Beginner Sony a6300 or Lumix GX8?

Name
Alkim
Edit My Images
Yes
The only thing that I like more about the lumix is that it would allow me to face the display towards myself, which is a nifty thing to be able to do. But overall I think I like the sony better. Any thoughts on this, and similar cameras in the same price range and quality would be appreciated :)

I know what the basic differences are, but don't own either so won't comment.

Except to say ... I personally, wouldn't buy a camera without a tilting screen.

Might be a good idea to Google GX8 and Shutter Shock, sorted in the G80, GX9 and GX80

I used a Sony A6000 for a number of years, a few months ago I changed to micro 4/3rds and I have a GX8.

The Sony A6300 is an improved version of the A6000 I had but certainly close enough for me to have views on this.

They are both excellent cameras and capable of great image quality especially when used with top quality lens.

You will only see an IQ advantage with the larger sensored Sony at high iso . . . say iso3200 ?

The big advantage I see with the GX8 and the prime reason I changed systems is the range, quality and price of the lens available for each system.

Pair the Sony with the Zeiss 24mm f1.7 (E mount) and the pairing is capable of capturing superb images, however the Zeiss 24mm is approx £800.00 new. I have shot many thousands of images with this combo, and I miss it.

There are other excellent lenses for the Sony A6000/6300 but they are not abundant, will probably cost more then the equivalent m4/3rds lens and in most cases will make your 'payload' bigger and heavier.

Yes there are some small lens available for the A6300, I'm thinking of the 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 (kit lens) the 16mm f2.8, the 55-210mm f4.5-6.3. I have owned and used them all, they are 'consumer grade' and will keep many users happy with their quality. However the A6000/A6300 are worthy of much better glass.

The range of lens available for the GX8 (and all m4/3rds cameras) is awesome. Not just from Panasonic but Olympus and Sigma and Samyang etc.

The 'kit lens' options are really tiny and lightweight i.e the Panasonic 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 and the 35-100mm f4-5.6. The quality of this pair of lens is a fair bit higher than the aforementioned Sony options. My opinion, yes but many others concur.

Prepared to spend more for higher quality ? the professional grade Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8 are top quality, much smaller/lighter than apsc, not cheap but these lens are far easier to find used than the Sony equivalent.

There are many top quality really small lens for the GX8. I own the Pan 20mm f1.7 pancake, the 30mm Pan Leica f1.7 and the Pan 42.5mm f1.7, Again super quality, very small and lightweight.

I do not understand the science but it is well documented that it is easier to design top quality glass for the m4/3rds system than the larger sensored cameras.

Remember the GX8 has internal 'anti-shake' so can be used with all Olympus and Sigma lens which do not have onboard lens 'anti-shake'

The GX8 is built like a tank, is weather sealed and has the superb oled evf that not even the latest GX9 has.

I sure you would be happy with either the A6000/6300 or the GX8, I know I was.

Happy shopping.

p.s GX8 'Shutter shock' often talked about, I have never seen it and many other reviewers haven't either.

Last edited:
p.s GX8 'Shutter shock' often talked about, I have never seen it and many other reviewers haven't either.

I saw it with my G7 and GX7 but not with all lenses. With susceptible lenses I could easily and reliably demonstrate the problem.

To see this issue you need to use an affected camera with a susceptible lens and you need to be using the mechanical shutter in the affected shutter speed range, something like 1/80 to 1/250 sec. It is a real issue if you use affected bodies with susceptible lenses but knowing what lenses are susceptible isn't easy. I never would have expected my Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 to be susceptible but it was and pictures taken with that lens on affected bodies clearly demonstrated the issue.

The killer for me was that although using the electronic shutter avoids the issue, I wasn't bothered about rolling shutter effects, under flickering artificial lighting banding is possible and switching to the mechanical shutter to avoid the banding could induce shutter shock as I'd be smack in the affected shutter speed range. Therefore shooting under some artificial lighting rendered some camera and lens combination pretty useless.

I eventually I just gave up, sold the affected bodies and moved on. I'd now only recommend affected bodies to people who are aware of the issue and go into this with their eyes well and truly open.

Last edited:
Hey guys

Re the above mentioned GX80 (not the G80, not the GX8) and shutter shock .... can be prevented by using electronic as opposed to mechanical shutter.

In what circumstances would you suggest using electronic to prevent shutter shock?

I was under the impression the GX80 electronic shutter was designed to be used in situations where shutter noise was frowned upon, or when it might frighten the horses!

Hey guys

Re the above mentioned GX80 (not the G80, not the GX8) and shutter shock .... can be prevented by using electronic as opposed to mechanical shutter.

In what circumstances would you suggest using electronic to prevent shutter shock?

I was under the impression the GX80 electronic shutter was designed to be used in situations where shutter noise was frowned upon, or when it might frighten the horses!

GX80 has been redesigned so that it eliminates 95% of shutter shock, so use whatever you feel is appropriate

Just to add... I've not had any problems with the electronic shutter other than banding under some lighting, rolling shutter effects haven't bothered me. Watch out though for any shutter speed restrictions with the electronic shutter as AFAIK it limits longer speeds.

I've not had any shutter shock issues with either my GX80 or GX9, both of which are IMO excellent cameras but with by todays standards mediocre EVF's. I think the GX80 is a bargain for what it is.

Except to say ... I personally, wouldn't buy a camera without a tilting screen.

This for sure. I use it all the time now especially for family photos and getting low for my children and dog. Also handy for getting higher shots above people's heads etc. For video, especially if on the move, it's invaluable for those low tracking shots.

A great feature of the A6xxx series is the auto eye focus. Quite scary how accurate it is. It works best for static subjects but saves a lot of time having to adjust focal points etc especially if using 1.4 aperture.

Last edited:
The Panasonics have face detect which seems to work reasonably well for me.

Just to add... I've not had any problems with the electronic shutter other than banding under some lighting, rolling shutter effects haven't bothered me. Watch out though for any shutter speed restrictions with the electronic shutter as AFAIK it limits longer speeds.

This is true .... as I found HERE

This for sure. I use it all the time now especially for family photos and getting low for my children and dog. Also handy for getting higher shots above people's heads etc. For video, especially if on the move, it's invaluable for those low tracking shots.
My default camera holding mode is old box brownie style. ;)

Back