Some shots from a recent trip to Scotland

Edit My Images
No
Various shots from around Scotland last week.

Dornoch Firth

2015-7194.jpg

Somewhere off the A838 (can't remember)

2015-7197.jpg

When the weather turns bad. This one is definitely on the A838 about 10 miles south of Durness

2015-7199.jpg

2015-7200.jpg

2015-7205.jpg

2015-7206.jpg

Somewhere in the Cairngorms

2015-7214.jpg

2015-7220.jpg

Very nice Ian
2 to 5 are my pick

A "Stunning" set of landscape images Ian. with some beautiful lighting and clarity.(y)

George.

Excellent set, like the rainbow (y)

Thanks all, very much appreciated :).

Bryn, I used a Lee 0.6ND Grad on a couple of the sunny ones lower in the set.

Not bad for a Southerner :)

I like them. Well composed, good colours. I especially like the rain/ clouds.

Cheers Kevin :)

Haha, Thanks Ken :D. I take it you're way up there in Scotland? Glad you both like them :)

Thanks again all. :)

Mark (Gupster), Do it. Scotland is a photographers paradise :)

Great set of shots Neil, no5 and no8 being my favourite.
Never been up north yet, but seeing cracking images like these is making it a must do.

Excellent set of images lovely atmosphere in them.

Last edited:
The best are the 'bad weather' shots, very nice indeed. The weather is too 'good' in the rest, mountain scenery really suits moody skies whereas sunny pictures can come across as tourist snaps, unless you have incredible light. The composition is pretty good in number 2 although it's a shame to see clear blue sky at the expense of those lovely lines in the sand.

Ian, I have to do this because you have reached a level where the rendition,
the ultimate intervention in the creation of a photograph, will make or brake
all the work, efforts, and care you have invested in it.

Some of the pictures, in the potentially awesome collection presented here, are
displaying halos. Others, not controlled enough highlights, even saturation levels.

In all, the rendition qualities are not constant. At this point in your progression,
rendition mastery should no longer represent any of these of issues anymore.

Good god:rolleyes:

Back on track tho. This series, for me, really shows the variety and drama of our lovely scenery up here(y). At certain times of the year it can't be bettered worldwide.

Back on track tho. This series, for me, really shows the variety and drama of our lovely scenery up here(y). At certain times of the year it can't be bettered worldwide.
Got to admit, only been to Scotland twice, once to the Balloch area (Loch Lomond) and then Fort William and its a stunning place, not IMHO as nice as the Lakes but then again im only 2 hours from the lakes

These images portray everything nice about Scotland, who cares if theres the odd halo or slight boost in saturation, theyre lovely all the same

This series, for me, really shows the variety and drama of our lovely scenery up here. At certain times of the year it can't be bettered worldwide.

Absolutely! I was sharing wines and stupendous photos I saw on TP with some friends
over the weekend… and the reactions were unanimous: fantastic, etc! They even forgot
to tell me how the wines were!

Got to admit, only been to Scotland twice, once to the Balloch area (Loch Lomond) and then Fort William and its a stunning place, not IMHO as nice as the Lakes but then again im only 2 hours from the lakes

These images portray everything nice about Scotland, who cares if theres the odd halo or slight boost in saturation, theyre lovely all the same

Yeh agree with the photograph comments.

As for the scenery, I've only been to the lakes once and loved it, wonderful place. I'm obviously biased but the thing about Scotland is the variety from the Machair in the Western Isles, to the barron ruggedness of the likes of Cape Wrath and Caithness, to the mountains of the Cairngorms etc etc to the majestic beauty of Royal Deeside (my area)and of course out tremendous seascapes.

Reactions: ST4
Yeh agree with the photograph comments.

As for the scenery, I've only been to the lakes once and loved it, wonderful place. I'm obviously biased but the thing about Scotland is the variety from the Machair in the Western Isles, to the barron ruggedness of the likes of Cape Wrath and Caithness, to the mountains of the Cairngorms etc etc to the majestic beauty of Royal Deeside (my area)and of course out tremendous seascapes.
Some of the pics ive seen on here recently (old man of storr etc) have made me want to visit up north sometime in the future

They do, but I don't think many are that good due to heavy handed processing and flat lighting conditions. Particularly the first two and last two of the images. Subject matter is good, but more interesting light and better PP would make these sing.

Last edited:
They do, but I don't think many are that good due to heavy handed processing and flat lighting conditions. Particularly the first two and last two of the images. Subject matter is good, but more interesting light and better PP would make these sing.

I'm not in a position to argue Steve as this type of photography is your bag and the pics you post are of a consistently very high standard imo, certainly amongst the best landscape pictures posted on here. The OP would do well to take advice from the likes of yourself and I'm sure will improve.

I'm not in a position to argue Steve as this type of photography is your bag and the pics you post are of a consistently very high standard imo, certainly amongst the best landscape pictures posted on here. The OP would do well to take advice from the likes of yourself and I'm sure will improve.

It's all about light and time of day. The OP has been all over Scotland in a short space. Trips like that are great for seeing things bit for taking IMHO high quality landscapes you need to be on location bright and early in the morning and late in the afternoon.

Use of grad filters, subtle pp inc levels, curves, colour channel manipulation. All that comes after but basics start ar choosing when to shoot to proper camera technique and finishing in post.

What the set does achieve is show the range of scenery types here in Scotland but none of the Photos in my view are that good. The OP is probably new to photography and will improve in time

Last edited:
For me #2 is the best because of the colours, love the foreground leading to the different colour mountain in the background.

Love to go to scotland sometime but put off by stories of killer midges. Is there any best time to go?

For me #2 is the best because of the colours, love the foreground leading to the different colour mountain in the background.

Love to go to scotland sometime but put off by stories of killer midges. Is there any best time to go?

Killer Skinheads more like. Best come when it's dark;)

Yes. April. Still snow on the hills but often quite fair then.

There's a lot to see and do. I favour the seat around Glencoe area.

Here's a series I did one weekend over several outings.

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-scotland-glencoe-area/

Autumn is an obvious choice but within say the last two weeks of October and first week of November you might only get a handful of ok days and the fog rather spoils the view.

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/autumn-landscape-photography-scotland/

Spring times good. Rannoch Moor and Glencoe are great then. Skye's worth a punt as is the extreme north.

If you're here to sight see 10days will do it all. If you're here for photography you'll need to pick off an area at a time over a series of trips.

Last edited:
none of the Photos in my view are that good
This kind of comment put me off posting when I first joined a few years ago, as I really like several of the OPs photos. Maybe I should go back to Facebook

This kind of comment put me off posting when I first joined a few years ago, as I really like several of the OPs photos. Maybe I should go back to Facebook
The thing is, that is just his view.
It doesn't make the viewpoint right.

You are entitled to your own opinions (they just might not be right though :) )

Back