Some Video To Be On TV

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had a researcher from a well known BBC program asking if they can use some of my footage in an upcoming special....
:D :D :D :D

Well done, Mat. You must be pleased. If it is used give us a heads up.

Dave

Will do guys....

They immediately said they can't/won't be able to offer anything financially. TI'm not sure if that's BS or what.

Standard line I think to get away with it.

BBC broke? Not a chance.

Top newsreader's had his salary reduced. Ask for the remainder.

Will do guys....

They immediately said they can't/won't be able to offer anything financially. TI'm not sure if that's BS or what.

Strange, magazines give some of my family members £75+ to use a single photo. Often over £100

I understand that is their standard line. Relying on the 'kudos' of being approached by the Beeb. If they want the footage badly enough they will pay for it (this info from an insider - not me ;)).

If you have something that's unavailable elsewhere, then naming a price (start high?) might test how much they want it. Of course they try it on to start with. I think they count on people being flattered to be asked, and maybe hungry for what they might see as kudos for the footage (even for what after editing might be mere seconds of it) being used. Up to you, mate! But it's not a charity.

According to recent newspaper reports, how much do they pay some of their presenters? But you say they want to broadcast your work for no fee at all? :confused:

Last edited:
Honestly, what's it worth to you? I don't know your background or what it is they want but many people would be happy to have their footage shown on TV even without payment if they get some credit for it..... look that's my name or footage on TV, and judging by the number of smileys on the OP he seemed quite chuffed.

And it may be a foot in the door for other work or whatever.

So I do find it funny when people automatically think the only important thing is the money.

Last edited:
You're looking at it from the wrong way around. It's not so much getting the money in your pocket, it's ensuring that the (rather well off) media company respects and values your work to the extent that they are prepared to put their hand in their pocket.

If they aren't prepared to pay for a piece of work, then they don't rate it and are just on a generic scrounge.

How proud would you be of that?

Honestly, what's it worth to you? I don't know your background or what it is they want but many people would be happy to have their footage shown on TV even without payment if they get some credit for it..... look that's my name or footage on TV, and judging by the number of smileys on the OP he seemed quite chuffed.

So I do find it funny when people automatically think the only important thing is the money.

Getting your foot in the door for what? More free work or whatever? The kudos of being on their sucker list?

Most people in the UK pay a TV licence. We don’t have the budget is b******t.

It should also be borne in mind that a goodly number of the BBC's programmes (even some of the well known ones) are produced for them by independent production companies who charge for the works involved. Check out right at the end of the credits of the programmes.

You're looking at it from the wrong way around. It's not so much getting the money in your pocket, it's ensuring that the (rather well off) media company respects and values your work to the extent that they are prepared to put their hand in their pocket.

If they aren't prepared to pay for a piece of work, then they don't rate it and are just on a generic scrounge.

How proud would you be of that?

How proud of what, that my work has been recognised as worthy of being shown on TV? yeah I'd be pretty proud. Like I said not everyone needs money as a token of respect.

Getting your foot in the door for what? More free work or whatever? The kudos of being on their sucker list?

Most people in the UK pay a TV licence. We don’t have the budget is b******t.

You obviously have an issue with companies, and again think that the only important thing is the money. If they offered him £100 for it you would probably say it's worth a £1000, or a £1000 should be £10000 etc.

I have issues with companies if they steal your work, use it without permission etc. They haven't they've contacted him and asked. He is in a position where he can say no.

I've had a look at the OP's youtube channel and it is amateur footage and has 143 subscribers (no offence OP hope you know what I mean).. his footage on TV, his name or maybe a link to his youtube in that credits may mean more to him than a few £'s especially if he set out to do it for the enjoyment and not as a way of making money.

Why don't we let the OP answer the question of whether the only important thing is appreciation by money. I think the question will be answered anyway if/when it is shown.

I'll be honest, money would be nice. But at the same time, I'm flattered that they are even considering using my footage. So I have yet to make up my mind (I'll have a good think over the weekend)

I get both sides of the story, and so far, I'm surprised no-one has gone off saying that I should charge otherwise it doesn't help other creators out there. At the same time, I've never done my videos for money. I enjoy making them. Sure, adsense is switched on, but in 18 months, I've "made" about £52 - not enough to even get a cheque yet (£60 minimum), plus my channel will be demonitised on Tuesday.

I'll be honest, money would be nice. But at the same time, I'm flattered that they are even considering using my footage. So I have yet to make up my mind (I'll have a good think over the weekend)

I get both sides of the story, and so far, I'm surprised no-one has gone off saying that I should charge otherwise it doesn't help other creators out there. At the same time, I've never done my videos for money. I enjoy making them. Sure, adsense is switched on, but in 18 months, I've "made" about £52 - not enough to even get a cheque yet (£60 minimum), plus my channel will be demonitised on Tuesday.
I had a website many years ago, that I had adsense on. I never made the minimum, and it ended up costing too much to run. If the BBC asked to use some of my content, I would have certainly asked for payment. No point in running a website, and not making any money. Or at the very least, help with running costs.

Last edited:
If it was me that had been asked l would not let them use it for nothing but would only charge £10 in order to say the Beeb has finally paid me for a change. If they refused I would get more satisfaction in saying no.

I had a front page photo once in a local rag and I just asked them for their standard rates for using the shot - they wanted full copyright to use it online and in their other publications. I think it was £60 or something like that - I suppose it would be about £100 now given inflation.

I'd ask to see their standard rates and tell them you're happy to given them full copyright control of your footage. I think they're trying it on TBH and if you say no they might move onto the next guy.......

What was the show BTW?

No. Don't do that. Ever.

If it's content that has a shelf life then why not? If you've done and are happy with what you get at that time, basing how likely the content might be shown in the future then again, why not?

Granted, if the material is considered valuable and has potential future value then of course an agreement needs to considered but I doubt the TV production company will even credit for the use of the material in a way that is visible to many, maybe quickly in rolling credits but who watches them? - So all you get is bragging rights to people that know and self satisfaction that your material is being shown to a wider audience then you might have had before.

I personally don't care if the media use my shot in the future - I've had by benefit out of it, was credited for the shot, had many people see the image that would never had before and I have plenty of the papers for my kids to see in the future - plus I can always say I've had a front page shot!!!

I have a mate in media and he does this for a living and gets paid for it - once he's done his job then the content doesn't belong to him anymore regardless of his style, technique or trained eye. He not an 'artist' he's a cameraman. Get the shot, get paid, move onto the next project.

Just my opinion of course - others may quite rightly feel more attached to their work and don't want someone else taking control of it - others just do what's asked for money and don't sweat it.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm not sure that you really understand how copyright works and being a contract cameraman is a world away from creating your own footage and licensing it.

Hmmm. I'm not sure that you really understand how copyright works and being a contract cameraman is a world away from creating your own footage and licensing it.

You don’t just licence you can sell your copyright if you choose or agree many terms in between. It’s up to the copyright holder how they wish to proceed and to create the agreement with which to use their material. All I said was save yourself the hassle, get the fee, let the production company crack on and do what they want with it - move onto the next project.

It’s entirely up to the OP what he choses to do with what he has but we don’t know the material or the TV show and it’s intended usage. It might be a critical masterpiece, it might be some b-roll, we don’t know.

I’d love to know more though.

It'll just be some B Roll.... The program is, a religious singing program ;) and the footage is simple a few shots of the Peak District. Nothing special at all - no real subject in the footage or anything. I can't imagine them using it in any other way than B Roll....

Although, that said, I've been thinking for a few months now (and this may encourage me to follow this up), but is it worth going out there (into the big wide world) and just start filming "random" things and upload to these stock video sites?

Although, that said, I've been thinking for a few months now (and this may encourage me to follow this up), but is it worth going out there (into the big wide world) and just start filming "random" things and upload to these stock video sites?

Not if you give it away for free :D

It's just like photos, they might suddenly desperately need a filler external shot of a location if there's breaking news.
But there's no way to know in advance. However some subjects come up all the time like Hospitals, Police stations or busy roads/congestion.
Watch what they use while talking, especially on local TV news bulletins

It's just like photos, they might suddenly desperately need a filler external shot of a location if there's breaking news.
But there's no way to know in advance. However some subjects come up all the time like Hospitals, Police stations or busy roads/congestion.
Watch what they use while talking, especially on local TV news bulletins

As above, I'd think it's be a bit hit and miss really.

You could decide to be the 'go to' guy for religious footage or the peaks or something that you enjoy doing but I'd think that the production companies and the BBC have plenty of archive footage they can call up in the edit. Anything specific I'd think the cameraman would capture it on the day plus broadcast has a limited amount of accepted cameras they'll use with a small percentage of low-grade footage being allowed.

It is never a foot in the door. The only thing that will come of an approach like this is they will come back for more for free.

Back