Beginner Softbox/Octabox Size for Speedlights

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Sorry I have seen a number of threads on softboxes, but need seen one which confirms the below:

What is the largest softbox and octabox I can use with one SB800 or YN565 on 1/4 power.

Thank you

Kev

Hi

Sorry I have seen a number of threads on softboxes, but need seen one which confirms the below:

What is the largest softbox and octabox I can use with one SB800 or YN565 on 1/4 power.

Thank you

Kev
It's not so much about the power, but the spread of light. There's mixed opinions on this, and it obviously depends what direction the light is facing too. But 60cm is oft quoted.

It's not so much about the power, but the spread of light. There's mixed opinions on this, and it obviously depends what direction the light is facing too. But 60cm is oft quoted.
Phil,

Thanks, I want to get ones like the Lencarta type ones where the flash is on the back facing the front as opposed to the flash facing the back of the umbrella.

Phil,

Thanks, I want to get ones like the Lencarta type ones where the flash is on the back facing the front as opposed to the flash facing the back of the umbrella.
Then, only small unless you're prepared to be creative with a diffuser, I've seen people recommend fitting a stofen type and cutting holes in the sides. Or just fitting a stofen, or using the wide angle diffuser, but a speedlight just pointed at the front of a large softbox will create a hotspot that'll definitely be visible on your shots.

Okay, thanks. Need to do a bit more investigation.

Then, only small unless you're prepared to be creative with a diffuser, I've seen people recommend fitting a stofen type and cutting holes in the sides. Or just fitting a stofen, or using the wide angle diffuser, but a speedlight just pointed at the front of a large softbox will create a hotspot that'll definitely be visible on your shots.

^^^This. From my investigations, cutting holes in a cheap diffuser cap, and also sticking small pieces of cooking foil inside the front, works well though there's a lot of work and experimentation involved. But the one thing that makes the biggest difference is a double-diffuser sheet inside the softbox, ie most of them. You should be able to get decent coverage with one of those just using the wide panel, say up to 80-90cm octa. Softboxes vary - deeper octas, front to back, are a lot more tolerant than a shallow square or rectangular. If you want really even coverage with one of those, right to the corners, then nothing beats a bare-bulb studio-style flash head.

The size of the softbox is second consideration, after distance to subject;
since you set one parameter that puts the inverse square law on top of any
other point.
1 Working at quarter power, means you'll be shooting pretty close to subject
2 using a flash pointing forward in a soft box (even with baffle) will defeat the
purpose the larger the softbox as one of the three features, the spread, will
not be as wished introducing a hotspot effect as noted by PHIL
3 there is not other difference between the sizes of any given type of softbox
but the wrap which will be more noticeable the closer to the subject.

If 1 is true, 60 to 120 cm depending on the desired wrap, the bigger the more
power required.
If 2 is true, the hotspot effect will be greater the larger the softbox. Using the
flash dome in any size softbox will resolve better this hotspot issue.

If 3 is true, a larger softbox will wrap better to the price of directivity. This may
be resolved with a grid.

Last edited:
Thank you Sir for the additional info, will look into it when at home.

The size of the softbox should be equal to the size of area being lit, and used from no farther away... I.e. if doing a head/shoulder shot w/ a 2ft diagonal area, then the minimum would be a 2ft box from no farther away than 2ft. 2ft is awfully close for a lot of things/people...

If the box is much farther/smaller then it doesn't much matter because they all perform/behave the same.

I have seen a thread many years ago (I think on POTN) that showed that there is no limit to the size of the mod you can use with a speedlight. However, with regards to whether you can shoot on 1/4 and get enough power is another question.

One of the ways around the limited spread of light from a standard speedlite is to pick up one of the bare bulb speedlites, these fill a soft box much better and allow you to use a larger soft box, also diffusers are important, as was pointed out to me when exploring this,standard speedlites produce a pronounced hotspot in the centre of the box thats just accentuated by using a larger soft box.

Another thing I have seen done is using 4 speedlites and angling them so they fire of the reflective material inside the soft box but to be honest with the cost of the extra speedlites & a quadra bracket you could pick up a bare bulb speedlite or even a cheaper studio head such as one of the lencarta's if your just working in doors.

Hi, Just don't buy the ones with the zip so you can slip the speedlight inside, JMO but they are a pain the backside, I found using the Godox holder a much better option and as they come with the Bowens mount so that opens up your options to any size of softbox you want to try.
Also they allow better access for the speedlight user
Russ
flash holder.JPG

Thank you all for the valid input. I don't like the wires with strobes. I have seen the bare bulb type of flash, but looking at costs associated with them might just have to go via the strobes option.

I'd second @russellsnr I have a couple of the Godox holders now and they make a massive difference in the time taken to set up. There is an optional attachment which allows up to 4 speedlights to be used at the same time.
On a friends recommendation I also bought a Godox Propac PB960 battery which helps to speed up the recycle time, unfortunately it would require wires into the speedlight so I'm not sure if that would be useful for you.

Thank you all for the valid input. I don't like the wires with strobes. I have seen the bare bulb type of flash, but looking at costs associated with them might just have to go via the strobes option.
You only need the power wire, you should still use wireless triggers.

For me the advantages of a proper studio light in a studio environment are a real game changer.

And I probably use my speedlights off camera more often than I use my studio heads, because that's more the kind of stuff I shoot. But once I have the opportunity the 'proper' lights come out (but I also have battery powered bare bulb heads too - I'm spoiled)

Hi, Just don't buy the ones with the zip so you can slip the speedlight inside, JMO but they are a pain the backside, I found using the Godox holder a much better option and as they come with the Bowens mount so that opens up your options to any size of softbox you want to try.
Russ
View attachment 53064

These speedlite mounts are great value buys, and go well with the 80cm double-diffuser softbox often sold with them. I have a couple, and also the four-gun adapter that bumps the power up to a potent 400Ws equivalent light.

A couple of points. As Russ says, they're available in Bowens S-type mount though the one illustrated is the new Elinchrom-fit version. In the ads for some of these, the wording is confusing and sometimes implies they're dual fit - they're not. Check the photos and you'll see the distinctive Bowens 3-lug slots. Then there's the 80x80cm softbox, with a lighting area that is actually a bit under 70x70cm.

Last edited:
I have seen a thread many years ago (I think on POTN) that showed that there is no limit to the size of the mod you can use with a speedlight.
You can easily wind up with .5-1 stop of falloff across a larger box with a speedlight...possibly more.
A bit of a hotspot isn't necessarily a bad thing as it can be used to advantage. And if the modifier is used from longer distances it won't really matter much...

Russ
View attachment 53064

Russ,

Which softball do you use with the bracket?

Russ,

Which softball do you use with the bracket?

I'd go with this one.

Although you can find them with a grid if you're lucky.

Also sold under the Neewer brand.

A speedlight fills it fine, but asRichard says, it's not what you'd call 80cm in reality.

Hi, I use one made by SELENS but had it a while, but it is exactly the same as this one on Ebay.co.uk
item number:
If you look through Ebay there are Octaboxes you can setup the same way.
Russ

Phil, Russ,

Thank you, I want something like this one:

1. http://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting/softboxes/profold-softbox/95cm-octa-folding-pro-softbox

I already have a cheap umbrella type like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80cm-32-O...840771?hash=item4af4373d43:g:io4AAOSwIwhWTY6O

But the diffuser has started to rip where the velcro is, also have one of the folding type ones which does not get much use. The main issue with No 1 link is that I am not sure if it is too big for one speed light...

Thank you

Phil, Russ,

Thank you, I want something like this one:

1. http://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting/softboxes/profold-softbox/95cm-octa-folding-pro-softbox

I already have a cheap umbrella type like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80cm-32-O...840771?hash=item4af4373d43:g:io4AAOSwIwhWTY6O

But the diffuser has started to rip where the velcro is, also have one of the folding type ones which does not get much use. The main issue with No 1 link is that I am not sure if it is too big for one speed light...

Thank you
I've got one of these to use with my studio flash. Happy with the quality, and it wasn't expensive. Works great, but I haven't tried it with a speedlight.
I do have a bracket, so could try my speedlight. It's a nissin di622 that I have, so not sure how it compares output wise with your Flash.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271825365833&alt=web

I've got one of these to use with my studio flash. Happy with the quality, and it wasn't expensive. Works great, but I haven't tried it with a speedlight.
I do have a bracket, so could try my speedlight. It's a nissin di622 that I have, so not sure how it compares output wise with your Flash.

Robert,

I would be very grateful if you try that soft box with a speed light when you get a chance.

Thank you

Kev

Would love one of these problem is they charge £17.95 postage on everything posted to Europe even an item at £3.99 = P&P £17.95 Grazy!!!

Hi Kev, hope this helps. Let me know if you need any others.

My flash set to +1.5 on the rear. Recycle time less than 2 secs.
1 1/125 @ f6

image.jpg

My flash set to -0.5 on the rear. Recycle time less than 1 sec
1 1/125 @ f3.2

image.jpg

Quick phone shot of setup

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Kev, hope this helps. Let me know if you need any others.

My flash set to +1.5 on the rear. Recycle time less than 2 secs.
1 1/125 @ f6

View attachment 53114

My flash set to -0.5 on the rear. Recycle time less than 1 sec
1 1/125 @ f3.2

View attachment 53115

Quick phone shot of setup

View attachment 53116
Thank you Sir for taking those. Will have a good look when at the PC. Do they open like normal umbrella ones and is the middle rod solid or hollow?

Thanks

Thank you Sir for taking those. Will have a good look when at the PC. Do they open like normal umbrella ones and is the middle rod solid or hollow?

Thanks

Kev, it's opens like a brolly, and the middle rod looks solid.....has 2 diffusers and a grid.

image.jpg image.jpg

Thank you, are the last two pictures with the speed light of studio lights.

Excellent, thank you for your time and help.

I'll try......

+1.5 on rear of flash

-0.5 on rear of flash
The center still reads at 255 which is the highest the camera can record. In order to see the true spread you should underexpose it farther so that the very center barely reaches 255 or is under.

And the setup is far enough away to pretty much negate the effect of the hotspot on the snowman.

Last edited:
The center still reads at 255 which is the highest the camera can record. In order to see the true spread you should underexpose it farther so that the very center barely reaches 255 or is under.

And the setup is far enough away to pretty much negate the effect of the hotspot on the snowman.
Not sure what you mean by 255?

Not sure what you mean by 255?
If you put the eye dropper on in ps, you'll see the colour as numbers, and 255, 255, 255 is the RGB value for pure white.

If the centre of the softbox is pure white, it's blown, so we can't tell if it's just a bit brighter than the outside or 3 stops brighter (once it's white, it can't become 'more' white).

Dialling down the power till the centre is no longer blown will give an accurate contrast between the hotspot and the edge.

HTH

Last edited:
Back