Notice Some big changes coming to TP

A big thank to you, Marcel and all the Mods for making this Forum what it is - simply the best photography forum that I know.

I like the fact it's UK based and I can identify with many of the folk on here. The advice about equipment, technique and sometimes more personal matters is invaluable and the crit on photos is usually fair and helpful. The Mods are firm, friendly and fair and do a great job, whilst also joining in with the banter.

Above all, I like to feel a small part of the community here. I pop in at least once a day and will miss the place and the people should it disappear.

At the end of the day, Marcel, your priorites are the most important and you should do what you need to to keep it that way.

There’s nothing else like Talk Photography on the net where you can chat and get advice mainly about photography but also pretty much anything else as well
This place means a lot to me and would be a great shame if it were to close
Health comes first though Marcel so look after yourself and all the best for the future

I joined Talk Photography in 2013 after I met at group of people climbing out of a canoe at Symonds Yat. One of them told me that they wouldn't have spoken to me if I had been carrying a different type of camera :D . Since then, it has been such a helpful space: information, ideas and a safe place to trace [I haven't done a great deal of that but it has also been successful when I have].. I do hope it survives - health must come first- and continues in the same way. Fingers firmly crossed. Thank you so much.

Thanks Marcel and everyone who kept this forum going. It is largely due to this forum that my own photography improved.

It’s an excellent forum and I hope it continues in some form, thank you for your commitment and work on it over the years, and to all the mods who keep it running smoothly.

Marcel and all the mods, many thanks for all your hard work.

You must, of course, do what is best for your mental and physical health. I salute you for taking what must have been a very difficult decision. The very best of luck with whatever comes to pass.

I joined 6yrs ago (16/4/15), at the time I really didn't know much about photography. This forum has helped me improve immensely (well I think so anyway :) ). It's helped me find my genre, my style and the feedback I get on my photos has helped me to improve. It's not just the taking photo side of things that I take an interest in, it's the extras, like the computer section, lighting, printing and the 52 etc. I know there are 50 odd thousand members, but the forum still feels like a friendly, helpful family of people. It would be a real shame if this forum was to close down. I can't think of any other forum like it.
@Marcel your health and happiness is paramount and I hope you get both. Thank you and all the admin, mods that help to keep this site up and running.

Having had a bit more time to think about, I don't think there is an alternative to TP. It satisfies a wonderful set of requirements that no other forum does as well:
- UK based
- covers both equipment and photography topics
- covers all brands
- covers wide range of photography topics
- a very decent classified section that's very well managed, possibly the best one (UK based).
- good amount of traffic

Surely there must be a way to save this forum!!

Best of luck Marcel.

I envisage a lot of posters on here crapping themselves when they realise they'll actually have to take photos instead of just talking about gear :)

Seriously though you must do what's right for you.

Thanks for all the hard work.

So sad to hear this. Only been a member for a short while but the advice and encouragement from this wonderful community has saved time, money and improved my enjoyment. I hope someone sees the value in this site and it can move forward. That being said you and your family need to take precedence - thank you

I’d like to echo all that’s been said, TP is one of the first thing I click on and a great vault of knowledge, I’ve learnt loads about photography since joining.

Health comes first under all circumstances good luck Marcel you and the mods have done a great job running the forum, hopefully it continues.

I envisage a lot of posters on here crapping themselves when they realise they'll actually have to take photos instead of just talking about gear :)
:LOL:
That would hurt wouldn't it?
Although I have to add you'd probably be surprised at the amount of people don't do that either ( talk about gear that is) prefering to haunt the non photographic forums.

Last edited:
That would hurt wouldn't it?
Although I have to add you'd probably be surprised at the amount of people don't do that either ( talk about gear that is) prefering to haunt the non photographic forums.

Ok so how much more bacon would it take for you to take over and keep this forum going?

It would be a really shame if this place was to go. There is such a wealth pf knowledge. I know I'm not the only one who's made the journey from OK amateur to full time pro as a result of this forum. I'd miss it and the members to. You must do whats right for you though Marcel.

Very sorry to hear, Marcel. We need a strong UK photographic community forum!

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Very sad to hear the news, it one of the best forums about. A big than you to Marcel and the gang, for keeping it running so long, and for managing to keep content running smoothly. I do hope there can be a positive way forward.

Thanks, Marcel and the mods and everyone else, who have given us what I think is the best photography forum on the net. I really hope option 1 comes about, and I hope your health improves rapidly, Marcel. Best wishes, whatever happens.

Last edited:
All good things come to an end.
The most important thing is Marcel and his health.
I hope TP can carry on. I too would be happy donate if it was a means to keep the site going.
All the best.

" By 30/04 : Old content will be deleted. (The criteria is yet unknown, but it will be the really old and useless stuff filling up the forums) "

That will be all my content then. ;)

I really do wish Marcel all the best, and hope that his health improves.

I've only been a member for coming up to 2 years now, but I am an extremely fussy bugger (ask the wife) and certainly wouldn't have stayed more than 10 seconds if the site and its members didn't give me an enjoyable and encouraging time when logged in.
As a resource of knowledge, the site and its members are priceless.
As a Moderator on another well-known UK-based photo forum/site, I have some insight into what it takes to successfully run a site, so can perfectly understand that the strain Marcel is feeling is beginning to be too much. Look after your health, both physical and mental, and enjoy being a 'normal' member on the sidelines.

Thank you Marcel for keeping what I consider the best photo forum site going for so long, Fingers crossed it will continue.
Keep your self Well.

Pete

Many thanks for all you have done for photography and myself- great help from all members of the forum.

Thanks @Marcel & Mods. Do the best for yourself!

Blimey, I just looked at how long ago it was when I joined.

Thank you all for the incredible work you have all done to make this one of the best communities on the Internet. I moderate a couple of other forums and use TP as the "Gold Standard".

In the 13-14 years I've been here, I've been guided through my photography journey by many that have inspired me. From my basic 350D, through to full frame, and then onto mirrorless. Learning how to use a studio, how to shoot wildlife, and now the landscape of our new home. It's actually been a privilege to be a member.

Thank you Marcel, and the rest of the team. It will be a great loss if it were to go.

Thanks for all your hard work Marcel

I've fondly remember those early days of forum met-ups at Bolton Abbey, Liverpool and Blackpool, that's when the members of the forum really got me into photography.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not all clear how the site is or can be financed :(. There doesn’t seem to be any advertising. I see connections to Facebook etc are mentioned, which I’ve never seen/used

If I’ve understood, there seems to be 63,226 Members today and about 90 online today. Sadly people generally seem very unwilling to pay for any web content (or software etc :( ) if they can avoid it.

Ok so how much more bacon would it take for you to take over and keep this forum going?
You do the bacon & I'll find the Jaffa cakes
The trouble is its not all about bacon or jaffa cakes
the server hamster doesn't like either, and she is rather "High maintenance"

There doesn’t seem to be any advertising
There is quite a bit of advertising.
I'm not sure I should say who they are but are quite easy to find if you look in the right places.

Having had a bit more time to think about, I don't think there is an alternative to TP. It satisfies a wonderful set of requirements that no other forum does as well:
- UK based
- covers both equipment and photography topics
- covers all brands
- covers wide range of photography topics
- a very decent classified section that's very well managed, possibly the best one (UK based).
- good amount of traffic

Surely there must be a way to save this forum!!

This ^^

I think that is pretty much spot on really. I do use a few other forums :oops: :$ but the main issue with them are they are mainly USofA based which isn't too much of an issue as such but it's nice to be more UK related with gear/pricing/locations/retail outlets/classifieds, etc

It would be a shame if the forum is to cease but health does come first & foremost.

Thanks to everyone at the top for all our hard work & lets hope things can continue going forward in one way or another.

My first post here for 7 years now. I was here at the start and spent a long time as a moderator. Marcel has always been the powerhouse behind TP and I'm amazed he has kept it up for so long. If Marcel has a weakness it's that he is too nice and does too much. I've recently been lurking in the EOS-R thread (only) after my years in the wilderness so had no idea Marcel was now officially single handed (other admins were too scared to touch anything back then so it always was all Marcel).

There are times in life when you have to make changes and I hope Marcel will be nice to himself and do what is best for him.

Good luck Marcel.

I'm very sorry there has to be changes. However, as change is the only true constant in life we must all learn to adapt.

Thank you for all your hard work and I wish you the very best for the future. I hope you can guide things in the directions you'd like to see them go.

I really hope the new owner/s can do as fine a job as has been done already.

Good luck to all.

There is quite a bit of advertising.
I'm not sure I should say who they are but are quite easy to find if you look in the right places.

I do tend to blank out advertising :). I’m not sure whether to start looking now or remain in ignorance :(.

As a casual viewer and very occasional poster I would just like to offer my thanks to Marcel and the moderators for all their hard work over the years. I can't begin to understand the amount of work involved in running a site like Talkphotography but I can only imagine its a mamouth task 24/7/365.
I certainly hope that a way can be found to keep the forums ongoing
Good luck Marcel and the mods

Looking at the last filed accounts for the company, I would be happy to participate in a joint ownership proposal, if financial resources are required. I have run my contracting Ltd co's for 32 years and would like to diversify my financial activity as I move into retirement from that domain. My IT skills are however not relevant to running an online forum, unfortunately.

Will be gutted if this place is to shutdown.
Have spent thousands due to this site and the members but not regretted one bit if it.
Good luck in the future Marcel and thanks for the fantastic forum

Would be very sorry to see this unique forum shut down. Thanks to Marcel and all the mods & admins past and present who have done such a cracking job.

Back