Beginner Some of my 35mm

Nice collection you've started there, welcome to the slippery slope :D

And of course a Voigtlander :D

Hi Kevin

The XV-2 Vivitar in the late 1970s. It uses K mount lenses.The XV-2 was manufactured by Cosina, probably based on the Cosina CT-2.

if that helps

The Vivitar XV-2 needs a clean its been a few years since its been used I got it way back in 1982 when I was based in W Germany

Hi Kevin

The XV-2 Vivitar in the late 1970s. It uses K mount lenses.The XV-2 was manufactured by Cosina, probably based on the Cosina CT-2.

if that helps

To find out who made what from Japan is a nightmare, lots of subcontracting..AFAIK Cosina never designed a camera but assembled models from many manufacturers and my guess is Cosina used cheap labour in countries so they were made at a cheaper price, and all it needed was the main manufacturer (who Cosina was assembling for) to have a small staff checking quality control...So the Cosina CT-2 could be based on another camera?
Good luck for anyone proving me wrong as I said, it is a nightmare finding out who made what.

I think that where the same camera was made for a number of the big names, it is safe to assume that Cosina designed them. For instance, the Cosina CT1 Super aka Nikon FM 10, Canon T60, Olympus OM 200 and several other makes was designed by someone and not by any of those big names.

I think that where the same camera was made for a number of the big names, it is safe to assume that Cosina designed them. For instance, the Cosina CT1 Super aka Nikon FM 10, Canon T60, Olympus OM 200 and several other makes was designed by someone and not by any of those big names.

Well it's a maze because then you have to assume they designed the lenses, bodies, electronics etc etc

Nice collection, a slippery slope, but a great one, enjoy!

Well it's a maze because then you have to assume they designed the lenses, bodies, electronics etc etc
Someone had to design those things, why assume Cosina are not capable? The alternative is to assume that Nikon and Canon design their own cameras, lenses, electronics etc.

Last edited:
Someone had to design those things, why assume Cosina are not capable? The alternative is to assume that Nikon and Canon design their own cameras, lenses, electronics etc.

Why should Cosina gamble on setting up a design team for everything from lenses to shutters when they can let the main manufacturers, who have the experience over many years, do the work and all Cosina has to be is a very efficient sub contractor to organise all\some of the parts from the main camera makers and other subcontractors...to assemble cameras. Anyway this is the maze as e.g. because you see Nikon on the camera it doesn't mean everything down to the smallest screw is made by Nikon. Maybe in the old days cameras like Leica esp lenses were only made by Leica and didn't buy optical glass from others and made their own..... as there weren't any sub contractors around they could trust.
Anyway good luck finding out who made what in Japanese cameras ;)

Literally the first thing said in the Cosina Wikipedia article is that "Cosina is a designer and manufacturer of cameras and lenses" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosina) :rolleyes: Talk about argument for argument's sake...

:D
You are missing the point i.e. who made what..who knows your Nikon, Pentax etc lens might be designed and made by Cosina, why they can't design their own lenses would be a puzzle. And why aren't Cosina own designed lenses (or cameras) highly sought after...the ones desired (lenses) are the ones licensed to produce from the big names. Whether this has all changed from digi onwards is for the digi forum.
Incidenaltly I know Minolta and Leica were in partnership at times and a particular Minolta zoom was identical to the Leica at a cheaper price.
Anyway I've seen this type of discussion on other forums and one guy summed it up in saying "who cares who made a lens as long as it gives excellent results" so :exit:

Back