Notice Some big changes coming to TP

I joined in 2005 and I used to frequent POTN and TP, but now this is the only photography forum I bother with and visit most days. Since joining I've met a number of you 'orrible lot in either a casual of professional manner.
Thanks to all the owners, past and present, and all the moderators who keep us on the straight and narrow.#

I'd hate to see the site close.

I don't know if I can do anything to help though - I don't have the time to take on running a site, but recognise that there are financial costs which must be met - hosting costs, software licensing costs and so on, so more than willing to contribute to that.

Last edited:
Your health and well-being and that of your family is your most important objective and with that in mind in I am eternally grateful for what you have done for this forum. I am hopeful that you are successful in securing new and sympathetic ownership of this forum and that it may continue in the same spirit.

Edit : I neglected to thank all the others, mods, admins etc who also contribute to making this place the best photography forum.

Last edited:
Thank you Marcel and the mod team, I sincerely hope things for you go the way you want and need them to. If the new owner/s run the forum half as well as you guys it would still be best out there.

I really hope this isn't goodbye.

OH NO !!!!!!
Blimey I did not see this comming :(

TP " IS " photography , I do hope it continues

Marcel and the TP team thank you ,for everything

I will be lost without this forum , It's the only one I use

I do hope it can continue in its basic form without all the non photo related topics

@Marcel

Firstly, your health & well being are paramount.

I, as mentioned by a few others, am not completely surprised that matters have come to a head and that a next stage in the evolution of TP has "arrived", a little saddened perhaps but not surprised. I had to check when I joined......July 2008.....my how time flies when we are having fun ;)

So, to the future? I have no idea whether I can "help" but please let me know???

I sincerely hope that TP survives this next stage of change and not just because it has been my primary photography forum, though possibly helped by the fact that is UK centric with overseas members bringing their perspectives et al to the platform.................rather than vice versa :D

Lastly for now Marcel many many thanks for your efforts, commitment and endurance in keeping TP going and making it the forum it is today :jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::beer::beer::beer:

I would also be happy to help keep it going in exactly the same way as it is now.

I’ve been a member on TP for nearly 11 years, it has like so many have said, become a 2nd home. I have learnt so much from it’s Community over that time, those members have helped nurture my photographic journey. I for one hope that the Forum continues because there is a lot of knowledge within it’s hallowed halls and I’d hate for that to disappear.

To @Marcel, you have been a fantastic Captain and have steered the ship admirably. You’re Health and well-being are paramount. I wish you well in your future endeavours..... To all the Mods that have made this an entertaining and enjoyable place to be a part of, I say a big Thank You.

Lets all hope a solution can be found to keep this Forum where it belongs..... That’s at the top of the Tree....

Sad to read this, a huge thanks to @Marcel and the whole team who have made this an enjoyable place to be.
Hopefully any incoming owners will continue the legacy and great work that has been done here over the years. (y)

well i didnt see that coming but yeah if its time its time
hit the delete button matey

Thanks very much Marcel for yours and the teams efforts in making TP what it is today and best wishes for your health and the future. I hope the forum can be saved.

Very sad and disturbing.
TP is my most visited website.
Many moons ago I used to be a long standing active member on a Shortwave Radio site. When it passed into different hands it went downhill.

Thanks for the last 14 years Marcel, you've keep this place running with your team pretty much without a hitch. If it does close it will be a sad day and l will miss it for sure even though l haven't been as active as the early days. All the very best to you and your crew buddy.

I can only echo what others have said. I'm immensely grateful to Marcel and the mods (sounds like a 60s pop group :) ) for all the time and effort that they've put in, but Marcel's needs trump ours, and if it means that TP disappears, so be it.

For my (no) money, this is the best photography forum, hands down. I've learned a lot here, been able to meet some amazing people on meet ups (sadly, too few) and it's the place I spend a lot of time.

Also, along with others, if I can help in any way, let me know.

Thank you so much for keeping this forum going for so long. I joined in 2009, and would have quickly given up if it wasn't for TP members sharing their amazing content, knowledge and encouraging us newbies. Crazy to think I've been using this place for a third of my life. What a great platform that has meant so much to so many of us, and I'm so glad it stay true to its values throughout the years. I hope there will be the best outcome for yourself and all members of this place.

Really sad to read this, the forum has been really influential in my development as a photographer.

I hope it is able to continue.

Thanks to you guys for your service and running such a great forum for so long.

Many thanks Marcel and to the mods for keeping TP going. Over the years you have done a great job.

Dave

Thank you for all you've done, Marcel. I'm really sad at the thought of TP closing, had no idea this was on the cards. There's lovely people here, always helpful, and I've learned a lot since joining here last September. I read and/or post here everyday so I've become attached to the forums. Fingers crossed for option 1! :ty:

If it was it would have been closed a long time ago, it is a thorn in the side of TP at times though.

Mod don't volunteer they are conscripted they just find a shilling in the bottom of their beer glass :D

I’ve not been in Hot Topics since I was (rightly:D) excluded!

Running a forum has to be a balance of money, expertise and time. If this is right, then it should be possible to deal with these issues, using the expertise of members. If not, the forum closes.

Very sad news - from a personal point of view I have learnt so much about kit and business aspects, would have been lost without that. Also some great banter!

Appreciate everything but do hope this carries on.

This is one of the best place for photo talks I've found around.
Thank you very much for everything you have done and doing, and I really hope this forum will continue to exist - it is one very nice community!

Times have changed massively over the past year or so and so many people struggling especially with mental health with very little support. I hope you get the support you need Marcel and life is precious and must come first. Thanks for having me as a member I love this place.

Oh dear if option 1 is not forthcomiong- I'll be looing for an alaternative forum :(

Thank you Marcel- its been emotional over the last 11 years & 22,344 post to date - I'll miss it should it disapear

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh NO, I have only just joined :oops: :$ But I hope it all goes well, and thank you

TP is a wealth of information that I've accessed over the years - something the social media groups can't come close to matching !

Forums closing are going to be a big loss to many people once they realise that it is the only real structured way to learn from members in an easily accessed way.

Good luck with whatever you decide !

Simon

When I started with my 1st Camera back in 2012 I found this forum and have stayed with it, I love the look of it and it`s like no other.
All the help and information that has helped me come forward is a godsend and has got me where I am today.
I hope this forum continues.
Thanks for starting this forum and I wish you all the best and for your hard work that you have provided in bringing this forum forward for us all.

Thank you Marcel and every other helper past and present, this forum has and hopfefully will continue to be my first port of call daily, its been a great resource and although I do not post as many as others do, I do look daily.

I can’t add anything new to what has already been said. From a personal perspective, I’ve been here since 2009 and found it absolutely invaluable both as a searchable resource and also as a place to just wander round and dip into to see what’s happening. It’s the only forum I use as I’m not that bothered about talking about equipment (which many others are), it’s primarily Brits so location discussions is relevant (and the ability to buy / sell stuff has been handy). I’d be saddened if it closed:(

Thank you Marcel for all the time and hard work along with Admins and mods in running what is one if not the best sites on the internet.
it’s been my own favourite site and forums for many years now.
I fully understand your need to step back and hope that someone will still be able to keep this forum going.
it would be a extremely sad day to see this site come to a end.
WISHING YOU ALL THE VERY BEST FOR THE FUTURE
Phiggys

I have enjoyed this forum for many years. Although I have not been so active with my photography due to looking after my Wife for 13 years who had Alzheimer's. This restricted my ability to go out and about with my camera. During this time I was able to feel I was part of a very special group of people (TP Photography) and was able to share their exploits with the camera. This was very special to me and kept my sanity (or I like to think so) at difficult times. So I thank you, the team and all the members for all the hard work and comradeship - thank you.

Marcel you state that it is the members that have made the forum, and whilst that is largely true, it takes someone special to bring together a disparate group of people and enable them to share their common hobby. You are and have been that person. You have taken on the workload to achieve this and I thank you for all your efforts and the way you have delivered on this task.

Your own health and welfare must come before anything else and therefore, whilst sad about the consequences for the forum, I fully support what you are doing and thank you for the clarity of communication.

Good luck and best wishes,
Ken

I am a relatively new user of this fine forum and I would hate to see it close as so much info has been offered to me, without things getting bitchy or aggressive and I have bought a fair slug of equipment off fellow forum members, all of whom have been honest and true.

I would hate to see this forum close.

Health comes first, hopefully the Forum will continue.

This is sad. There is no real alternative UK - based site. I hope it can keep going, but as others have said, you must look after yourself and thank you for all your work over the years.

Back