 stop soft - for the pictures I take is the one. Get a good make that doesn't colour cast, Lee, Formatt Hitech, Kase etc.

4 stop might over graduate and 2 stop is ok but the 3 really is the one....

Cheers Steve,

I'll get a 3 stop soft grad.
The ones ive just sold are formatt hitech firecrest so decent quality.
I'll get a other firecrest to suit my larger holder.

Thanks for that.
What do you use for long exposure shots?

Look up Simulated Long Exposure for Photoshop, its dead simple to do, but much easier and more flexible than using an ND; for instance, I can shoot a very 'long exposure' on a sunny day at f1.8, and later decide on just how much blur I want as I can effectively change the length of exposure afterwards, not an option with an actual long exposure shot :)

Its great for isolating a person (for example) in a busy street - loads of uses :)

Dave

3 stop without a doubt.
And for those that bracket, have you considered what that would cost when shooting 4x5 sheet film ;-)
I always use filters, get it right in one shot

Not going to get into the use filters/don't use filters lark but before you buy consider a medium grad if you're wanting to have minimum amount.

The only thing we can all categorically agree on without knowing the below information is that you will never use a 0.3 ND grad so don't get one.

To know what filter would suit you best would require you to answer the following questions for the following reasons.

1 - What focal lengths will you be shooting at? As well as sensor size the focal length affects the filter usability as well.

2 - What do you take photographs of? Is it seascapes with a flat horizon? Hilly landscapes with protruding trees etc?

Here is a good resource based on your focal length and how filters are affected: https://photographylife.com/landscapes/hard-or-soft-graduated-nd-filters-it-depends-on-your-lens

Also here is an interesting read on why we don't actually need ND grads. I don't use them anymore. I used to have a set of Lee Filters but have always of been the same opinion as this guy so I've decided not to get more. https://mattk.com/why-graduated-neutral-density-filters-are-dead-to-me/

Last edited:
Back