Some Shots from Biggin Hill

Name
Mike Picciotto
Edit My Images
No
Was there yesterday in the Grandstand. Really worth it, but steaming hot all day. Here are a few attempts:

Vulcan with Bomb bay open
114368349.jpg

Red Arrows
114368314.jpg

114368316.jpg

114368327.jpg

114368341.jpg

Red Bull Matadors
114368269.jpg

Apache
114368289.jpg

Gallery at
http://www.pbase.com/luckynp/bigginhill

Cracking pics!

Looks like you had a better sky than me!

some cracking shots there (y), best one for me is the 3rd one.

Some nice shots there.
Gotta love the Apache, awesome machine.
Dean:)

Superb photos. I think the best selection of airshow pics I've seen this year.

Outstanding the cross over is the best ive ever seen to capture them exactly end to end superb

Your reactions must be as good as a fighter pilot's to time those red arrow crossovers. Brilliant.

You're all very generous, many thanks. I have to be honest though - the crossover shots are more luck than judgement. By my calculations, if the planes are doing 360 mph then they're travelling a tenth of a mile per second.

The method I used was to follow one plane and let off a high-speed burst when I thought they were getting close. It worked twice out of many shots.

Nice detail on the Vulc bomb bay. Great smoke loop in #3 for the Reds. Crossovers caught very well. Good all round set.

Ed

Never really check these types of threads, but glad I did - some fine work on display :)

My favourite is the first of the Red Arrows, good stuff!

Gary.

Great photos. I've yet to get round to sorting through mine. Usually takes me ages as I always feel I need to tweak them all. Maybe it's the way the D70 shoots a bit flat or maybe I'm just fussy. More likely I'm just not that good and need to correct them all :D

Anyway, very good. Vulcan looking great there, and some more unique Red Arrows shots there. I tend to not bother with Red Arrows as I've shot them so many times and always end up with rather boring shots of them as can never time them right. I usually go for atmospheric smoke trail shots with them instead.

Minor, minor picky point. Dust bunnies :D

I'm sure I've got loads though. Airshows are a real pain for them, especially if you change lenses as there's often a lot of dust about, especially with helicopters.

One tip though is if you have Capture NX, you can use the colorize tool quite effectively to cover up the big dust specs by colour picking the sky nearest to it and just painting a blob over the dust spec. Works quite well I find, especially with a plain blue sky.

Last edited:
Some very good arrows shots, timing the cross over shots can be tricky

Back