Song intros for phone ringtones

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I feel the need to change my ringtone. Currently it's the intro to 'Sweet Child O Mine' by Guns N Roses. Great, melodic riff, but I'm just getting a bit bored with it.

So I'm looking for something else. I want it to be another song intro, it needs to be instrumental for at least 15-20 seconds, and ideally it can be looped to repeat. I thought of the intro to 'Smoke On The Water' by Deep Purple, or 'Back In Black', by AC/DC. Both great, memorable intros, but they're not particularly melodic.

So any suggestions? Obviously my musical taste is biased towards rock, from prog through to heavy metal. But I'm open to suggestions. What would you use? What do you use?

At one time I had Fleetwood Mac - The chain as my ringtone, the portion formerly used as F1 music.

And for my mother in law I have the star wars imperial march. :D

Journey to the sorcerer by the Eagles.. otherwise known as the theme to Hitch Hikers guide :)

I use the ring tones in the phone as I can't be arsed to find any. I did used to have the theme tune to Wallace and Gromit on my home answer machine but I got fed up of listening to messages with just giggling. I may relent one day.

For a while I had the intro from Iron Maiden's Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, but as usual went back to my signature tune

Tijuana Taxi by Herb Alpert is very different and always makes people smile

Last edited:
I have YYZ by Rush and Lights Out by UFO on mine.

If you record yourself breaking wind and use that (works better as a text alert) there are no copyright issues and the "ring"-(see what I did there?) tone is unique.

Top Gun theme for me.
Previous tones have included Stayin' Alive (BeeGees) and Dancing Queen (Abba)

Hell's Bells is mine. Starts off relatively discretely and I usually manage to answer it before it gets too raucous. IIRC, I got it via an app for my Windows phone (oddly enough, the app's called ACDC ringtones! Might be available for other platforms.)

Until I changed my phone I had the original recording of the Dr Who theme music by Delia Derbyshire, and the tardis de-materialising sound for a text message. Need to dig out my BBC radiophonic workshop CD and transfer them to the new phone!

This might be considered unusual but the opening bars in the overture to 'Tosca' by Puccini actually work well and certainly are different ....

Anthony.

Reactions: Sky
Currently have "lullaby" by the Cure but had my "iron lung" by Radiohead( happy soul, me) for a good while.
I have "female of the species" by Space for the missus.
If you clip the really quiet start, "burn baby burn" by Ash is a cracking riff or "plug in baby" by Muse.
I find the important thing is to get the tone/pitch you find easiest to hear, I've used a couple of tracks that I loved but couldn't hear well as a ring tone.

I've always thought the opening bars of Iron Maiden's "Paschendale" would work well, but have never got around to snipping them. Job for tomorrow. :)

On my last phone I used the spoken intro to All my Best Friends are Metalheads by Less than Jake, and before that it was the intro to Burn Baby Burn by Ash.

Currently I have a little snip of Rick Barrio Dill from Vintage trouble demoing an overdrive pedal on Bass...

View: https://youtu.be/ThMUIw9M6PY

Last edited by a moderator:
iv'e always set mine up to have different ringtones for different people in my address book, the biggest problem is remembering which ringtone i assigned to who :(

i tend to cut riffs out of different tunes which makes the ringtones pretty unique, mainly out of trance tracks

the one i use for unknown calls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . one for the wife . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . one of the daughters

Vocaroo_QR_Code_s1bgTINVzzOD.png
. . . . . . . .
Vocaroo_QR_Code_s0GBB58iifbB.png
. . . .
Vocaroo_QR_Code_s0bxlfFaiT1v.png

there's quite a few but you get the idea :)

use code scanner on your smart phone to listen

My phone rings.
Any visitors with annoying music tones quickly resort to "silent" in house :D

The Butler ringtone I think it's called, for obvious reasons.

The Butler ringtone I think it's called, for obvious reasons.
Ah Ok I never knew what it was called, but it makes sense :)

Best one I ever heard (In a posh English voice)

"Excuse me sir, someone is trying to reach you telephonic-ally, shall I tell them to f*** orf?"

Some years ago, I read Mrs Nod's phone's manual and sussed how to record ringtones so set hers up to be me shouting "Oi! Mrs Nod! Pick up your f****** phone!" (Or similar.)

last tune I bothered with for a ringtone was the 'heavy' bit from Elbow's Grounds For Divorce

In the past I've used Layla by Eric Clapton, Baba O'Reilly by The Who and the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly by Ennio Morricone.
My current one is this blast from the past

Although one of my favourite non-musical ones was Richard Burton's "Broadsword calling Danny Boy" line from Where Eagles Dare.

Yes the intro to Baba O'Reilly is great. I recently decided to use it but haven't yet worked out how to extract it.

Ian, search the store in your phone for a ringtone creator/generator/similar and I'm sure there'll be a few free apps available to extract a ringtone from any MP3 you choose.

Thanks. I'd only thought about doing it the PC. I was thinking about how to do it from the streaming version, but thinking about it I have the mp3 version, which is probably easier.

Last edited:
Have used so many different ring tones over the years, but I always end up going back to the Happy Mondays -Step On....Just think the intro is great for a ringtone.

View: https://youtu.be/2CQLAhNlbfQ

Stewart, it sounds like you want Purple Haze. :)

Thinking about it, the intro to Wishbone Ash's Warrior would be great, ditto Throw Down The Sword. Thin Lizzie's Cold Sweat could also work well for people you knew but didn't want to speak to. I don't use a musical ringtone because I like a phone to sound somewhat like a phone when it's ringing, but if I did then I might use Eric Clapton's Steppin' Out.

Back