Some shots from a recent trip to Scotland

This kind of comment put me off posting when I first joined a few years ago, as I really like several of the OPs photos. Maybe I should go back to Facebook

Thing is you have 2 choices

1 go back to Fb and get likes
2 learn more by feedback

I too like the images but I can also admit to being slightly clueless with landscape. I think you've quoted Steve ( ST4) but you've cut his name out so correct if I'm wrong. He knows his stuff and really hasn't said anything nasty, just honest and helpful and one that I'd really listen too for improvement :)

Right, this thread's had a bit of a tidy up.

Now let's get this back on track please

Thing is you have 2 choices

1 go back to Fb and get likes
2 learn more by feedback

I too like the images but I can also admit to being slightly clueless with landscape. I think you've quoted Steve ( ST4) but you've cut his name out so correct if I'm wrong. He knows his stuff and really hasn't said anything nasty, just honest and helpful and one that I'd really listen too for improvement :)

I was going to edit my post, but you've said it :)
There are some very good happy snappers on here who do know what they are talking about and do recognise what has been done, and what can be done, to improve a shot.

Number 2 for me please, composition is well balanced, love the sandy foreground, and really love that single cloud in the sky...

This kind of comment put me off posting when I first joined a few years ago, as I really like several of the OPs photos. Maybe I should go back to Facebook

I can only echo what T's already said.
Yes, Facebook has its place as somewhere to share photos amongst friends and get a bit of encouragement through the culture of 'likes', if that's your thing.
The forum though is more focused on improving your photography and learning what you could do better.

That doesn't mean to say that every photo that receives constructive critique is poor.
However, there are many good photos that could actually be great photos through taking on board comments and advice from members.

It depends what you want to get out of it.
Sharing photos just for the fun of it - "photos for pleasure" section here or Facebook/Flickr/Whatever
Serious about learning and improving - post them here and take any critique in the spirit in which it's intended, not as a personal dig.

Last edited:

The thing is, photography is subjective, as is any artistic endeavour. I dare say we like different music for example, but that doesn't make either of us right, just that we like different stuff.

Now, whilst I'm always one for 'the final image is what matters' and some get caught up with the rules of photography, or nit picking the technical aspects, just sometimes someone says something that the next time you are doing something similar, whether it be composing the shot or post processing, you think - 'ah hang on, if I just...' and perhaps make a better image. Or you might consider to take one your way and another a different way you hadn't considered.

For me, and the way they were presented, I only liked image 2, thought the rest were interesting but personal memories of a time in a location.But see them differently presented, say exhibited large with a back story, they might have a different impact.

gr8 set love the moodiness of the grey clouds yet the blue skies on the others some Scotland up well :)

For me, and the way they were presented, I only liked image 2, thought the rest were interesting but personal memories of a time in a location.But see them differently presented, say exhibited large with a back story, they might have a different impact.
I'd agree with this. The 2nd was the one I really stopped to look at. If I could offer any feedback is that there's too much sky and not enough of the interesting looking patterns in the sand which there's only a hint of there.

Back