Some advice for a noob please

Because if he sticks to an auto mode and lets the camera do everything for him he may never learn anything about exposure, which lets face it is paramount in photography. If he uses manual he will see the effect of changes he makes to either shutter or aperture values immediately, (the great advantage of modern SLRs with review screens.)
In fact because of the instant viewing technology there has never been a better time to shoot manual and I would urge all beginners to give it a go. They will learn quicker and become better photographers for it.

Same applies to Phil's comment re. PP and he should as said, try to get it right in camera.
Look ,we all use PP to tweak images and most experienced Togs use AV mode but to encourage newbies to rely on Auto Modes and fixing there cock ups in Photoshop etc is, I think, counter-productive and will have an adverse effect on learning the craft.

There are two schools of thought on that. The method you're suggesting is mostly 'learn by your mistakes'. The alternative, which I subscribe to, is to let the camera get it right, be encouraged by your success, then review the settings and commit to understanding why.

I recall a newcomer on here who'd been using manual and spot metering, because they'd been told it was 'better, that's what pros use' etc, and their results were all over the place, with no clue how to fix them, and they were on the point of giving up.

Exposure control is not difficult. Just need to get a grip on the Exposure Triangle with a simple tutorial like this one by Pookeyhead http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=440126 Once that's understood, everything drops into place.

Because if he sticks to an auto mode and lets the camera do everything for him he may never learn anything about exposure, which lets face it is paramount in photography. If he uses manual he will see the effect of changes he makes to either shutter or aperture values immediately, (the great advantage of modern SLRs with review screens.)
In fact because of the instant viewing technology there has never been a better time to shoot manual and I would urge all beginners to give it a go. They will learn quicker and become better photographers for it.

Same applies to Phil's comment re. PP and he should as said, try to get it right in camera.
Look ,we all use PP to tweak images and most experienced Togs use AV mode but to encourage newbies to rely on Auto Modes and fixing there cock ups in Photoshop etc is, I think, counter-productive and will have an adverse effect on learning the craft.

so your saying Aperture or shutter priority are auto modes or manual? because in aperture you still have control. not many pros use full manual.

so your saying Aperture or shutter priority are auto modes or manual? because in aperture you still have control. not many pros use full manual.

That will come as news to a lot of professionals.

Given that all exposure modes are just different ways of achieving the same result, the one to use depends a lot on what you're shooting. Think of manual as a 'set & lock' mode, because that's what it actually is, and the auto modes often involve a lot of manual control when exposure compensation is applied.

As a rough guide, use manual when the subject is changing but the light is not, eg motor race with black, white and multi-coloured cars coming past. Or use an auto mode when the light is changing but the subject is not, eg windy day with sun and clouds.

But there's loads of overlap between all these options and many photographers, professional or otherwise, just develop a preferred method that works for them. No right or wrong answers.

If the guys struggling with the basics why on earth would he shoot manual?

And if your going to use pp then your workflow will always be slower but that is something you learn and therefore speed up. ACR is such a great tool a few clicks and on to the next photo.

I never said he should shoot Manual :thinking:, I've never been a proponent of that approach, buit I certainly wouldn't suggest that any camera mode was the preserve of Pro's only (like I said, it doesn't matter at all).

Whether he shoots M or not has nothing to do with his problem in the first shots though does it? His problem is the crap flat light and poor composition :shrug:. I never mentioned camera modes because it brings out the tubthumpers who believe there's only one way of doing things :nuts:. I'm a bit long in the tooth for all that nonsense ;)

Not of the shutter speed in AV you dont or aperture size in TV. So yes its an auto mode, or semi auto if you will.

Not many Pros use full manual ? I have no idea how you could know that and i wouldn't even try to second guess on that one.

I think the OP can use any mode he likes and everyone should try and use all the wonderful modes and tricks available in todays cameras. I was responding to your comment that a beginner using manual served little value to which i disagree.

The nearest you'll find to a hard and fast rule is 'use manual if flash is your primary light source' because mo camera gas s clue how you want to balance flash and ambient.

And that'd be true whether you're an amateur, a pro, or a complete noob.

Other than that, it's completely down to the photographer.

My advice from a fellow D3000 user, is for getting to understand your camera is to take a series of shots to compare side by side.

example, when shooting your next car
take them in this order.
1. Auto
Switch to Manual mode and using ISO 100 and a shutter speed of 1/100
2. Manual - with the lowest f rating you can get (3.8/4.5)
3. Manual - with an f rating 10.
4. Manual with the f rating at max (20/22)

This will give you an idea of the varying shots the f stop gives you, then when you decide what type of shot you want to make, it will give you a guide of what f stop to set it to. Then it is just refining the setting to get the look you want.

Whoever says that you can't get good shots from a D3000 is talking out of their behinds.
Just take your time and experiment with the camera, and you will pick up how it works, and the best settings for what type of shots you want to create.

Examples from a "So called rubbish D3000"(BTW I'm an amateur as well)

Action shot

_DSC7398a by Chris Harden Photography, on Flickr

Car shot

_DSC2900 by Chris Harden Photography, on Flickr

Car action

Casey Mears NASCAR Toyota Camry by Chris Harden Photography, on Flickr

Chris

As stated earlier you need to 1st start with the concept of the shot, for some ideas flick through a few car magazines or search the web..then aim to meet something near to what you see in the picture, like a car at night under a street light...then try different angles from high to low coming parallel on 45 degrees etc...mixing it up.

once you get the angle right then look at you settings to nail down the exposure you’re looking for not the camera, so maybe try an auto mode 1st just see what the camera thinks is a good setting. then maybe flick to manual to enter the setting and mix it up a little. (you will start to learn what makes a shot darker and lighter as you change your settings.) You do have to think about your metering setting being spot to centre or matrix...as this determines where your camera is taking a reading from in the scene and subject. You can even try all this before you head out...just try it in the garden with a toy car...

Keep at it thou...it will all click together at some point

Whether he shoots M or not has nothing to do with his problem in the first shots though does it? His problem is the crap flat light and poor composition :shrug:. I never mentioned camera modes because it brings out the tubthumpers who believe there's only one way of doing things :nuts:. I'm a bit long in the tooth for all that nonsense ;)

Thanks for that Phil it's appreciated. I've been flicking through the Exposure triangle and I think I'm starting to understand it now, (Finally)

Chris those shots are awesome. I'll keep practising with what you've said and hopefully it'll all start to click into place :)

Back