Beginner Software to organise photos

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys. I am wondering if there is any software out there can can scan folders of pictures and group them by image type/recognition. What I mean is this, currently I have lots of photos of my dog, my son, flowers, toy cars etc. is there a way to have any software to find all dog pictures contained in a folder that has a mixed bag of subjects?

What do you mean by "lots"? How many approx?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys. I am wondering if there is any software out there can can scan folders of pictures and group them by image type/recognition. What I mean is this, currently I have lots of photos of my dog, my son, flowers, toy cars etc. is there a way to have any software to find all dog pictures contained in a folder that has a mixed bag of subjects?
Dead easy in Lightroom, provided you've titled and keyworded all your images.

Ah thats the thing, my images are not tagged etc. I was looking on the lines of google image algorithm example, on my google drive it has a fair few old pictures on it and google juts organises them by visual means, such as any that has my dog in them will be sorted by the 'animals' tag and any pics of faces/people will be recognised and sorted into 'people' tags. So when I select animals all the pictures will show my dog or cats only, sometimes its messes up and puts a pic of flowers in there but it still is a good little thing to have.

edit: I am sure it's google drive if not it's google something that does this visual content recognition.

A few come to mind, Picassa, it will find every photo on your computer or could try Nikon's View NX2, Its great for viewing and organising your images.

What do you mean by "lots"? How many approx?
You haven't advised us what software you use and the number of image files involved. You might get a more helpful response if you were to do so, as there's no point in discussing e.g. Lightroom if you don't have it!

Google photos does this. Not something i have used much of, but have just done a test with the few photos is have there - searched for 'sky' and it returned 3 good results.

Lightroom is great, but you will need to manually tag your photos.

Lightroom

Lightroom won't scan a folder of photos and use image recognition to group photos. Lightroom will require you will to manually assign tags to the photos then search on the text you have written to the metadata.

Lightroom won't scan a folder of photos and use image recognition to group photos. Lightroom will require you will to manually assign tags to the photos then search on the text you have written to the metadata.

You could use the facial recognition to organise and find people. I've recently done this searching my 140K catalogue for image of a friend that died.

I use lightroom, it's brilliant as a workflow tool, the library function is great for organising and finding images. I would however read/watch the beginners tutorials to get the idea before you start so you start off on a good foot
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom/tutorials.html

It helps if you have a folder structure already for finished images (or ones you've previously taken). So I have top level folders for different subjects, Family, Work, Cars, then subfolders underneath for years, then the occaision, i.e. Cars\2017\London car show, Family\2017\holiday etc

As an example, to get your images into Lightroom, you import them. If you already have a folder structure of existing images you can import them where they are, if you're importing new files, I import my raw files to yearly folders (as lightroom likes to store new files in folders of the date the image was created). Lightroom creates a catalogue file, a database of images, doesn't store the images inside it, so doesn't duplicate storage.

Then when you import, you can tag it with key words, so using my theme above, key words would be family, holiday, place name, maybe names of people.

Then once the images are in, you create collections within Lightroom. Again I use the same convention as before so I have collections named Family, Work, Cars etc, under these you have sub collections to further subdivide, such as the event. You just move the images imported into the relevant collection.

When all that is done, (it's quite quick don't panic) then you have a number of ways to search. By the keywords you tagged the images with when importing, by the collection, you can look at the folders the images are in (which in my case are by year, then date) or you can search by attribute, metadata (i.e. show me all the images taken with a certain lens, body combination etc ).

Mostly though it's quick to sort by collection.

On top of all that - it has a map module. If your camera has gps, or you tag your photos with the location, you can search on images in the world...

Very good program - and thats before using the editing/processing develop module or the other modules.

But it is worth watching the tutorials just to get the idea behind it as most people confuse it with a editing package when it's much more than that.

Digikam has powerful image recognition, and it doesn't need any keywords. As well as face recognition, you can match similar pictures, and it even lets you draw a sketch, to detect similar images.

Digikam is a very comprehensive photo manager and it's open source and free! https://www.digikam.org
Thumbnail, groups and album creation, integrated maps and geotagging. Integrated camera downloading and web uploading. Keyword tagging and sorting. Timeline presentation. Flexible configuration allows you to integrate it with other applications.
using-mainwindow-searchsketch.png

Last edited:
+1 for Digikam

I haven't tried it recently, so it may have improved, but when I tried DigiKam a few years ago, it was by far the slowest image cataloging program I've ever used.

I haven't tried it recently, so it may have improved, but when I tried DigiKam a few years ago, it was by far the slowest image cataloging program I've ever used.
I have no performance problems at all. I have an i5 PC using just intel on board graphics.

Back