Software and Kit needed for Live Stream?

Name
Daryl
Edit My Images
No
Software and kit needed for Live Stream?
Im a pro tog for 30 years but know diddly about Video.
I run a Foo Fighters Tribute band and want to live stream gigs on FB and YouTube.
Im looking for mid range basic video software and live stream and sound added from mix desk.
Any one got the know how on this please?

HD and good sound quality a must
I have been looking at OBS and Pinnacle Studio 23
Sound software needs to go to something called DAW????

Last edited:
DAW = digital audio workstation. You use this for working on the sound, whether it's to improve the quality of dialogue/monologue or to add sound effects and/or music.

OBS is good because you can set up multiple input sources, overlay them on the background, and turn them on/off whenever you want. You can also set up scenes before broadcasting, where a scene is a particular layout of video sources overlaid onto the background, so that you can switch scenes during the broadcast. You can even switch to a scene offline, check that it looks OK, then bring it in live onto the output screen. (I'm probably not using precisely correct OBS terminology here, but I'm not where I can check it right now.) This might all come across as complicated, but once you see it in action, it becomes simple.

You should be able to pipe the DAW's output into your PC/Mac and use it as an input source to OBS, or you can pipe the DAW into your mix desk and use this as an audio input to OBS. Precisely how you plug it all together depends to some extent on what hardware and software you've got. Checking out the OBS documentation should make it clearer, and watching a couple of YouTube howto videos should make it clearer still.

I don't know Pinnacle Studio, but I do know Vegas Movie Studio and Vegas Pro to some extent, and would recommend either of them. You might not need anything so feature-packed as Vegas, though, so it might be worth checking out iMovie if you're on a Mac, or any of these free editors. If I were in your position, I'd check out Openshot for simplicity or Da Vinci Resolve for more pro-level features.

As for a DAW, you could start out by looking at Reaper, one of the cheapest DAWs available. It's a little short of virtual instruments so you might have to pay more if you want to compose your own music (although there are some good free virtual instruments) but it has a fairly good set of audio processing plugins and you can add in more (including free ones) if you want. If you want a fully-fledged DAW you'll obviously have to pay more but the sound quality won't necessarily be a lot better just because you throw money at it. You can find Reaper here.

I've recently got into live streaming and use the ATEM Mini switch for controlling multiple cameras, green screen and graphic overlays plus OBS if something more complicated is needed. The ATEM Mini Pro above was launched just recently and allows you to livestream directly from the switch with no computer needed to control, if you don't need that then the original Mini may be enough.

Back