Some of my first ok ish shots

Name
Niki
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok heres some shots that im sort of happy with.
Any crititique welcome, i need to learn.

The first two are from Croyde Beech in devon and i have played with them a bit in PS

Some taken at Beaulieu Motor museum, no editing.

Thanks for looking

OK
#1 is a bit of a non photo, nice use of DOF but really does nothing for me.
#2 nice enough shot, crop works but there is no real interest in the pic
#3 nice DOF composition is OK but I think it needs a little more space on the left
#4 well composed pic, looks like it's leaning to the left a bit
#5 cracking well spotted and well shot

Hi Niki :) :welcome: to TP :)

You've definitely got an eye for a good photo. The composition on these is very good.

No1 - The DOF on this shot is a bit too shallow for my liking. Of course it's a personal thing. It's a bit of a shot to nowhere. I wonder if there was an angle where you could have used the crevice to lead the eye out towards the sea?

No2 - Lacking any sort of detail in the sky and the foreground needs a bit of PP work to lighten it. It looks to be sloping to the left a bit too.

No3 - Crying out for a bit of sharpening!

Jack_Frost%20edit.jpg
Jack_Frost.jpg

No4 - Again, it looks to be sloping left a little. This is a lovely shot with a great sky. It's really begging for a little PP and a sharpen though :)

Palace_House_Beaulieu%20edit.jpg

Palace_House_Beaulieu.jpg

I hope you don't mind the edits, you do have the "ok to edit" box ticked :)

Many thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the edits Paul.

I like playing with DOF at the moment because its not something i get to do much. I just struggle finding a subject which intrests me and i think i over think things sometimes but i also sometimes rush (mainly when i have company with me).

Any quick tips on ISO as well? Im not sure i completely understand when i should be changing it, i have to keep it at 400 for all my shots at work so have never really got to grips with what it does exactly.

The ISO increases / decreases your sensors sensitivity to light.

By increasing the ISO value you will achieve a higher shutter speed. Try it. Meter a shot (half press the shutter button) at ISO 100. Now change the ISO to 200, don't change anything else, and meter the same shot again. Look at the faster shutter speed. Now really exaggerate it - change the ISO to 1000. Now meter the shot again and look at your shutter speed :eek:

The rule of thumb is to always shoot at the lowest ISO you can get away with. This is because there is a trade off - the higher the ISO, the more noise you introduce into the shot.

As a general guide keep this in mind - to avoid camera shake, aim for a shutter speed at the equivalent of (or greater than) your focal length. So if you're shooting at 100mm, aim for 1/100th shutter speed. If you can't get that at your chosen aperture, increase the ISO a little.

Photography is always a balance between your chosen aperture, the necessary shutter speed and the ISO.

Hope that helps :)

(y) glad to help :)

Back