#4 Robin
IMG_9101.jpg

#5 Blue Tit
IMG_9109.jpg

#6 Chaffinch (I think?)
IMG_9133.jpg

#7 Moorhen
IMG_9169.jpg

LOL You bother because it's a challenge and you love every minute of it.;)

The Great Tit is so close to being a stunner. Are you using a tripod for these shots?

LOL You bother because it's a challenge and you love every minute of it.;)

The Great Tit is so close to being a stunner. Are you using a tripod for these shots?

appreciate the feedback! thanks
yup - tripod for this set

only got 200mm reach though

mebbe need to throw more glass at it
(Dear Santa...) :nuts:

I know how you feel and at least CT et al give us something to aspire to! ;)

Will try and get closer for mine as I can't afford the glass:crying:

I like them tho, the blue tit is really good, how far away were you.

like no 1....and the chaffinch has a ring on its right leg!

I know what you mean about the challenge! . was gonna post a few from yeterday but decided they were not good enuff :shrug:

thanks! :)
most of them were at a range of about 10 feet
Robins in the tree were about 25 feet

I have written to Santa, but I suspect the mail has been intercepted by the household accounts manager :(

I'm not trying to be a smart arse - honest, but some of my best shots are taken by getting closer and using the 70-200. This shot was taken with the 180 macro from around 5 or 6 feet.

IMG_4330-01.jpg

I'd go so far as to say I'd far rather use shorter glass any day than the longer glass if I can get close enough which of course, isn't always possible. Even with 500 or 600mm lenses though you'd be surprised how close you still need to get to really resolve the fine feather detail in bird shots, it really isn't any magic answer to great shots.

Concentrate on trying to get closer. A good solid tripod is your best friend along with a single AF point selected and Servo AF mode. Concentrate on getting that AF point on the eye if you can.

If your camera has AI Servo, don't bother with it - it's totally unreliable.

Don't get disheartened and keep clicking whatever you do. ;)

thanks for the feedback CT
how do you get so close without scaring the little blighters?
some kind of hide I guess?
another great shot btw!!

They are pretty good. A bit more practice and patience will pay off... (and a hide ? :shrug: ... I keep debating setting one up )
It's all about patience. and it's a big learning curve... ...

I'm now getting a few good 'uns like this one hand held 200mm on a beach about 8' away, its about
a 50% crop

1795008749_280e4f7654_o.jpg

and this... 200mm again at about 6' away

1459470423_f3a4c2daed_o.jpg

CT - I'd never of accuse you of being an smart arse. You shots are simply superb and I guess that's because you invest the time and energy into planning your shots.

Thanks for the advice a new tripod is on it's way to me and will spend a lot of time in my garden this winter.

mmcp42 - sorry for hijacking your thread, although the advice is good for both of us!:D

Thanks Paul,
I saw your ladder and tarpaulin idea in another thread (at least, I think it was you)
might give that a whirl

like the picture btw - one can but aspire!

[silly]
so, you climb the ladder and throw the tarpaulin over the bird, then crawl in to take the picture - flash I guess - gonna be dark in there
[/silly]

CT - I'd never of accuse you of being an smart arse. You shots are simply superb and I guess that's because you invest the time and energy into planning your shots.

Thanks for the advice a new tripod is on it's way to me and will spend a lot of time in my garden this winter.

mmcp42 - sorry for hijacking your thread, although the advice is good for both of us!:D

indeedy - you're most welcome!

Ooh... nice shot there from Paul which will still sharpen I reckon. ;)

I get some of my really close shots through the open kitchen window with the camera on a tripod, but I can also get pretty close by setting up outside and keeping pretty still with my head ducked down behind the camera. Give the birds a chance to get used to you sitting out there.

A good tripod and a gimbal head makes life a lot easier for smoothly tracking the birds and getting that AF spot over the eye. However if you're just using a ball head, slack it off totally and just keep your hands on the camera/ lens to support it. You don't want to be messing about with knobs and levers when that chance comes. Remember to just lock it if you take your hands off! ;)

Use a hide of some description if you can, but if you have to sit in the open then keep low - it bothers the birds a lot less, and it's more comfortable if you're sitting.

Wear a hat particularly if you're folically challenged. Your face and any skin showing is what the birds notice most and what spooks them, so gloves help too as your hand movements are really noticeable. Keep your movements smooth and slow. Sudden movement just of your hands alone startles them and they'll be off.

Yes... that and big white lenses will scare them!! ;) :D

Just as an add to what CT has said re getting closer to the subject, try to stand next to a tree or something similar and wear clothes that blend in with the surroundings such as green or khaki coloured and not bright colours.

As we're on the subject of getting close to birds. I thought I'd explain the setup recently established at me parents house. They have recently install a bird feeder, conveniently close to a purpose made hide, thats been sitting in the garden for a year or 2 now.

The following picture gives a brief display of the layout and the approximate location of where the bird feeder is ( as it was not setup at the time this photo was taken)

kae_Lucy_times_edit.jpg

Do you think the birds will notice me? :D

As we're on the subject of getting close to birds. I thought I'd explain the setup recently established at me parents house. They have recently install a bird feeder, conveniently close to a purpose made hide, thats been sitting in the garden for a year or 2 now.

The following picture gives a brief display of the layout and the approximate location of where the bird feeder is ( as it was not setup at the time this photo was taken)

kae_Lucy_times_edit.jpg

Do you think the birds will notice me? :D

dunno - which one's you? :nuts:

is that 2 nieces and multiple exposures?

Back