Sony 8mm camcorder from the 1990s

Edit My Images
No
Just thought I'd post this as there is a very remote chance that someone can help me out or suggest a way forward.
I have an old Sony camcorder from the '90s. Outwardly, it looks as though it's never been used - similarly the internals/tape mechanisms look mint.
Problem is that it's now stopped working. It appears to record but when you try to playback anything (including previously recorded tapes which defitely have something on them) - it does 't work.. You see nothing but a grey screen through the viewfinder (this machine is so old that it doesn't have a flippy-out screen), and nothing is shown if you connect up to an external monitor/TV.
It's been suggested by a couple of camera shops that it is likely to be a circuit board which has failed but spares are almost impossible to come by. Hence, not even worthwhile putting it in for repair and incurring the up front inspection charge of £30-35.
There must be just a slim chance that other forum members have gone through a similar exercise and perhaps come up with a solution which doesn't involve binning the equipment (which is a Sony CCD-TR105).
Thanks for any thoughts.

camcorder from the '90s. Outwardly, it looks as though it's never been used - similarly the internals/tape mechanisms look mint.
Problem is that it's now stopped working. It appears to record but when you try to playback anything (including previously recorded tapes which defitely have something on them) - it does 't work.. ...

I have a Panasonic Camcorder that I bought in the 90s. It stopped working a little while ago and I thought it was knackered, as it no longer showed anything on the LCD screen. I discovered recordings can be viewed through eyepiece, as it was simply the LCD flex cable had broken. I would not bother to pay for any replacement parts, as second-hand camcorders are so cheap now.

Sorry, I can't offer any useful help.

I have a Panasonic Camcorder that I bought in the 90s. It stopped working a little while ago and I thought it was knackered, as it no longer showed anything on the LCD screen. I discovered recordings can be viewed through eyepiece, as it was simply the LCD flex cable had broken. I would not bother to pay for any replacement parts, as second-hand camcorders are so cheap now.

Sorry, I can't offer any useful help.
Thanks for the reply. I take your point about replacement parts but am now very wary about purchasing another camcorder which could be 20 or so years old for fear it too will simply give up and stop working. If I could pick up one from a high street camera shop with a 3/6 month guarantee then I might well go for it, but simply can't find anything!

Thanks for the reply. I take your point about replacement parts but am now very wary about purchasing another camcorder which could be 20 or so years old for fear it too will simply give up and stop working. If I could pick up one from a high street camera shop with a 3/6 month guarantee then I might well go for it, but simply can't find anything!
Can't see many camera shops selling old Camcorders that use tape, might be better off trying a cash converter/generator type shop. I still have many hours of MiniDv footage to be saved to PC. Just had a look on ebay and lots of MiniDV tape camcorders for sale. Varying prices from £24 to £100 at buy it now prices, most listings state"good working order". Might be worth trying to pick one up there, risky but not many options out there.

Just noted the 8mm bit, so is yours the Sony Hi8 tape Camcorder? If so, I have spotted loads of Hi8 Camcorders for sale on ebay, lots under £50 and described as "good working order". Might be worth having a nose.

Just noted the 8mm bit, so is yours the Sony Hi8 tape Camcorder? If so, I have spotted loads of Hi8 Camcorders for sale on ebay, lots under £50 and described as "good working order". Might be worth having a nose.
This, surely the main purpose is only to play the old tapes?
The tapes could be degrading pretty bad, after even ten years I've found sound a particular problem so waste no time transferring anything you want to keep to DVD or something.
We had a similar Sony which (*gasp*) even has a USB outlet but could never make anything of it, would've be nice to try now with a bit more knowledge, but in any case the best bits are on DVD by recording directly over.

This, surely the main purpose is only to play the old tapes?
The tapes could be degrading pretty bad, after even ten years I've found sound a particular problem so waste no time transferring anything you want to keep to DVD or something.
We had a similar Sony which (*gasp*) even has a USB outlet but could never make anything of it, would've be nice to try now with a bit more knowledge, but in any case the best bits are on DVD by recording directly over.
I am not too sure if the OP wants to simply save/transfer video tape content to PC, or he wants to simply continue using it as a recorder. My old camcorder is pretty reasonable quality, but not sure how long it will last. Plus it is a pain to transfer video via firewire port, it takes ages. Besides, my DSLR does pretty good video anyway. I did have some recorded stuff that has drop outs, not sure if tape is damaged or a dirty head. Going to set aside a day, to save all my old video content and will probably not use the Camcorder ever again.

Hi jonbeeza & 4wd. Many thanks for your replies. Yes, it's simply a case of using the camcorder as a way of playing old tapes on a TV screen and then move the content to DVD. I have no intention of using the kit for recording! I'm not having a lot of luck. I have recently tried to buy three of these old camcorders. For one reason or another (all outside my control), none of these potential purchases has been successful. I am now very reluctant to invest further cash/time unless I can get some sort of guarantee. What I really want is to find a photographic type shop that has an old 8mm machine for sale and would give me a guarantee of at least a month so that I could have time to transfer the content. It's not surprising that I haven't yet found one! Have also looked round several charity shops, again no joy. At the end of the day, we'll probably have to bite the bullet and send the tapes off for conversion at a cost of around £100.

Back