NSFW Some great photos...

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Some pictures I really liked and some really weren't to my tastes.
But a very interesting article overall though. I enjoyed reading that.

This really. She has a strong style that looks almost chokingly retro even though aspects of it aren't. Definitely pushing photography into non-photographic places, but not aways in a good way *to my eyes* and that's entirely reasonable.

Indeed, even though I don't shoot film anymore (haven't for more than 15 years now), there lots pick up from her pictures.

Not my cuppa I'm afraid. "chokingly retro" is a great description. I think this kind of (what I would call) surreal photography is probably deeply personal and the message isn't reaching me. It's too disconnected and random - as if they are trying to find their style.

*runs away to hide*

I find it really interesting that for some the first/main impression is "retro", I see something really contemporary in these and the printing is beautiful. These are a style/genre of photos that I would really aspire to produce but I have absolutely no idea where to start, not particularly the nudity but the the soft ethereal whilst still being detailed look.

I quite like the two square landscape images with the lone figures. The rest of them aren't really something that appeals - although I can admire the work that goes into creating them.

I think the retro look is something that comes out of the techniques used. Hand tinting, for instance, is something that probably needs to be done for the love of it rather than it being a means to an end nowadays.

As always with anything like this, regardless of whether it has personal appeal, I'm glad that it's being made.

For me the techniques were 'retro' but the results were fresh and contemporary. Some work some don't but I was impressed with the techniques used.

I find it really interesting that for some the first/main impression is "retro", I see something really contemporary in these and the printing is beautiful. These are a style/genre of photos that I would really aspire to produce but I have absolutely no idea where to start, not particularly the nudity but the the soft ethereal whilst still being detailed look.
The ethereal is something I sometimes attempt, but the surreal not so much. There are some aspects of photography* that I feel the same way as I used to about football - ok if you take part in the game, but not at all something I'd want to watch other people doing. I'd enjoy making my own images like this much more than looking at someone else's.

* I have a macro lens but don't enjoy most macro pictures (or wildlife) because so often they're just record shots. Every time I get close to a flower I feel guilty. :sorry:

Last edited:
I see a lot of style for style's sake. No great photographs though. Soz.

Ah, the great Mortensen. I was just reading earlier the letter from Ansel Adams to Edward Weston, where in response to EW's letter referring to a great photo he (EW) had just made of a fresh corpse in the desert, AA brought up Mortensen and referred to different stages of decay. It's in his autobiography for anyone who wants to find it. Look up Turner Reich lens in the index, and it's in the reply to EW's query on the lens.

Back