Solar Eclipse Photography tomorrow am

East side of South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire looking very good, searingly bright sun and blue skies.

I think the main danger is the diamond effect just before the point of obscurity. It's far more intense at that point.
There won't be a diamond effect that you get with a total eclipse unless you are in the Faroe Islands. The crescent sun will remain visible throughout. As such the diamond effect will not be visible.

Same here in Essex, can't see a thing.
Makes me slightly happier over the fact I wasn't able to get any solar filter film in time.

I didn't know the sensor was exposed and could get damaged in live view. I'm gonna set up beforehand, take a few quick practice shots and take pot luck with a v fast shutter speed and focus, and have a few goes.

At least we get some chance of seeing it, there is NOTHING in the USA!

Leeds is currently hazy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I got no detail, sun is very bright now, no clouds all gone away, but at least I can get the silouette. 08.33am Telford, 2000th of a sec, F2.8. I might lower shutterspeed and close the aperture a bit, maybe get some more detail

08.33am - Just coming into view now by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

08.37am - tried at F14, shutterspeed 1250. Going to go back down to F2.8, images looked sharper and pump up shutterspeed to compensate, see how it goes.
08.37am by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

This is much clearer: 08.46am, F7.1, shutterspeed 1,3200 @ 200mm
Am looking forward to seeing shots from TP users with 500mm and solar filters, should be amazing.
08:46am by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

08.56am
08.56 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

Last edited:
I got no detail, sun is very bright now, no clouds all gone away, but at least I can get the silouette. 08.33am Telford, 2000th of a sec, F2.8. I might lower shutterspeed and close the aperture a bit, maybe get some more detail

08.33am - Just coming into view now by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

Beautiful!!! :clap:

Nothing here, the sun is far to bright and undefined as it's very hazy.

Rubbish and overcast here in North West Kent.
Gutted.

We keep having broken cloud in Flamborough . I came totally unprepared , so have tried to botch together a pinhole not very successfully though .

Total cloud cover, miserable day, here in Dungiven. Equipment all ready, weather not playing it's part :mad:

Wall to wall grey cloud in christchurch as well. :banghead: Didnt seem to get any darker but felt colder.

No joy in NW Scotland due to thick cloud cover. It did get darker however. Only a few more years to wait for the next one :)

Dave

It got quite dark here in northants.. As I said in the film section sun out but looked like it was going to chuck it down

It was hazy in Leeds, and I didn't think I'd get anything, then the cloud thinned and I got some good shots! Around the peak, it got hazy again. I should say I think I got some great shots, but I've never shot an eclipse before!!!
It didn't really get dark, though.

Cloudy here and wasn't going to bother but at 8.30 this morning decided to make a quick filter for the Missus's scope. My camera didn't want to fire and I didn't have time to read up on why so I grabbed hers which I don't know very well. Anyway, this was the best I got.

IMG_4972.jpg

Excellent,David.

My shots are also silouhette like Carl's second posting so no point in posting as they are identical. Very nice first shots,Carl. I like Gary's too .. also has atmosphere,no pun intended, same with Simon's. These are more striking than the silouhettes.

I used a 10-stop with my wife holding a 3-stop in front of that. ISO 100 1/5000 sec reduced to 1/2600 and f32. Better than nothing though reduced to f22.

Next one USA August 21 2017.

used nature's filter (cloud)... hope it hasn't damage the sensor in the camera or me! Could only just make out the sun through the cover so took a chance -

16683919718_cf5274e5c2_c.jpg
That's what I did to get a couple . Will have to wait until I'm home to be able to upload them though .

Cloudy here and wasn't going to bother but at 8.30 this morning decided to make a quick filter for the Missus's scope. My camera didn't want to fire and I didn't have time to read up on why so I grabbed hers which I don't know very well. Anyway, this was the best I got.

IMG_4972.jpg
It this upside down? what did you use as a filter and what size was the scope?

It this upside down? what did you use as a filter and what size was the scope?

It is upside down, haven't played around much with it yet (better do some work this morning)

I used my Missus's scope, a Celestron Astromaster 90. I think it's 1000mm and she has a 2x eyepiece thing to attach to her camera. Never used it before but bodged together a solar film filter this morning and gave it a go. Was a bit last minute and had to use her camera (100d) as mine wasn't playing ball.

I got a few lovely close ups and have to say the 8 stop ND worked spot on with no issues , also tried to get a few landscapes , this is the nearest i have got with some people using telescopes on the hill in the same shot for some sort of perspective.

eclipse3c.jpg
Could you have walked forward and got the people in sort of above you as you looked up at the eclipse.

Back