Notice Some big changes coming to TP

In truth Fæcesbook has led to the downfall of many dedicated forums, not just photograhy ones. Two Land Rover sites I was on have gone since the rise of SoMe's, and other photo sites I frequent are shadows of their former selves...:(:(

Two good things with farceberk is you can delete comments on your posts, and you can block people.

IMHO Likes do serve a purpose. EG My occasional FPOTY entries rarely score very well in the competition, but often garner a few Likes, which is some compensation.

I confess, I’m guilty of giving ’likes’. I mostly only do it on photos I do like but I also feel I’m letting the photographer know I’ve viewed & liked it. I don’t know if there is any other way posters know who has seen their stuff?

I suppose we could have a multiplicity of buttons for various things — how about a ‘wonky horizon’ button? Or ‘would be better in colour’ button? :exit:

I give likes where I have no crit to give. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who takes the time to look at pictures and actually offer what I hope is constructive critique, while everyone else just congratulates the shooter.

But I would definitely keep the Like button & the new variations, although we could do with a facepalm emoticon in there too: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...es-thread-jokes-memes-etc.617156/post-8933307

Last edited:
like buttons are part of what people expect and I imagine they are here to stay.

that's fair enough I suppose, but I don't have to like it...

(see what i did there ;) )

Ultimately folks - I think that the big thing that's killed crit isn't really the like button on here... it's more the undiscriminating way people heap praise on deeply and troublingly average to terrible over insta-filtered monstrosities in other areas of social-meeja.... this in turn has made lots of people feel "entitled"

- entitled to gushing praise if people actually write something about their "magnum-opus" (opuses ??, opii ??? )

- entitled to throw their toys out of the pram if someone who actually knows one end of a camera from another, and has a shred or two of ability when it comes to composition complains that their retina melting over HDR'ed sunset landscape might have been a little more pleasant if it didn't need to be viewed with a welding mask on to avoid radiation burns.

- entitled to swear, curse and go off in all different directions at everyone on the forum for "not getting it"

and

- entitled to go back to their preferred social-meeja and post all kinds of links to the forum, whilst getting lots of "u-ok hun?" comments from various Karens of their aquaintance.

So - in the end, often people have got to the point where they'll only give critique if they see something that they can't really criticise, taking the path of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything"

I don't - I don't give anywhere near the amount of critique I used to, but thats because i've got a "day job" - which is currently hovering at around 60-75 hours a week (until the pandemic either fizzles out or Boris et al sell the NHS to some american pharma investment company.) - and what time I have is generally spend slapping some knobjockey or other who's posting crap in OOF or hot Topics. I'm hoping that basically, HT disappears, and OOF resumes it's original "no Politics Religion on pain of Banhammer" approach - then maybe I'll actually be able to give a bit more crit here and there - because, actually, I enjoy it - and I think i'm half reasonable at critique within my chosen fields - probably better than I am at being tactful and professional when dealing with said knobjockeys...

Quote: "the forums will certainly be going back to its roots as a hobbyist community, as we used to be".

So, will the forum revert to use by those who do photography as a hobby, and not really for professional photographers?
And all the business related forums go?

I only do photos for my own enjoyment.

- entitled to gushing praise if people actually write something about their "magnum-opus" (opuses ??, opii ??? )

- entitled to throw their toys out of the pram if someone who actually knows one end of a camera from another, and has a shred or two of ability when it comes to composition complains that their retina melting over HDR'ed sunset landscape might have been a little more pleasant if it didn't need to be viewed with a welding mask on to avoid radiation burns.

I almost killed my laptop with a mouthful of water that nearly met the keyboard! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: In fairness, some members really need solid crit for their OnlyFans page images and I do feel they're really suffering from a poor or no advice..

that's fair enough I suppose, but I don't have to like it...

(see what i did there ;) )

Ultimately folks - I think that the big thing that's killed crit isn't really the like button on here... it's more the undiscriminating way people heap praise on deeply and troublingly average to terrible over insta-filtered monstrosities in other areas of social-meeja.... this in turn has made lots of people feel "entitled"

- entitled to swear, curse and go off in all different directions at everyone on the forum for "not getting it"

and

- entitled to go back to their preferred social-meeja and post all kinds of links to the forum, whilst getting lots of "u-ok hun?" comments from various Karens of their aquaintance.

So - in the end, often people have got to the point where they'll only give critique if they see something that they can't really criticise, taking the path of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything"

I don't - I don't give anywhere near the amount of critique I used to, but thats because i've got a "day job" - which is currently hovering at around 60-75 hours a week (until the pandemic either fizzles out or Boris et al sell the NHS to some american pharma investment company.) - and what time I have is generally spend slapping some knobjockey or other who's posting crap in OOF or hot Topics. I'm hoping that basically, HT disappears, and OOF resumes it's original "no Politics Religion on pain of Banhammer" approach - then maybe I'll actually be able to give a bit more crit here and there - because, actually, I enjoy it - and I think i'm half reasonable at critique within my chosen fields - probably better than I am at being tactful and professional when dealing with said knobjockeys...
You're probably not far wrong.
Feedback (I prefer this word to critique) should be useful to the recipient, but some feedback only focuses on the negative, with a "this is wrong or that is wrong". Feedback really does need to be a bit more in-depth than just the negatives. It needs to say how to improve, why you don't like an aspect of the photo. Some of it is down to personal choice and I think that should be said in any feedback given.
I don't really comment on landscape or portrait photos as they're not my thing, but I can still appreciate them and do like to look at them, that's where the like button comes in for me. It says "I like your image, but don't have anything to add".

I give likes where I have no crit to give. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who takes the time to look at pictures and actually offer what I hope is constructive critique, while everyone else just congratulates the shooter.

But I would definitely keep the Like button & the new variations, although we could do with a facepalm emoticon in there too: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...es-thread-jokes-memes-etc.617156/post-8933307
Exactly the reason I liked this post. To me a like means I have nothing else to say but agree with the author or I really like the image but dont have anything to say beyond nice image

Sad to hear. Are you looking for a buyer or just somebody to take over the financial burden of running it and take ownership.

Re crit (feedback): Could it be a combination of confidence and an improving and perhaps misguided attitude towards online respect?

Confidence as in who am I to comment on your photo? If I couldn't do better do I have any right to suggest how you could improve your photo?

Respect as in there has been an awful lot of concern around being respectful online in recent years and possibly that makes people more careful about saying anything at all?

So, will the forum revert to use by those who do photography as a hobby, and not really for professional photographers?

There's only one forum and we generally keep ourselves to ourselves in there.
Besides which, a large number of us started out from this site.

There's only one forum and we generally keep ourselves to ourselves in there.
Besides which, a large number of us started out from this site.

Amen.

Plus, it's much more fun being the moderator on duty in that particular forum... Mainly as we can be a little more "robust" as it's not google spidered.

You're holding back Mark. Tell us what you really think :D

It may surprise you when I say that WAS me holding back and trying to be as professional as I could manage... Sorry - this place has been a large part of my life for a long time, over a very unstable and occasionally traumatic decade or so - and I make no apology for getting somewhat passionate about it. Don't forget - Mods are Members first, last and always, we just get "found" and brought in to help the place operate - when I'm speaking as a member, i'm often more outspoken than in my staff role - though - there are times when the Outspoken Gobs***e Yorkshireman comes out even when i'm working. Hell, it has done occasionally in pretty much all my day jobs as well...

Re crit (feedback): Could it be a combination of confidence and an improving and perhaps misguided attitude towards online respect?

Confidence as in who am I to comment on your photo? If I couldn't do better do I have any right to suggest how you could improve your photo?

Respect as in there has been an awful lot of concern around being respectful online in recent years and possibly that makes people more careful about saying anything at all?

Confidence is certainly one thing but for me that's more to do with posting images than commenting on them.
But that also loops back into commenting to some extent. Picture I expect to do well has gone down like a lead balloon and those I expected to be average gets praised.
Sometimes makes think may be I don't know what's good and bad :thinking:

Confidence is certainly one thing but for me that's more to do with posting images than commenting on them.
But that also loops back into commenting to some extent. Picture I expect to do well has gone down like a lead balloon and those I expected to be average gets praised.
Sometimes makes think may be I don't know what's good and bad :thinking:

This happens to me but I assume it's down to a couple of things, personal taste and our connection to the picture. I/you may feel a great affinity and think a picture is the best we've taken in a long time but this can be down to the connection we feel, a connection that others may lack.

It seems there is a lot of :love: for the (y) or even the (n) button.
We lived without it for a lot of years. But with FB going from strength to strength people became very familiar
with liking their friends posts just for the hell of it, and a lot of that mentality started to creep into here.
Until it became almost a way of life. Talk photography was started by 3 friends as a way of sharing images,
and discussing them. Obviously we have come a long way, and diversified ( you only have to look at the amount of sections here now since then.)
I guess its a sign of the times...

, I also note the initial post has been edited . Think the hot topics removal has been removed LOL
I've just read through the edits, I don't think HT was on the table?
"Nice One, now where's me access to the classifieds"
You may or may not be surprised at the amount of RTM's we get asking for that. :D

Two good things with farceberk is you can delete comments on your posts, and you can block people.
You can block people here click their avatar and hit the ignore button.
Sorry you can't do it to staff though :p

I doubt that "professional" forums would disappear, The forum tries to cater for everyone, you only have to look at the amount of sections we have now.
Many were requested by members and discussed. Mostly they were approved. Some are almost redundant now though. Getting very few posts.

And as I understand it it was more of a general comment, regarding the fact that TP is and has been moving away from a photography forum.

The like button largely ended the once common practice of posting critique on the forum.
I'm as guilty as anyone else in using it but it hasn't brought anything to the forum, whereas it has taken a great deal away.
Absolutely spot on Roger (y)
I would have given you a "like" but I preferred to answer :D
And this is what I have been saying all along there is nothing wrong with a (y) in this sort of discussion,
or the opening poster giving a (y) for the comments that follow(ed)
But as above, its rather like "Video killed the radio star"

Whatever the decision and outcome, thanks for your efforts in making a fantastic forum for photographers of any talent!

That’s a sad way for this to go, it’s a great forum, in fact the best photographic forum I’ve been on and that’s down to the members as well as admin etc. Fully understand the route you’re taking personally, forums can be a drain especially when you’re wrestling with other stuff. Hopefully it can carry on with new leadership and continue to grow. Or more importantly continue to be what it already is. Happy to chuck a few quid in if it helps with server space etc.

I would personally like to thank you for all you and your teams efforts. I too, have made friends on TP and I could not envisage being where I am today with the assistance of the TP members. When out and about and you meet people and start chatting as you do, I always ask if they are members of TP and if they are not I always recommend they have a look, because if you have a question, any question, there will be an answer on the forums, if not, another member will take the time to research and come back with an answer. Again, I thank you for a brilliant community and hope your personal circumstances ease somewhat! Take care and again a really big thank you!

I too will be pretty miffed if this place goes.

This is the only forum I use not on Facebook user so can't comment on that side of things.

I have got to say I have learnt so much from this forum. The lighting section especially the knowledge and feedback given by the users is quite hard to believe really.

Gaz

Wow, possibly no TP! It's been such a huge part of my photography life for so long, I'll definitely miss it if it goes.

Some one should chip into a thing so they can buy themselves something for all the work they have done to date for free. Maybe they could do with some volunteers also. soz if this has been mentioned before.

Thank you so much for creating this from nothing and being here guys.

Just a quick note. I've not had chance to catch up with the thread yet....

However, I'd like to announce that discussions have been successful and TP will be continuing as is, with someone new at the helm.
More details soon, but I want to reassure you all that TP is not going anywhere and will stay as it is...infact you might not even notice the switch :p

However, I'd like to announce that discussions have been successful and TP will be continuing as is, with someone new at the helm.
More details soon, but I want to reassure you all that TP is not going anywhere and will stay as it is...infact you might not even notice the switch :p

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :ty:

What a result, nice one Marcel.

I do hope it's not the Capitan of the Ever Given :)

That's great news Marcel - well done. :clap: :banana:

Thank you, all!

Great news and thank you for your hard work in keeping the site going.

Back