Sony A7iii to Nikon Z6

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I prob will get some ear bashing for this.

Lastnight I was thinking wether to give the Z6 a go but after reading around the Z6 does produce some stunning images for the AF and Tracking is now here near as good.. What I like about the Z6 is the top screen it just one thing i have missed

I think all cameras are a compromise at the end of the day. Choose what's important to you and go for it.
I've gone from wall to wall Canon for best part of 15 years, to Fuji for 5 and latterly to Sony. I'll switch again I'm sure (but it's becoming more expensive each time!)

I would check expectations though. I stuck with Fuji for longer than perhaps I might have because I thought I really liked the ergonomics and dials - everything at your fingertips etc and the XH-1 (my last Fuji) was 100% perfect in that sense, but the compromise for me with Fuji was the X-TRANS, it just didn't sit well with me, and bizarrely, it was the same XH-1 that introduced be to the benefit of IBIS, which unexpectedly made a huge difference to me, and pointed me in the direction of the Sony, that and a lust for a working Eye AF.

I jumped to Sony, and actually don't miss the manual dials one jot, even don't use them on the few lenses that have them etc.

Now I'm with Sony, cleaner images, IBIS and amazing AF are the upsides, the cost and lens size are the compromise - lenses are bloody expensive, but the overall package works for me. I do miss the top display off the XH-1 as it was convenient to check battery level etc, but for me, not a huge thing.

There's also the need to scratch that itch from time to time - there's nothing wrong with starting over if that's what you want to do. New toys are fun to play with after all. That was another thing Fuji were good at, the new toys in the form of firmware updates adding in a new raft of capability. Given Sony is now doing the same and you will see a reasonable lift in AF on the A7III in a couple of months, I might be tempted to hang fire for a few months to see first though.

Lastnight I was thinking wether to give the Z6 a go but after reading around the Z6 does produce some stunning images for the AF and Tracking is now here near as good.. What I like about the Z6 is the top screen it just one thing i have missed
Whatever gave you the idea that Z6 AF is near as good as A7III? I don't think it is.

I never used the top screen since everything is on the LCD or EVF. Sounds like GAS to me, if you are moving for that ;)

If you can't get stunning images with an A73, or a Z6, or an EOS-R (or whatever) it's not the camera.

Taking the sort of financial hit you would on selling up and moving (at best) sideways for that little top-screen makes no sense.

This guy is a total wind up merchant, he posts threads like this every now and again for attention, then asks a million bizarre and silly questions over and over again.

To be fair it is funny, although possibly not in the way he intended.

Last edited:
If you hadn’t realised by every thread already the Sony fan boys will be ready to jump in and put everything down that isn’t a Sony.
I’ve recently been looking at going Mirrorless and yes the a7iii does seem to be the best on the market currently in terms of AF, and would likely be what I went for for this reason.
But now the other big brands are finally entering how long will this last... in a few years everyone might be jumping ship again.

Biggest disadvantage is I would have to sell all my gear at a fairly big loss to do so and the Sony (in general it seems the Mirrorless) lenses are expensive and limited in what’s available especially for Nikon/ cannon).

I’m interested to see what the may af update for the z6/7 improves but I’m not sure if it will match or beat the Sony ( though I’m not sure how all reviews say the video and video af is as good or better than the Sony but single image is not, especially since Nikon has always been behind in video)

This guy is a total wind up merchant, he posts threads like this every now and again for attention, then asks a million bizarre and silly questions over and over again.

Not entirely true, most of the time Andrew does buy the camera he's asking about, unlike most What Camera threads where no one ever knows what the OP decided.

@rookies step away from the camera websites and go shoot some photos, your camera is plenty good enough and you'll potentially be downgrading! :)

No he isn't. He's a decent genuine bloke and as has been said he often buys the kit. He buys kit a lot more often than I do but to be honest I can't really criticise him too much for that, life is short, you're only here once etc...

I think that's totally untrue, its more like who's asking the questions and whether they're in the clique or not :wave:

Last edited:

You wont get any flack from me as if I gave you any you could have a pop at me for buying endless numbers of 35 and 50mm lenses :D

I do think you should maybe think about this very carefully though as I think this is just gas. Maybe you could enjoy reading about the Nikon and looking at example pictures and then have a look at the results you and other people on line are getting with the kit you have now. I bet there's some nice pictures on line taken with your current kit? :D Maybe some very nice pictures that could make you think you're not getting the absolute best out of it? :D Maybe then you could be a bit happier with your kit and if you must buy something, and there's nothing wrong with a bit of gas and buying yourself something nice, go and spend a few hours researching and choosing a nice manual lens, £50 or so could get you a nice one and might ease the gas :D

Andy we all joke about GAS, and we all say not to waste your money as one camera won't give you better images than the other but as Dan Cook says if you enjoy using a camera it can inspire you to go out an take more photos. And it might not just be the gear per se, it might be just the fact it's a shiny new toy to play with that gets you out more, either way these things shouldn't be discounted imo. Sure you can see it as a 'waste of money' but life's here to enjoy, and if you enjoy chopping and changing your gear all the time and that gets you out shooting more who are we to judge? It's your money and no-one should tell you how to spend it. The only thing that I would say is don't fall into the trap of buying new gear just because you think it will get you better images, but if you're doing it because you fancy a change and it's not going to leave you in an financial difficulty then I say why not. Of course, think about it carefully first as the last thing you want to do is regret it and end up going back to Sony (y)

For the record, from my experience the AF on the Z7 is not as good as the Mark III Sony's, but unless you're shooting fast sports or BIF then it's more than good enough.

No he isn't. He's a decent genuine bloke and as has been said he often buys the kit. He buys kit a lot more often than I do but to be honest I can't really criticise him too much for that, life is short, you're only here once etc...

I think that's totally untrue, its more like who's asking the questions and whether they're in the clique or not :wave:

You obviously weren't around when he got banned from the fuji thread or for all the nonsense he posted in the D750 thread.

Andy we all joke about GAS, and we all say not to waste your money as one camera won't give you better images than the other but as Dan Cook says if you enjoy using a camera it can inspire you to go out an take more photos. And it might not just be the gear per se, it might be just the fact it's a shiny new toy to play with that gets you out more, either way these things shouldn't be discounted imo. Sure you can see it as a 'waste of money' but life's here to enjoy, and if you enjoy chopping and changing your gear all the time and that gets you out shooting more who are we to judge? It's your money and no-one should tell you how to spend it. The only thing that I would say is don't fall into the trap of buying new gear just because you think it will get you better images, but if you're doing it because you fancy a change and it's not going to leave you in an financial difficulty then I say why not. Of course, think about it carefully first as the last thing you want to do is regret it and end up going back to Sony (y)

For the record, from my experience the AF on the Z7 is not as good as the Mark III Sony's, but unless you're shooting fast sports or BIF then it's more than good enough.

Or his kid... Which he does.

Or his kid... Which he does.
Yeah true, but she poses tbh. I can't remember seeing many (or even any) of her running around tbh (y)

You obviously weren't around when he got banned from the fuji thread or for all the nonsense he posted in the D750 thread.
I was. I also spent a lot of time swapping posts and PM's in the Sony thread over a period of time. As did others.

Instead of bashing and bating why not show a little patience, understanding and empathy. Why not just take the guy at face value and if you don't want to help or engage in friendly banter... just move on...

Moving to a similar system for just a top screen seems a step too far.

What does the A73 not do that the Z6 does? They both produce stunning images.

You love your 70-200 F4, there is no native Nikon one.

For the price of Z6 and adaptor could you not pick up a grey A9?

The thread is a wind up, they're only up to Z4.

1550330247688.png

I remember your Fuji ventures, you never seem to be satisfied, and that's fine, it's your money etc ... but what exactly do you think a Z6 will offer over your Sony? You mention the top LCD, is that really it? You mention the Z6 has great IQ, it's not going to be any better than an A7III, I think all of these FFML cameras are much of a muchness, it's the lenses that separate them and I guess low light performance and noise handling. I thought the A7III was the best in this regard.

If it were specific Nikon lenses you miss or want to try I could understand, but I wouldn't go switching over a display that IMO doesn't really add much to the shooting experience.

Last edited:
I remember your Fuji ventures, you never seem to be satisfied, and that's fine, it's your money etc ... but what exactly do you think a Z6 will offer over your Sony? You mention the top LCD, is that really it? You mention the Z6 has great IQ, it's not going to be any better than an A7III, I think all of these FFML cameras are much of a muchness, it's the lenses that separate them and I guess low light performance and noise handling. I thought the A7III was the best in this regard.

If it were specific Nikon lenses you miss or want to try I could understand, but I wouldn't go switching over a display that IMO doesn't really add much to the shooting experience.

+1, hed be giving up a lot just for a top lcd.... Which doesn't offer much when there's an evf. This is gas.

+1, hed be giving up a lot just for a top lcd.... Which doesn't offer much when there's an evf. This is gas.
I think if Andy's honest he'll agree, it's GAS ;) That being said, I do find the top LCD extremely useful ;)

I think it's just that, and we can all relate, I'm constantly pondering on switching back to Fuji, or even Nikon or Canon ... though that's waned off as I no longer want any Dslr - but the Fuji lure is ever present.

I'm going to make it tougher on him though, it seems on the DR front the Nikon handles pushing underexposed files much better and is actually slightly better for higher ISO shooting - https://www.diyphotography.net/the-...-the-sony-a7iii-with-some-surprising-results/ Though on the flip-side the Sony handles over exposed files better, depends on how you prefer to shoot. Of course you could find other sites that say the opposite, but this is the first I looked at after a quick search

On the hardware side he'd be giving up dual SD slots for one XQD, and those cards be mighty pricey if you're going to buy a bunch

Last edited:
I think it's just that, and we can all relate, I'm constantly pondering on switching back to Fuji, or even Nikon or Canon ... though that's waned off as I no longer want any Dslr - but the Fuji lure is ever present.

I'm going to make it tougher on him though, it seems on the DR front the Nikon handles pushing underexposed files much better and is actually slightly better for higher ISO shooting - https://www.diyphotography.net/the-...-the-sony-a7iii-with-some-surprising-results/ Though on the flip-side the Sony handles over exposed files better, depends on how you prefer to shoot. Of course you could find other sites that say the opposite, but this is the first I looked at after a quick search

On the hardware side he'd be giving up dual SD slots for one XQD, and those cards be mighty pricey if you're going to buy a bunch

I think they are basically the same sensor, both by Sony cooked in slightly different ways. I am sure some people will prefer Nikon's RAW and noise pattern to Sony.
TBH I prefer Nikon as well in this regard but I wouldn't swap systems for it!

I think they are basically the same sensor, both by Sony cooked in slightly different ways. I am sure some people will prefer Nikon's RAW and noise pattern to Sony.
TBH I prefer Nikon as well in this regard but I wouldn't swap systems for it!

Like with any other camera, once you know the limits, you can learn to work with them. If I had the readies and was considering between these 2, the XQD card would be enough to push me to Sony, though in general I'd prefer Nikon for their lenses. I still don't get the card slot thing, they really should have added a plain SD slot too.

I don't believe changing kit in any way at all makes you a better photographer. It can improve image quality; here I'm thinking dynamic range and high ISO performance. But most full-frame cameras released in the past few years are very good in these areas and I've not seen anything that stands out from the crowd released in the past couple of years. The mirrorless cameras on the market nowadays are very popular but if you've got a A7III I don't see what a Nikon or Canon equivalent will do for you. Unless it really is that top screen, in which case you obviously have lots of money and are very fortunate.

Rookie, you need to do what I do and run 3 systems side by side ;)

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Not sure why you’d want to move from the Sony A7 III to the Nikon Z6.
Good luck with the move.

Not sure why you’d want to move from the Sony A7 III to the Nikon Z6.
Good luck with the move.

He hasn't really given great reasoning, but if he does prefer the Nikon lens line up, that could be reason enough. Pricey move though, you're not going to get great trade in value, the Z6 is more expensive, just to get started say with the body, adapter and 24-70 F4 [you will surely want at least one native lens] you're looking at £2500 if you can find a package deal

He hasn't really given great reasoning, but if he does prefer the Nikon lens line up, that could be reason enough. Pricey move though, you're not going to get great trade in value, the Z6 is more expensive, just to get started say with the body, adapter and 24-70 F4 [you will surely want at least one native lens] you're looking at £2500 if you can find a package deal

Perhaps, guess we’ll have to wait and see. :)

Forgot about the price on XQD cards, so add another £300 if you want a couple of those to kick off

Gasp, you paid at minimum 1500 quid for that itty bitty sensor.

It's actually huge, when you compare it to what some are saying the most popular format, the smart phone camera :p And the top of the line models in that case are anything up to grand.

Rookie, you need to do what I do and run 3 systems side by side ;)

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
I am considering running two!
I thought Sony would be my one system but they ruined it for me :(

It's actually huge, when you compare it to what some are saying the most popular format, the smart phone camera :p And the top of the line models in that case are anything up to grand.

...but a phone Inc its lens is substantially smaller. Aren't phones becoming so expensive!!

Last edited:
Back