Notice Some big changes coming to TP

Wow. I didn't expect there to be this many responses!
I'm honestly and truly humbled by the number and content of your replies, and I'm overwhelmed at the messages of encouragement and offers of support, both on here and via PM.
Thank you so much. I know it sounds corny, but TP has been a massive part of my life for 16 years. To step back is a hard decision to take.

Thank you also for the kind words of support regarding my mental health.
I just want to clarify this isn't the reason I'm stepping back. I'm fine :)
It's just a part of some bigger decisions I need to make. My full time job takes a lot of my time now too, so doing all the things like andrewc describes above I don't really have the time for.

However I have a responsibility to you all as a community, so I think it only fair to the membership that I hand over the baton, hence why Im stepping down and handing over the reigns to someone trusted.
I could try and sell out to one of those companies that will just ram it full of advertising, but that goes against everything I beleive in and the whole ethos I've used to shape the forums for the past 16 years. It's why the advertising on here is very minimal and unobtrusive. It's a free, welcoming and user-friendly community for like minded people, and long may it stay that way.

Absolutely spot on. There is a lot to it. (There is also a lot that can be automated!). It's a big juggle some times!!!!
Especially when I get a WhatsApp from Cobra telling me the forums have fallen over!

But it's the middle of the day
I'm in work
Don't finish for another 7 hours.
Can only try and do my best remotely on my lunch break with my phone. (Can't even use work computers).
Fail
Eventually fix it when I get home, hungry.
:D

I'd also like to thank everyone for the private offers of involvement. I currently have someone to potentially take over the running of the forums, but if that falls thruogh then I'll contact those with an open mind to alternative suggestions.

Now, where did I put my camera?
Fantastic news that the forum will hopefully live on, my wife may disagree as I buy a lot from being on here, either from the Classifieds or by reading other people's reviews on lenses :ROFLMAO:

This is honestly the first place I come to on a morning, it's by far the best forum, bar none, that I've been a member of, that stems from the leadership at the top to the moderator team and the quality and positive, helpful attitude of the members.

please dont close this forum. whilst i have not frequented here as of late, but this forum has bee invaluable in setting me on my photography hobbiest journey from my first DSLR to my first real photo editing to all the discussion of photoshop techniques and tricks.

this forum is a great place for any budding photographer out there for some hands on advice as well as the established ones for like minded critique and banter!

Love this forum, over the last nearly 11 year I have learned a lot & my photography has, I think improved as a result. I like the feed back & can't believe the knowledge of the members. Although I've not posted much over the last 12 months as I've not used my camera much during the pandemic.

Long may TP continue.

I feel bad because I rarely post on here now. But the reason for that is because I haven't been doing as much photography as I used to do because of the usual excuses, work, family, other hobbies etc (bad health and lockdown hasn't helped either). However, this forum has been a massive help for my photography and I've found there are always people willing to help. It would be a shame to see it go but @Marcel you have to do what's best for you. Thank you, and any that have been a mod, for all your hard work.

Thank you, and any that have been a mod, for all your hard work.
Cheers Mike, like everyone else, I've also learned a lot, over the years, blimey, I've been here 14 years,
and it must about 10 as site staff.
I have always been more than happy to put back into TP, be that as a member or staff.
Yes, being staff can be a bit taxing at times, but that's just the nature of the beast.

I do have an important question mind you. And to me it's the elephant in the room that nobody has mentioned.

What's happening to the TP supply of Jaffa cakes?

:jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa:

I mean, if they need a good home, I'll send you my address.

(I made my real comment some time ago in the thread - and fingers crossed negotiations will be fruitful - as there's certainly a demand for the forum to exist in some shape or form!)

Cheers Mike, like everyone else, I've also learned a lot, over the years, blimey, I've been here 14 years,
and it must about 10 as site staff.
I have always been more than happy to put back into TP, be that as a member or staff.
Yes, being staff can be a bit taxing at times, but that's just the nature of the beast.

Just want to echo this, albeit with a slightly lower set of numbers for the years (12) and I think 9 for being on staff (though I spent most of the first 3 years doing quite a bit behind the scenes for the POTY competitions...)

The strength of a community is best measured by the willingness that its members to contribute their time and energies to that communitys wellbeing. Hopefully we'll get the future ownership resolved, and you guys can help us all go on from strength to strength...

Last edited:
Just want to echo this, albeit with a slightly lower set of numbers for the years (12) and I think 9 for being on staff (though I spent most of the first 3 years doing quite a bit behind the scenes for the POTY competitions...)

The strength of a community is best measured by the willingness that its members to contribute their time and energies to that communitys wellbeing. Hopefully we'll get the future ownership resolved, and you guys can help us all go on from strength to strength...

Agreed a few more images for Critique would be an asset I think- I post every day and sometime I get no written critique - just a few random likes- Or maybe my images are rubbish :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
just a few random likes
TBH I'm not sure what would happen now, if the like button was to be removed.
There is a lot of facebook mentality not only here, but in other places.
People have got used to using it, I'm not sure that removing it would actually increase comments after all this time.
( I was against it from the start)

TBH I'm not sure what would happen now, if the like button was to be removed.
There is a lot of facebook mentality not only here, but in other places.
People have got used to using it, I'm not sure that removing it would actually increase comments after all this time.
( I was against it from the start)

Not sure neither Chris - Critique on images is how we learn and develop our photographic skills- I welcome it good or bad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed a few more images for Critique would be an asset I think- I post every day and sometime I get no written critique - just a few random likes- Or maybe my images are rubbish :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Les :)

I figure that no comments mean that the posted image is perfect in every way...

The like button is a difficult one. I tend to use it when I agree with the content of a post rather than liking an image (except in the Photos for Pleasure section.)

Without the like button there isn't a way of appreciating something without clogging up the thread with 'nice photo' or 'I agree' type comments.

Without the like button there isn't a way of appreciating something without clogging up the thread with 'nice photo' or 'I agree' type comments.
As Marcel said
If this is successful, the forums will certainly be going back to its roots as a hobbyist community, as we used to be

I don't know if its possible or not, but, if it were to remain, my suggestion would be, remove it from the photo sharing forums and just leave it on the "talk" forums.
Oh and get rid of that damned (n) too

Last edited:
Isn't "I like that" a pretty good comment in itself?

In these troubled times if we can bring a moments beauty or pleasure into the world with a picture and people care enough to press the like button that's enough for me.

IMHO Likes do serve a purpose. EG My occasional FPOTY entries rarely score very well in the competition, but often garner a few Likes, which is some compensation.

Good fun ;)

I like 'likes' too and think they serve two constructive purposes:

Firstly, they allow you to show your appreciation without having to find the necessary words to offer a constructive comment. Sadly, not everyone is able to write as eloquently as they would like.

Secondly, they allow people who are in a hurry to still show their support when they don't have time to write those words. Most useful for people using their phone as typing on one is a PITA.

Sadly, they also suit the plain lazy who just can't be bothered. :facepalm:

Well it’s been well over a week since the initial announcement ,any updates on what is actually happening , I.e there dosen’t seem to be anything missing from the forum , I also note the initial post has been edited . Think the hot topics removal has been removed LOL

Last edited:
The like button largely ended the once common practice of posting critique on the forum.
I'm as guilty as anyone else in using it but it hasn't brought anything to the forum, whereas it has taken a great deal away.

Well it’s been well over a week since the initial announcement ,any updates on what is actually happening , I.e there dosen’t seem to be anything missing from the forum , I also note the initial post has been edited . Think the hot topics removal has been removed LOL

If I am not mistaken the Facebook and twitter share buttons at the bottom of the page have disappeared.
There's still options for reddit, WhatsApp and mail. not sure if they'll disappear too in the near future.

No idea if mobile app support has been withdrawn yet, never used the app.

the classifieds seem to have less traffic than it used to when I joined.

In truth the whole forum has less traffic than when you joined ... too much Farcebook use.

I don't post to faceberk, although I do use another forum, but that is sports related.
Faceberk is a mess for posting content.

In truth the whole forum has less traffic than when you joined ... too much Farcebook use.
In truth Fæcesbook has led to the downfall of many dedicated forums, not just photograhy ones. Two Land Rover sites I was on have gone since the rise of SoMe's, and other photo sites I frequent are shadows of their former selves...:(:(

IMHO Likes do serve a purpose. EG My occasional FPOTY entries rarely score very well in the competition, but often garner a few Likes, which is some compensation.
Different points system this year, you'll get more points :)

I'm in the like likes camp and for me at least they have not killed crit, if I have something to say about an image then I'll say it, OTOH if an image is pleasing but I have nothing to add then I will "like" it. Saying "I don't give crit any more because there is a like button" strikes me as a bit disingenuous, just get on and give crit if you are so inclined. Apparently Zuckerberg was against the like button for all the reasons given above but it got implemented on facebook anyway, like buttons are part of what people expect and I imagine they are here to stay.

Back