Beginner Softening On-Camera Flash for Macro

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just bought a Sigma 105mm OS HSM after using a Raynox macro adapter for a while. I couldn't use the on camera flash with the Raynox because of the working distance/lens shadow. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it works with the Sigma. I've got it looking OK(ish) for some things by adjusting the flash compensation but it's still too harsh for some stuff, especially flowers and foliage. I've not used it for insects but I suspect it will be the same. How can I soften It? Or do I need to get an external flash for more options?

oops double post

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Les, great shots - but when you say off camera, are you using a bracket to attach it or do you actually mean 'off camera' as in free standing somewhere? Sorry if that's a silly question. I don't have much experience using flash in general and especially for macro.

Another reason to have a talk macro section

Have a look here

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

There are many wasy to achieve thisI use a lastolite cable and flash bracket and homemade diffuser

Macro-rig by Alf Branch, on Flickr

EM1 sigma 105 Mk11 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

These were with on camera flash and pringles tube

Time for tea by Alf Branch, on Flickr

These are on water and are about 3mm long max

Anurida maritima 5 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
External would be preferable along with a diffuser... however cut up a plastic milk bottle so that it forms a U shape and tape that on to diffuse the built in flash, effective, lightweight and cheap :)

Cheers Phil I might give it a go.

Christmas is coming though up so I might drop down hints to the o/h about a new flash ;)

Another reason to have a talk macro section

Have a look here

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

There are many wasy to achieve thisI use a lastolite cable and flash bracket and homemade diffuser

Macro-rig by Alf Branch, on Flickr

EM1 sigma 105 Mk11 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

These were with on camera flash and pringles tube

Time for tea by Alf Branch, on Flickr

These are on water and are about 3mm long max

Anurida maritima 5 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

That is one hell of a setup, do you also use it handheld?

That is one hell of a setup, do you also use it handheld?

I don't shoot macro on a tripod.
When using that set up I change technique as it is pointless having all that lot together and trying to shoot at 1:1. The lens send up set to 1:1 focus which with all that gives about 3X magnification I then just move the camera to achieve focus.

This would be shot with that set upand was probaly cropped

Collembola-3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This is the area that the Sigma 105 f2.8 plus three tubes and a Raynox on my Olympus E-M1 gets

105-mag-test-tubes&R by Alf Branch, on Flickr

bounce it from a reflector ?

Not likely to get to the subject as the lens will creat a shadow still as the Sigma 105 plus a Raynox 250 would creat nearly 2X magnification and the subject will be very close.

Ah, thanks. I have been looking at flashes etc - I'll put it on my shopping list.

I’ve done the Pringle Tube diffuser and it’s quite a nice little task to do and have a play around with, it’s in the link posted above

Thanks Les, great shots - but when you say off camera, are you using a bracket to attach it or do you actually mean 'off camera' as in free standing somewhere? Sorry if that's a silly question. I don't have much experience using flash in general and especially for macro.

On a bracket or even hand held above or to the side of the subject, the wireless receiver on the Nissin Di 700 allows it to be used up to 100 feet from the trigger, mounted on the camera

endless possibilities :)

Les

Back