Notice Some big changes coming to TP

I run a small forum. Like Marcel I beleive that all the content on the site should be free.

However, several people said that they would like to contribute to help with running costs, so for a modest monthly subscription, they get a username in a different colour and a bigger private message box and a forum mask that doesn't display an Adsense advert. That's all.

I'm on a forum where donations are encouraged. There is no indication anywhere (other than to Admins) who is/has donated. It runs to a surplus.

I think that money is only part of the issue. Staffing, in terms of Admin (legal stuff, for example) Servers and software updates, and modding may be the bigger issues..

I'd pay a subscription.

I paid for Luminous Landscape and that was rubbish so I'd gladly pay for this place.

Money may not be the answer though as I expect a group of people still need to put in a whole lot of time.

If money will help, I'm in.

I'd pay a subscription.

I paid for Luminous Landscape and that was rubbish so I'd gladly pay for this place.

Money may not be the answer though as I expect a group of people still need to put in a whole lot of time.

I would too but it will depend on the motivation of a potential new owner. If he has a long history here and just wants to keep things "as is" and balance the books then that may help. If someone is purchasing the forum in order to make a profit and build a business then expect some big changes.

I'd pay a subscription.

I would too - and so would a lot of others I imagine. I already do on some other forums.

Although, as has been said already 'most people will want it free'. :banghead:

Members would stay 'as is', but I'd suggest a few simple changes for non-members:
  • Limited use of the Classified section.
  • Limited PMs.
  • Limited picture uploads.
  • Limited posts.

I would too - and so would a lot of others I imagine. I already do on some other forums.

Members would stay 'as is', but I'd suggest a few simple changes for non-members:
  • Limited PMs.
  • Limited posts.

Like the idea, mate, except:

If you limit the classifieds you'll kill them as the buyers and sellers will be too limited. You need as many people in there as possible to keep it buoyant.

Reactions: Sky

• Limited PMs.
  • Limited posts.
I've been on a forum where 'it was free', and then subscriptions were offered to members to keep the forum going. It killed the forum, and caused a great deal of animosity between paid members and non-members[some who had been members for many years, but chose-for whatever reason- not to take out a subscription].

I run a small forum. Like Marcel I beleive that all the content on the site should be free.

However, several people said that they would like to contribute to help with running costs, so for a modest monthly subscription, they get a username in a different colour and a bigger private message box and a forum mask that doesn't display an Adsense advert. That's all.
I'm on a forum where donations are encouraged. There is no indication anywhere (other than to Admins) who is/has donated. It runs to a surplus.

I think that money is only part of the issue. Staffing, in terms of Admin (legal stuff, for example) Servers and software updates, and modding may be the bigger issues..
I'd pay a subscription.

I would too but it will depend on the motivation of a potential new owner. If he has a long history here and just wants to keep things "as is" and balance the books then that may help. If someone is purchasing the forum in order to make a profit and build a business then expect some big changes.

These (and some other prior ones in a like vein) possibly sum up the situation and possible future.

It was my impression that @Marcel OP was not about the money but rather than rising burden of pressures of actually "running the forum".

Therefore possibly for the future owners to 'see' that is a good possibility of a cohort of current members willing to subscribe to pay/defray the running costs will be good.......they just need to then have in place the personnel who can run the back office functions. Of the latter, of course money coming in could pay for the ad hoc IT support required?

I've been on a forum where 'it was free', and then subscriptions were offered to members to keep the forum going. It killed the forum, and caused a great deal of animosity between paid members and non-members[some who had been members for many years, but chose-for whatever reason- not to take out a subscription].

I think this sums up my thoughts pretty much. A 2 tier membership could cause more issues than it resolves and, as has already been said, money isn't the overriding issue here in any case.

Sorry to hear this but completely understand something like this can just become too much.

I would avoid subscriptions, I have seen it kill off other forums in the past, current users may be willing to pay but it puts off new users and eventually the forum stagnates.

Hopefully you find a buyer, just please don't sell it to Jessops, we would only be back at option 2 6 months down the line.

For anyone interested, you can see when you first became a member of TP by clicking twice on your avatar picture or name in the top bar near the right, then clicking Your Profile. Your joining date will be shown below your user name. For many of us it could be a reminder of just how long we've been getting so much from TP.

A big thank you. Only come on here when I have time, but will miss it a lot.

Trevor

Small incentives like this would be fine. Larger benefits, like unlimited vs limited posting, would be far too divisive. A completely paywalled forum would shrivel and die. There are far too many other places to talk about photography online without charge - why would new members come here rather than Photrio or the AP forums or Dpreview or the Flickr groups or Reddit or photography-forum or photo.net or RFF or the many manufacturer-specific forums? I have a 'subscription' to the Guardian that gets me a few minor benefits like crossword puzzles, the ability to read offline stories via the app, and ad-free browsing, etc., but anyone can read the newspaper for free and participate in the comment threads, which is the way I like it. I support them because I want the site to be around next year for everyone, not because I'm forced to.

A huge 'Thank You!' to Marcel for making all this happen for so long, and especially for putting up with us lot! I hope a way can be found for this unique meeting place to survive.

Last edited:
There are far too many other places to talk about photography online without charge - why would new members come here rather than Photrio or the AP forums or Dpreview or the Flickr groups or Reddit or photography-forum or photo.net or RFF or the many manufacturer-specific forums?

In my case because

I don't like the AP forum. Too much aggression (or there was when I was looking in)
DP Review suggests digital - I don't do that,
Flickr, Reddit etc. - no real structure that I've found.
Photrio - OK, I look in, but there are too many posts for me to keep track
Manufacturers' forums - I don't think any of my large format camera makers have forums...

There are only 3 forums I actually use, the other two being CameraCraniums (because a lot of people moved there from another forum I was on that closed) and the UK Large Format Photography Forum. This is the only one that covers everything of interest to me.

Haven't been on over the weekend so I've just read this. Health comes first, for sure. Most times people join forums and contribute without really giving any thought to those running it so a big thank you from me too and I include the staff/moderators on that.

I just hope there's some way forward. I've had some excellent advice photos ,mainly birds/wildfowl but landscape too and met up with gramps at Slimbridge from time to time and gained even more knowledge so it will be a sad day if we lose all this.

In my case because

I don't like the AP forum. Too much aggression (or there was when I was looking in)
DP Review suggests digital - I don't do that,
Flickr, Reddit etc. - no real structure that I've found.
Photrio - OK, I look in, but there are too many posts for me to keep track
Manufacturers' forums - I don't think any of my large format camera makers have forums...

There are only 3 forums I actually use, the other two being CameraCraniums (because a lot of people moved there from another forum I was on that closed) and the UK Large Format Photography Forum. This is the only one that covers everything of interest to me.
We, of course, know what makes this forum worthwhile. But new members? Even a small compulsory payment is a high barrier to clear. Forums that require it will be immediately disregarded by a high proportion of potential members. I've no doubt that some current members would be willing to pay, but who wants to hear only the same opinions from the same people all the time? There are private clubs for people who like that sort of thing, but most people prefer to go down the pub. A paywalled or divisively two tier forum is worse for everyone, including the paying members.

Last edited:
Having only joined last year, I have found this site invaluable and would like to extend my thanks to all those who give their time and money towards its success - Thankyou !

I for one would be quite happy to make a 'donation' towards the costs to keep the forum in its current form (if possible)

Like others have posted, I am also a 'paid' member of other (non-photographic) forums and have seen 1st hand the negative sides of paid membership..... I left one recently after it was taken over by company who only wanted the membership database for selling on services !

However, I am quite sure that the majority would be quite happy to make a donation on a voluntary basis, without any merit awards or better access !

I wasn't suggesting making it subscription only; I too think it's important that access is free - without it, you'd definitely lose out on new members as has been said (and seen) already.

I think you just need to have a small incentive for people to want to join as a 'supporting' member, although I have seen on one forum that a monthly donation drive works well to meet the running costs.

Making it commercial in any way will kill it completely; I've seen this happen several times. Money has to come in from somewhere though, and as most people dislike adverts there has to be a way of raising some revenue to cover the running costs.

Subscription is a killer, but so is a lack of funding.

A forum I belong to is funded by advertising, a (well hidden) donation button and an annual Christmas raffle for which prizes are scrounged and good, tickets are cheap and optional. The 'draw' for the raffle is done using a random number generator and livestreamed - which gets a load of people on-line to watch.

I have a 'subscription' to the Guardian that gets me a few minor benefits like crossword puzzles, the ability to read offline stories via the app, and ad-free browsing, etc., but anyone can read the newspaper for free and participate in the comment threads, which is the way I like it. I support them because I want the site to be around next year for everyone, not because I'm forced to.

Me too!

Mod don't volunteer they are conscripted they just find a shilling in the bottom of their beer glass :D
I'm glad they never approached me. I wouldn't want to belong to any forum that would have me as a moderator. But maybe the new owners can make the recruitment process a bit more elaborate? Something like this:

‘On the 29th of October, at exactly 1:30pm, you will be sat in the Lamb & Flag. You will be wearing a yellow shirt, a yellow suit, a yellow bow tie, yellow socks, and yellow shoes, holding a yellow rose in your lapel’s buttonhole. You will have on your possession a smutty or left-wing publication, a fake/real diamond, and a plush squirrel toy. Besides these you will carry nothing but your keys and passport. Upon arrival, you will order refreshments in the following sequence: a double whisky neat, a Boilermaker, a pint of champagne, a Boilermaker, and a double whisky neat. Your progress will be monitored and having finished we will send instructions. You must commit to memory 10 alumni of the Bullingdon Club. Do not be late. Do not overlook any instruction. Valid we meet on the night, you are not to speak to any member, past or present, of the Bullingdon Club.

Yours expectingly,
The General'

A huge thanks from me as well to the owner(s), moderators and all the members. I've learned a huge and invaluable amount of information about photography thanks to this site, and the speed upon which you get the information is second to none. It's certainly a community and achievement to be very proud of. :)

As a recent recruit to TP I can't claim a long history of activity to my name, but in a short period of time I've seen the vibrant and supportive nature of the TP community. I have to admit to being unaware of @Marcel and his role in the creation and maintenance of such a great forum. Thank you @Marcel.

For me this site has been a ray of light during the dark period of the pandemic. I think one the best adverts for TP was the recent poll on membership of "Camera Clubs". Grossly simplifying the result..... TP epitomised what most people wanted from a club. It would be a tragedy if it was lost to the current members and future potential photographers.

I, like many others, would be prepared to support TP financially. But I am concerned that "subscription only" will put off the new joiner. It is only after a period of immersion in TP does the novice become the die hard TP member.

Thanks again to @Marcel and thanks to all participants for making this such an enjoyable and helpful forum.

so if the the worst comes to the worst where do we go
any other good photography forums ??

As per my comment few pages back (quoted below), none :(
At least there isn't one that'd be a direct like for like replacement.

Having had a bit more time to think about, I don't think there is an alternative to TP. It satisfies a wonderful set of requirements that no other forum does as well:
- UK based
- covers both equipment and photography topics
- covers all brands
- covers wide range of photography topics
- a very decent classified section that's very well managed, possibly the best one (UK based).
- good amount of traffic

Surely there must be a way to save this forum!!

Plus, supposing 63000 members signed up at this site Mod edit TP is still alive and kicking at the moment, redirects are still against the rules ;)

Surely it would suffer the same fate? The mods here have done a fantastic job over the years. It will be very difficult to replicate :(

Last edited by a moderator:

There are none as good as here at TP, but I joined three new ones last night just in case. One of them is an Astrophotography forum.

Glad I kept my Fuji X100V now.

Last edited:
There are none as good as here at TP, but I joined three new ones last night just in case. One of them is an Astrophotography forum.

If the worst does happen, we should all keep our usernames the same so we know each other elsewhere.

Hope it doesnt come to that though

I'll pretty much just echo what everyone else has said. Love TP not only for the excellent content and banter but that it's one of the rare UK centric forums. Would be a tragedy to see it consigned to the history bins, but totally understand the level of commitment owning one of these must take not only in free time but sanity as well. I dearly hope a way can be found for the forums to continue in a similar manner, but if not, then Marcel has given 16 years of his life to giving us arguably the very best photographic forum on the web, and for that I thank him and the others that have kept it running, no matter what it's fate is.

If the worst does happen, we should all keep our usernames the same so we know each other elsewhere.

Hope it doesnt come to that though

I do hope that this great forum can and does carry on, but if it does sadly have to close down I will have a tear in my eye as I will put the name of the two that I will use if it's allowed.
A part of me thinks we will be ok and carry on here at TP though.

Thank you for your contribution.

I am here to read people fall out of each other on the brands war, remembering the keyboard wars at the bird photography forum, it's toxic yet funny. The keyboard warriors that call out each other and yet their photos is only mediocre. Although there are many landscapers that does awesome landscape photos.

I didn't learn a lot here to be honest, mainly just reading for locations for potential photo shoot. I also spend sometime in the buy/sell forum reading people's low ball offers and counter offers.

Whatever the outcome is, good luck in future I hope you take care of your health, that should come first regardless.

Take care and keep safe everyone.

Hi what model of bike does the forum cater for please?
I’m into bikes have been looking into a forum , I’m mainly into Yamaha two strokes but also have a Z750 Kawasaki and a Suzuki bandit

UKGSER - The Tosser forum! So BMW GS riders.

I'm a mod on a car forum, and there is a "premium" service that's available. You get access to a general chat forum (The Premium Lounge) and see less advertising, but that's it. There never seems to be any animosity between the two tiers. If you have a subscription and still an arse, you get banned, simple as....

I'm a mod on a car forum, and there is a "premium" service that's available. You get access to a general chat forum (The Premium Lounge) and see less advertising, but that's it. There never seems to be any animosity between the two tiers. If you have a subscription and still an arse, you get banned, simple as....

I am surprised someone hasn't seen the monetary opportunity to have a "pay to be an arse" tier (by default puts you on everyone's ignore list but you won't be banned for being an arse lol)

I am surprised someone hasn't seen the monetary opportunity to have a "pay to be an arse" tier (by default puts you on everyone's ignore list but you won't be banned for being an arse lol)

could call it the "clarkson" tier.

@Marcel ...its the right decision mate if it is making you ill...…. although we all going to miss it if it goes.....

im a relative newcomer on this brilliant forum …. ive bought and sold a fair few things on here and never been ripped off or had any hassle at all.....

ive also made a few friends on here ….. im in contact with them on other forms of media.... ( whattsapp) and FaceB!

all the best Pal

Back