Some silly questions!

Name
Anna
Edit My Images
Yes
Right I have some very simple questions which, yes I could look up, but I just want simple answers!

I've been wanting to ask these questions for ages but haven't for fear of ridicule!!

1. What are camera grips for? I'm gathering battery power? But why do you need them?

2. What is BOKEH? (sorry might be spelt wrong!) is it background blur? Something to do with DOF?

3. Why use lens hoods? Some look huge! What do they do?

Think that's it for now! Sorry for the rookie questions and being thick!

1 Although having extra power is good, the main advantage is to be able to shoot in portrait orientation with it's separate shutter release.

2. It is actually the quality of the blur when something it out of focus. Not all lenses give such good results.

3. Cut out extraneous light getting into the lens from various angles to reduce lens flare.

1.) Make the camera bigger, easier to hold, puts an extra shutter button on the bottom corner so you can shoot in portrait easier, extra power and in some cases extra FPS speed.

2. Its the out of focus areas in an image and how they are rendered. Aperture blades in lenses create different effects. A rounded blade creates more circular Bokeh, which looks a lot nicer than angled bokeh.

3. To stop erroneous light hitting the edge of thelens and causing lens flare. You should always use a hood.

Thanks for your quick reply mark! I didn't know the grip had a separate shutter release, that makes sense now!!

What is lens flare?

3. Also for protection against knocks.

daizylindsay said:
Thanks for your quick reply mark! I didn't know the grip had a separate shutter release, that makes sense now!!

What is lens flare?

Crossposted with you TCR, thanks for that.

Also 4. When would you need an add on flash? Just for indoor mainly?

So for any telephoto lens a hood is definitely required then?

Sorry for all the questions!

An add on flash can be used anywhere, not just inside. Take it off camera outside for portraits, on the camera as fill in flash.. anywhere, thats the joy of them.

TCR4x4 said:
An add on flash can be used anywhere, not just inside. Take it off camera outside for portraits, on the camera as fill in flash.. anywhere, thats the joy of them.

So would you say they are a necessity? God I really need to go on a course! Thanks again for your rapid and easy to understand response!

I very rarely use flash, but I do have flashguns. They arent essential, but it depends what you shoot. I mainly do landscapes, so rarely use them, but if I did portraits I'd be using them a lot more.

mark1616 said:
Glad to help :)

I couldn't work without flash ;)

I would say don't go too crazy all at once, one step at a time, learn one thing at a time, one style, one shooting condition.... otherwise you will just blow your mind with info.

I know what you mean, I've hit a brick wall at the moment! Wish I could win the lottery! Then at least I could afford the stuff I need and a few lessons with a pro!

Although I wouldn't have even taken the plunge and bought my dslr without the help of all you guys!

You really are patient to put up with us newbies!!

On my horsey forum I must take a leaf out of your books and help some newbs!

Last edited:
LOL, I think we've all been there with seeing what is available and wanting it all at once. Learn to use what you have, find the holes in it where you can't shoot or can't easily shoot then fill that hole. I see many people who have lenses they like the idea of and then almost never use. (I've been there too so have lenses kicking around doing nothing).

You haven't got a telephoto kicking around have you!!!!! Lol - only joking!

Thanks again I really appreciate the help. I am trying to be restrained and not buy too much at once, tbh my oh is not too chuffed about me buying the camera let alone lenses etc! I have lens envy everytime we see a togger!

I have s grip on my 1000D and when the batteries went on Wednesday, I had to take it off and it felt like a toy!

I think a grip will be on my wish list for the future then! Although being a bit of a bird, I think they look ugly with grips on! (ducks and runs for cover!)

Decent add on flash guns can do some pretty clever stuff when trying to get light right indoors - most camera built ins are pretty basic,

adding one on the top can sense the light and adjust itself accordingly, csans end flashes in different directions to get better lighting and reduce shadows etc.

TCR4x4 said:
1.) extra power and in some cases extra FPS speed.

How does the grip provide extra FPS?

ziggy© said:

No idea, just does. 5 fps on my d700 without, 8 fps with. Because if the bigger battery I guess.

The FPS situation with the D700 has always interested me as pretty much everyone else (since film) has had the same amount of FPS with or without a battery grip, this makes me think it is a profit thing to get people to order the grip as an extra. Could just be me being cynical LOL.

Same deal with the D300 iirc, but I think that starts off with 6 FPS without grip??

ziggy©;3891167 said:

It doesn't unless it's using more powerful batteries. Tom's D700 will only do more fps if the grip is using the beefier EN-EL4/EN-EL4a battery. If it uses the standard EN-EL3e the camera won't be any faster than it is without a grip.

It's the rating of the battery that counts:

EN-EL4a = 2500 mAh
EN-EL3e = 1500 mAh​

It doesn't unless it's using more powerful batteries. Tom's D700 will only do more fps if the grip is using the beefier EN-EL4/EN-EL4a battery. If it uses the standard EN-EL3e the camera won't be any faster than it is without a grip.

It's the rating of the battery that counts:

EN-EL4a = 2500 mAh
EN-EL3e = 1500 mAh​

It also achieves 8fps with 8AA batteries in the grip.

Additionally there is a hack to get the higher frame rate without a grip by turning off lts of settings in the menus.

Grip: It's also hangover from film SLRs where you'd have a motor in it to wind the film on instead of manually cranking it. Film SLRs were usually all flat fronted so there was no built in grip at all, thus it was a welcome addition by many. (I prefer life without, whether film or digital)

You use flash when the ambient lighting isn't doing what you want. I.E. not enough of it indoors or outdoors to fill a shadowed area add extra directional illumination etc.

[ ..]

2. Bokeh - quicker than saying Depth of Field ?

[..]

No, Bokeh is a (qualitative) measure of the quality of the out-of-focus parts of an image, whereas depth of focus is the distance between the nearest and farthest objects in a scene that appear acceptably sharp in an image.

Anthony.

Note to the OP
The only silly question is the one you didn’t ask and has cost you a great shot

And we have all been there

paulminus273 said:
Note to the OP
The only silly question is the one you didn’t ask and has cost you a great shot

And we have all been there

I don't know what you mean?

Even if you think a question is silly ask anyway
If you don’t ask sods law says a great shot will come up that if you had not asked the “silly” question you would miss the chance, so it is silly not to ask however “silly” you may think the question is

He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes, he who stays silent may remain a fool forever ;)

In a previous position, it was my job to act "the fool". I was in incident management for a big IT company and when the proverbial hit the fan we'd have these big meetings with all the head techies lining up to give possible explanations/solutions.

With the most respect in the World, sometimes techies do get a little blinkered in their approach and just focus on their piece of the puzzle.

It was kinda my job to just act as a layman and offer non-technical "what ifs", "could this work" etc type questions.

Whilst 99.9% of what I suggested never got used, it'd often start a larger debate and new solutions would come about so by asking what seem like silly questions, new ideas were formulated :)

Back