Sony A7 III & Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN Art Sony E Mount

Name
Saurav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I am not a professional but I do love taking a lot of photos with my D7000 and Nikon 17-55mm. I am now looking to upgrade with a budget of aorund £2,500-£3,000 to something from which I will not have to upgrade for many years.

I was thinking of Sony A7 III & Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN Art Sony E Mount

Anyone have any feedback on if the above is a good combination, and any alternative suggestions?

Overall, it will be a travel body & lens, for me to take on holidays. But I also want to use it to take photos of my wife who is now pregnant, and eventually our newborn next year. So I do want something sharp and of excellent quality for these photos.

Thanks for your help.

firstly congrats on the child.

its a great camera and lens for general use and I imagine for your use cases too. A very sharp lens that's compact too for its class (for a f2.8 zoom) and also very reasonably priced.
you won't regret it.

Only person I know on this forum with that combination is @Raymond Lin. And he is a professional, he may have better ideas for your particular use case.

Last edited:
It's a good lens, as good as my old Canon 24-70L I'd say. It's not small and the only thing I dislike about it is the lens doesn't zoom inside the hood, but like all the current 24-70 out there right now, it's all the same so it's not a negative as such, just the current 24-70 designs.

I took it to Japan and Korea this year, it was my ONLY lens for the trip and it fare very well.

chcUHwy.jpg

3MZ66HV.jpg

7KIMORT.jpg

n7hqb1b.jpg

5qyxYiB.jpg

5HShkDm.jpg

yRQX0ED.jpg

GzZErUI.jpg

A7iii + 24-105 f/4 is a cracking combination, the high ISO performance of the camera is fantastic, IBIS + OSS, perfect travel set up.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will be purchasing the A7 III later this week, however I will think over the lens and decide.

If your budget is limited give the tamron 28-75 2.8 a look. It's far cheaper but its comes at a cost in 2 areas IMO. The build quality isn't quite as good as the sigma or Gmaster from Sony but it is light and portable. The zoom range is bit mental unless you pair it up with the 17-28 2.8 or the 70-180 2.8 then it makes sense, this is the sacrifice they made for supreme optics at a great price. I couldn't see any discernible different in image quality on my A7Riii from all three lenses without zooming in massively to the edges on a 42MP image.

For perspective as I try to buy the best I can, I own the 16-35GM 2.8 and the 100-400GM, it would have been easy for me to add the 24-70 GM from Sony or Sigma's offering but I went with the Tamron as I found the optical quality was on par and its the lens range I use the lease.

Just some more food for thought.

Edit: given your propensity for travel as you mentioned (When COVID is over hopefully) give a small look at the Tamron 28-200mm F/2.8-5.6 Di III RXD. Probably cheaper than the sigma and gives you the whole travel package range for the first E-mount Lens.

Last edited:
If you have the money and want a set up that you won’t get GAS upgradits and wonder “what if”, get the 2.8 and live happily ever after. That’s my take on it, sure the ISO on the Sony you can get away with another ISO bump but the bokeh is not the same (like the ice cream shot), and if you are considering the Tamron (great choice) but you need to know how often you shot at 17mm on your Nikon, if hardly ever then you should be okay but if you almost always then you will miss it.

Let’s just say having the Sigma I don’t miss not having the 24-105 for the reach or the Sony 24-70 GM for the GM tag or the Tamron 28-75 for its size.

Back