Critique Some children's location portraits

The expression in the first is a hit but #3 is my pick, absolutely convincing.

The first two show a well exploited DR as the last two's contrast is a tad too
strong IMO. Too many mid tones were pushes to either ends instead of being
simply tamed.

HTH. :cool:

simply tamed.

simply tamed.

Thanks you for the comments. Helps a lot. I do jump about a lot with editing. I do not edit a lot in my images but I do play with Mono a lot and change from time to time. So thanks again [emoji4]

I'd agree with what Daniel said, both about the best images and tonal manipulation. With the first, the tonal management has made the eyes so dark that they look slightly out of focus. The final image is nice too, but the expression doesn't match that of the third image.

With the first, the tonal management has made the eyes so dark that they look slightly out of focus

I'd agree with this and add that the skin looks like it's had some sort of glow which looks unnatural to me. This isn't present (or obviously present) in the others. Composition is lovely in all apart from the lad with the hat. Posing people against straight lines can be tricky for me as I always want the lines to be straight, and in this, they're not. It feels like you should have kept the same composition but moved to the left & slightly down. All the images look soft/blurred/oof to me. Not sure if this is a too heavy -Clarity pull, or just the way they've uploaded, or my eyes, or a combination.

I do like your poses and composition though. And I'd disagree with Daniel about the contrast pushing. It looks fine to me.

Back