Beginner Something Wide?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning All,

Newbie here to the forum although been photographing for a while now, no doubt this a topic that's been discussed a fair bit?

After something wide, mainly for landscapes, Nikon fit.

Needs to have the autofocus motor built in as my 5100 doesn't have an onboard motor.

Are the two options really only

The Sigma 10-20mm or the Tokina 11-16?

Anything else I should consider at this entry level sort of price point?

Any comments/ criticisms of either lens?

Thanks

You are almost spoilt for choice really ... Nikon 10-24mm, Nikon 12-24mm, Tokina 11-16mm, Tokina 12-24, Tokina 11-20mm, Tokina 12-28mm, Sigma 10-20mm (2 versions I think), Sigma 8-16mm - and there may be others. Of these I've used both Nikons and the Tokina 11-16. The Tokina is probably the best value and @f2.8 offers options but my preference was the Nikon 12-24 mainly due to the range it covered. Make sure to get the MkII version of the Tokina as the Mk1 doesn't have a motor.

Ah, thanks for that!

Plenty to choose from then - time to start doing some reading I think!

Tokina 11-20 f2.8 is now out. Razor sharp and same price as the 11-16. No brainer. Built like a tank. Saving to buy one myself

Tokina 11-20 f2.8 is now out. Razor sharp and same price as the 11-16. No brainer. Built like a tank. Saving to buy one myself
Hi - can you divulge where you've found the 11-20 for the same price as the 11-16, please?

slightly crashing the thread, sorry BUT also for Nikon DX, is there anything ultra wide and prime that is affordable or is everything in this category zoom?

Samyang do a 14mm prime, and a 10mm I think. They also do an 8mm, but I think it's fisheye.

Would I be right in thinking that the Tokina 11-16 seems to be the favoured one in this sort of range?

Also helped by it's price point?

The tokina is very well regarded. Just be sure you really need something that wide as actually shooting a decent landscape will require careful use and composition super wide isn't necessarily a good thing!

I've owned numerous UWA lenses for FX and DX try and nip into a dealer if you have one near by and try them on your camera.
At least that way you will get a good idea of the ultra wide view you will get and decide if it's going to be the type of lens you need and will get use from :)

I had the same query earlier in the year and ended up with the Tokina 11-16 mk2. It's a great lens and haven't regretted buying it at all.

Keep an eye on 2nd hand dealers' sites and see what crops up.

I've a Sigma 10-20mm UWA and it works a treat for me - i've been able to get shots of interiors for my mate whose a joiner very well, I'd certainly recommend one...

Last edited:
Back