Son Loves taking photos

Name
Renee
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so I have had family here for the last few weeks (they are finally gone). Anyway my aunt showed my son (Keegan) how to advance the film on a disposable. He then went though her bag and found one of her extras and took and entire camera's worth. Everytime I'm out taking photos he wants to take some and with a compact he will even line the shot up in the screen. Now he is only 2 1/2 but I just found a camera with 4mp that is specifically designed for young children with big handhold and large button on top. I'm finally getting around to my point. Do you think he's too young or should we get it for him and let him have fun? Did anyone else start taking photos really young?? He seems to absolutely love it but I don't want to push it as it is my passion and I don't want to seem like I'm forcing the issue. Any advice would be great!

Renee

I bought my 6 year old a cheap 4mp Kodak and he loves it. My 3 year old loves his plastic toy camera but I don't think would be able to grasp the concept of photography. Maybe your son's a genius though...

I would say buy the camera for him and leave him to play with it, dont push him to it, dont be negative about any of his pictures (as long as its digital it wont cost anything) and let him loose !

Let him treat it as a toy, i believe the one you are talking about is quite rugged too, and if he gains an interest from it, and keeps it up thats a bonus ! :)

He's no genius. He is good about not cutting off heads of people and animals though. He mostly like to just walk around and take pictures as he walks. It does give you an interesting view of the world from a shorter perspective! I have many pictures of door knobs and knees.

OHH I just noticed I'm now quite chatty! I'm moving up in the world.

Thats a brilliant idea, and for that price you can't go wrong.

Might even get one of those for Sue's cousin's daughter for Christmas - she'd love that.

Except I misread the thing and it is only .3mp.... Now I'm rethinking and might find a cheap regular camera.... This camera got horrible reviews on Amazon. Hrmph! Any ideas out there??

thanks for that link! I think £40 to £50 is the right price bracket.

I think it's a great idea.

I let my 7yo go round the house every now and then with my 30 on Auto. I've showed her how to zoom with the kit lens on, and the half pressing for focus, and the flash etc, and she loves it. Keeps her occupied for a while.

When we go out for a family walk or something, and I'm taking photos, she sometimes brings her 35mm compact along. One we got her when she was in nursery, with a matching photo album. It's only a cheap camera, but it takes pics and she loves it :)

Our 2yo is taking to her camera too, loves to take the photos himself, squinting to look through the viewfinder.

If they ever dont want to then we wouldn't force the issue, but if she wants to and enjoys it then I say encourage it!

If they are showing an interest, then go for it, when you think how much toys for kids cost, buying a cheap and simple camera is probably a very small cost that will no doubt keep their attention for longer, and hopefully could be the beginning of a passion.

So long as they enjoy it I think its a great idea (y)

Our 2yo is taking to her camera too, loves to take the photos himself
Poor Harvey, make your mind up about what he is :p

Back