Sold my stuff - big mistake. What to replace it with?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I lost interest for a while and flogged all my gear - then almost immediately regretted it and now looking to replace. The main caveat is that it should be a step forward to my previous Nikon D5300. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts and recommendations. What would you do?

I have no interest in video - any video I do need is done quickly and easily in my iPhone but I struggle to understand if the modern mirrorless cameras are designed primarily for video or stills, accepting Liveview kind of blurs the issue.

My main photography interest is would be general walk around, architectural inside and outside, grandchildren and the odd function. Possibly now also some images for car sales.

Looking around I can get a second user, Nikon D7100 with 16-85, or, for a good price or new, the LUMIX S5 with 20-60 / 50mm / 85mm. Other than that, I’m stuck.

I’m finding it difficult to get keen over the modern Nikon crop cameras as mirrorless seems to be taking over. I have an unfounded urge to go full frame.

What would you do?

I have no interest in video - any video I do need is done quickly and easily in my iPhone but I struggle to understand if the modern mirrorless cameras are designed primarily for video or stills, accepting Liveview kind of blurs the issue.
Almost all cameras are geared towards both. There's a switch on my Fuji X-T4 to swap between Stills and Video mode. I also have no interest in video, so I never touch that switch. You won't find a camera without a video mode.

M4/3 was my choice when I switched from Nikon. (Now doing street I use a Ricoh & Leica).

Just out of interest why would mirrorless make you not keen?

Just out of interest why would mirrorless make you not keen?
My bad. It seems mirrorless is the future. I am not too keen to buy the mirrored crop equivalents.

My problem seems to be is that the Linux S5 is currently a great deal - but probably far more than I would ever need and is (for me) expensive enough to be a very considered purchase. The secondhand Nikons are a known (and nothing new) but cheap. I guess I just need therapy!

I switched systems last year, from Canon DSLR to Fuji X mirrorless. I could have just bought a new lens for my Canon 80D, but I decided I didn't want to buy into a 'dead' system, which I'd eventually end up having to replace anyway. It was expensive, but absolutely worth it. I all depends on your budget, but I personally wouldn't be dropping a load of cash into a secondhand DSLR at the moment if I could afford to go for a new mirrorless

Go to a camera shop with a good stock of 2nd hand kit and try them out.

You may completely re-think what you need (or want) after handling them.

I've just come from FF Sony back to Olympus M43 to save weight on my back.

Any camera will be able to take a good photograph nowadays, there isn't a bad one out there.

It's all down to the photographer.

I nearly did what the OP did and had my D750 up in the sales.

After looking at the new Nikons and watching a ton of reviews I decided mirrorless was not for me. Would not use the video function at all, never have used it on my D750 yet.
Eye detection... hmm .... don't think I would use that at all, always got by without it since I had my first dslr (canon 300D)

So looking at the prices, I would have paid a lot of money for a Nikon mirrorless which MIGHT have been slightly better than what I have.

D750 is well renowned for its image quality so I'm going to keep it. Does everything I want and does it well.

Ignore the hype about FF - unless you need/want to print massive or crop heavily. M4/3 is a great choice and very versatile. Panasonic m4/3 leans towards video a bit more than Olympus, but ignore the button and they are both fantastic systems with a lens hierarchy which spans both body makes.

I tried M4/3 many years ago with the Panasonic GX1 and also seemed to have issues with distortion and I put that out of the mix this time around. Thoughts about make / models to look at?

Eye detection... hmm .... don't think I would use that at all, always got by without it since I had my first dslr (canon 300D)
Is this aimed at the YouTube video blogger generation? The walking talking person who needs to remain in eye contact? Not sure I have any use for it either.

Nikon D750 or D780 with Nikkor 24-120 lens will answer your question.

For me until Nikon introduce the definitive D850 replacement ie Z8 and I can get over the EVF flickr (the one thing preventing me jumping) I'll stick with the old tech. Now that there are deals on that Z 400/4.5 it just needs a body to go with it.

I tried M4/3 many years ago with the Panasonic GX1 and also seemed to have issues with distortion and I put that out of the mix this time around. Thoughts about make / models to look at?
Things have changed a lot since then.

Don't be put off by years old technology.

Any choice you can make will be a compromise.
Unless you have a special need for it full fram and medium format are overkill for a vast majority of people. M4/3 and Aps will produce excellent wall sized prints if needed.
With the larger formats comes weight, larger sizes and greater cost, for very little usable gain.
I moved to Fuji and I have not noticed any quality compromise at all. Much to the joy of my very aged and compromised back

I might know someone very near you who is a M4/3 user who could give an opinion and maybe a test drive,
Mix of Olympus and Panasonic lenses with two Panasonic cameras that are the latest 20mp models

Last edited:
Things have changed a lot since then.

Don't be put off by years old technology.

Distortion is not a function of format size, it is sometimes a function of a poor quality lens, but more usually a function of viewpoint.

Is this aimed at the YouTube video blogger generation? The walking talking person who needs to remain in eye contact? Not sure I have any use for it either.
No, it's useful for any photograph of a person. You want the focus point to be on the eye. It's a great feature.

No, it's useful for any photograph of a person. You want the focus point to be on the eye. It's a great feature.
And not just for portraits - it's a real game chnager for wildlife photographers. However if you are a landscape photographer working from a tripod there's not an immense amount you would gain imo - having the histogram in the viewfinder before you take the image is good though

Hopefully more modern cameras still have the ability to move or hold focus points still!
I think you need to try out these new features before you poo poo them.

You may well be surprised at how many you'll find useful.

They may even open up new avenues of photography for you.

Best of luck in your search whatever you finally decide on.

Terry.

I think you need to try out these new features before you poo poo them.

You may well be surprised at how many you'll find useful.

They may even open up new avenues of photography for you
My comment was intended to be tongue in cheek. I really am grateful for the time folk take to reply.

Eye and face detection and the various other continuous focus functions that lockon to a subject, are a real bonus for those that shoot people or moving subjects,
Sony are the king's in this area. But the rest of the field are no slouch and catching up fast.
Sony of course make the sensors for all other than canon cameras. However Fuji design their own and add their own filter array to them.

Modern live view viewfinders are flicker free and virtually lagless They also have the advantage of being able to to show a bright detailed view in poor light.
They also provided an instantly greatly magnified view for precise focussing, and detail checking. They can also be set to show the actual exposure value when in manual mode.
All real plusses over DSLR.

The availability of spares for dSLR cameras. Is becoming a real problems as their production lines close down. The are no longer viable as a long term solution.

Hopefully more modern cameras still have the ability to move or hold focus points still!

Absolutely, and they are easily movable to any position in the viewfinder or screen with the joystick..
You can also set them to follow the subject if the subject or the camera moves.

On many cameras you also have individual buttons to lock focus and exposure.. especially useful when doing handheld pans.

Last edited:
To me, if you want to keep the cost down and have great image quality then buy a D750 plus a couple of used lenses.

Want to save weight and money or get more reach out of zooms, M43 is the thing, though with some loss of control and image quality.

Want to build an outfit for the future, Sony have the widest range of lenses for FF mirrorless.

Want FF mirrorless but not fussed about lots of lenses, the Panny S5 looks good, especially with the 20-60.

To me, APS-C doesn't have a place in the photo landscape any more because it's not small/light enough to compete with M43 but lacks image quality and control of FF. Some cameras are still good, like the D500 for wildlife or sports, but otherwise there are better options.

Last edited:
I thank you all for your guidance. I guess it may have been useful to add that the Panasonic S5 with 20-60 / 85mm / 50mm at £1600 was the most expensive I’d consider but interested to see what other M4/3 with lens options fall under this, also D750/780. Neither were on my radar previously.

Question. Nikon crop lenses I think are DX, how are full frame described? AF-S?

Last edited:
I thank you all for your guidance. I guess it may have been useful to add that the Panasonic S5 with 20-60 / 85mm / 50mm at £1600 was the most expensive I’d consider but interested to see what other M4/3 with lens options fall under this, also D750/780. Neither were on my radar previously.

Question. Nikon crop lenses I think are DX, how are full frame described?
Have you completely discounted Fuji, or the APS-C Nikon and Canon options? You seem to be trying to decide between two very different systems with very different sensor sizes

I can see that M4/3 to full frame is very different. To be honest I had discounted M4/3 until today but remain with an open mind. I know very little about either Fuji or Canon - again not ruled out just options that take a little more investigation. If nothing else, I now know my budget (£1600) for a get me in kit and now looking at options.

I went to WEX late last week and had a look at what they had, ending up thinking the LUMIX S5 was possibly the best option - they didn’t have much Nikon secondhand stuff and I had ruled out much of their other choices through stupidity and lack of knowledge.

Campkins in Cambridge left me cold and seemed disinterested in me.

I can see that M4/3 to full frame is very different. To be honest I had discounted M4/3 until today but remain with an open mind. I know very little about either Fuji or Canon - again not ruled out just options that take a little more investigation. If nothing else, I now know my budget (£1600) for a get me in kit and now looking at options.

I went to WEX late last week and had a look at what they had, ending up thinking the LUMIX S5 was possibly the best option - they didn’t have much Nikon secondhand stuff and I had ruled out much of their other choices through stupidity and lack of knowledge.

Campkins in Cambridge left me cold and seemed disinterested in me.
I only went in Campkins once, felt the same as you, more interested in the tourists on Kings Parade I reckon

Question. Nikon crop lenses I think are DX, how are full frame described? AF-S?
correct all crop lenses are classified as DX, no DX on them then they are full frame

AF-S can also be a DX lens
See LINKY for a list and price of current lenses by Nikon

I lost interest for a while and flogged all my gear - then almost immediately regretted it and now looking to replace. The main caveat is that it should be a step forward to my previous Nikon D5300. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts and recommendations. What would you do?
If I could do a do over? I'd have done exactly what you did prior to 2018. I had a couple of photo studios who were offering me to liquidate all the idle gear I have. I would then rebuy when I get the itch to shoot again.
No company makes new cameras without video. It costs them near to nothing to have it. It would even reduce sales if they said there is no video.
My main photography interest is would be general walk around, architectural inside and outside, grandchildren and the odd function. Possibly now also some images for car sales.

Looking around I can get a second user, Nikon D7100 with 16-85, or, for a good price or new, the LUMIX S5 with 20-60 / 50mm / 85mm. Other than that, I’m stuck.

I’m finding it difficult to get keen over the modern Nikon crop cameras as mirrorless seems to be taking over. I have an unfounded urge to go full frame.

What would you do?
With mention of grand kids, mirrorless and full frame I'd go with what mirrorless fullframe that makes the most sense to you.

I'd stick to Nikon if you do not want to relearn button placements and LCD menu arrangements.

I tried switching from Canon EF to to Sony E bodies and I had to liquidate the Sony as the body was too small for my man hands and the menu system did not make sense to me.

Image sensor tech was generations ahead of Canon's but if I have to learn a new language to get from A to B... I rather stick to convenience.

Last edited:
I bought the X T30 versio of this plus a 50-230 lens from Fuji refurbished both looked unused and come with a full new guarantee.
Well inside your budget. They are often out of stock.but worth keeping an eye open.
The xt30 AND XT30 ll has the same sensor and processor as the brilliant XT3.

I bought the X T30 versio of this plus a 50-230 lens from Fuji refurbished both looked unused and come with a full new guarantee.
Well inside your budget. They are often out of stock.but worth keeping an eye open.
The xt30 AND XT30 ll has the same sensor and processor as the brilliant XT3.

The X-T4 also shares the same sensor and processor. Switching to Fuji has transformed my photography, I want to take my camera everywhere with me now. They are a joy to use

I had M43 for a few years, having gone Canon crop to Canon FF to Fuji mirrorless then M43. Now I’m back in FF, but with Sony mirrorless and this is probably the first time I’ve been completely satisfied - I had the realisation that if I had to buy all my equipment again, I’d actually buy exactly what I already have.

Sometimes, I’ve found, you have to scratch those unfound itches. Have you tried the S5 in person?

Back