Sony A7R III disabled features with Canon glass

Name
Johnny
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Looking at getting the Sony A7R III as I need the 120FPS video features. I've been watching no end of reviews of the camera and I'm not 100% clear exactly what features Sony disables when a non-native glass is used.

I heard that eye-AF was disabled but then I've also seen videos of people tracking the eye on Canon lenses.

Is anyone able to produce a list of the features you wont have when coupled with Canon?

Thanks,

It may not be Sony that disables features but the adaptor. Different brands offer different features depending on the model and firmware combined with the lenses. It’s a “minefield”. Basically buy and try to establish if it does what you want. Hopefully someone has done that for you.

Last edited:
It's either Metabones V5 or the Sigma MC11.

Yeah hopefully some has a good answer.

I found when adapting glass, it wasnt a case of features being disabled. but more how well they worked with different models of lenses, for stuff like eye af it varied from unusable to good depending on light etc. So you might be better asking for feedback on the lens you would like adapt, and for the conditions you want to use them in, ie you will get better performance form the lens on a bright sunny day filming a relative stationary model vs making a music video of a DJ in a night club. which makes it hard to go purely on others experience

I'm looking at adapting the following lenses;
Canon 17-40 F4 L (Not to concerned about anytihng fancy here)
Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art
Canon 50mm F1.2
Canon 85mm F1.2 II
Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro L IS

To be honest the purpose of my work is to track focus on product photography at 120fps. For that it'll be mainly the 100mm Macro.

I'd be going the EOS R route without question if the body supported 120FPS with focus.

Back