Some recent pictures.

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
In no particular order some recent pictures from around the Scottish Highlands.
Been having motivation issues recently what with the lack of decent winter conditions this year. Quite keen to get out this weekend but the forecast is putting me off, high pressure and blue clear skies.

Quinag from Druim Bad a'Ghaill on a windy day with plenty of hail showers coming in from The Minch.

Quinag by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Myself and a great bunch of guys had a superb week away in Torridon. Great craic, company, accommodation, locations, conditions and picked up a few pointers along the way. The food wasn't too bad either. :)
So here are some hills in Torridon from up near the Triple Buttress. It's a few portrait shots stitched together, 5 if I remember correctly.

Torridon by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

From the top of Bealach na Ba.

Bealach na Ba by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

A favourite from the week on Loch Clare.

Trees and Mist by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

And a few mono pictures.

Mist and Mood by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

A tree in Glencoe, I like this because the Buachaille isn't in it. :)

Winter Blues by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Some snow and a rock. The Isle of Skye is just visible in the background.

Up Bealach na Ba by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

A rework of an older shot which was posted earlier. This was the test exposure before applying a ten stopper. More often than not it's the test exposure I favour eventually once you get over the initial attraction of LE.

Elphin Bothy by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Last edited:

I don't question the beauty of the land nor
the skills of the togger seeing these! (y)(y)

Some truly wonderful work there Scott
Winter blues pips it as my fave

They are fantastic, Mist and Mood being my standout - would love to see it printed BIG - closely followed by Trees and Mist. Both would grace any gallery wall.

Well that's a very eclectic set of images Scott. I know how you feel about motivation with yet another very poor winter and no constant weather to talk about.
I love those colours and flow of 'From the top of Bealach na Ba' but agree the 'Trees and Mist' is delightful and my favourite.

I have the similar 'tree in Glencoe' as you which I stumbled across the snow for, and for the same reason without the Buachaille in the background except you have a much smarter sky than my meh claggy one :(

Not bad, Scott :D

For me, the Mist and Mood shot is a cracker, with the Up Bealach na Ba shot coming a close second.

Very good set :clap::clap::clap: "Trees and Mist" has a special quality in my opinion.:)

Photos are just superb. How do you do your PP to get such a beautiful result ? I just cannot replicate it.

Photos are just superb. How do you do your PP to get such a beautiful result ? I just cannot replicate it.

If you think PP is the answer then you will probably never achieve it, the quality of the light in each shot is what makes them.

Last edited:
'If you think PP is the answer then you will probably never achieve it, the quality of the light in each shot is what makes them.'
That's unfair? There's clearly quite a bit of PS going on

Last edited:
'If you think PP is the answer then you will probably never achieve it, the quality of the light in each shot is what makes them.'
That's unfair? There's clearly quite a bit of PS going on

Maybe I was a bit reactionary but it would be a mistake to think you can just PP your way to shots of this quality, which seemed like the inference from the question.

Maybe I was a bit reactionary but it would be a mistake to think you can just PP your way to shots of this quality, which seemed like the inference from the question.
I totally appreciate that the light is very important. What I was asking about was the almost glossy finished effect that I can see compared to other similar shots by other photographers. Can anyone else see that ?

I totally appreciate that the light is very important. What I was asking about was the almost glossy finished effect that I can see compared to other similar shots by other photographers. Can anyone else see that ?

Do you mean the sparkly highlights?

Great set. Can you tell me what you did to the last image of the shack. The effect is brilliant.

On the subject of post-processing - I don't think there's anything "overdone" going on. Trees in mist is shot into the light after a shower so you're getting lovely twinkly highlights which is what makes the shot. The Elphin shack is simply in the middle of typically wintry Scottish weather with some nice contrast added to an already dynamic scene.

Thanks again guys. Just catching up on some comments.

Thank you, I got what you meant. Just to reiterate what's already been said, there's nothing added and nothing taken away, well maybe the odd telegraph pole or suchlike. Light and conditions do go a long way but you know that already. Re processing, I don't do much different from other folk, all pictures are from one raw file processed in Lightroom with a wee personal preset tweak in NIK Software just to finish them off. It's a very subtle effect, barely noticeable, but I like what it does to my pictures. It's not to everybody's taste but I only take pictures for my own personal enjoyment, like most folk.

On the subject of post-processing - I don't think there's anything "overdone" going on. Trees in mist is shot into the light after a shower so you're getting lovely twinkly highlights which is what makes the shot. The Elphin shack is simply in the middle of typically wintry Scottish weather with some nice contrast added to an already dynamic scene.
The trees in mist shot was taken not long after the mornings frost had thawed producing the drops of moisture in the trees which is catching the light, similar to a passing shower as you say. Amazingly it only rained once for a short period during one night for the whole week. Not bad for the north of Scotland in February.

Thanks again guys.

Wow, just wow. Trees and mist is my favourite, no idea why, just appeals to me.

I thought the food was excellent actually. Still annoyed I missed the Triple Buttress shot - I think thats a beauty.

Back