Sony A7R III - Owners/Owned comments?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys and gals,

I'm looking to move into the next level of mirrorless photography having done the rounds with full DSLR and then ditching all of that for Olympus - the ollies are fantastic little beasts but I am looking for something a bit more advanced having used the OMD E5 (MK 1) for a number of years now.

As the subject implies I've had my eyes on the A7R MK III and now it is released combined with the good reviews I am seeing, I think for me this will be the next one to go for. With this in mind are there any owners of this camera and what are your general thoughts both good and bad?

Previously owned Nikon D3S and Canon 1D (MK III) before the Oly so won't be considering going back to DSLR.

Hi guys and gals,

I'm looking to move into the next level of mirrorless photography having done the rounds with full DSLR and then ditching all of that for Olympus - the ollies are fantastic little beasts but I am looking for something a bit more advanced having used the OMD E5 (MK 1) for a number of years now.

As the subject implies I've had my eyes on the A7R MK III and now it is released combined with the good reviews I am seeing, I think for me this will be the next one to go for. With this in mind are there any owners of this camera and what are your general thoughts both good and bad?

Previously owned Nikon D3S and Canon 1D (MK III) before the Oly so won't be considering going back to DSLR.

There’s a Sony thread where you might get more responses from a7riii owners.

Hi guys and gals,

As Jon says you should post in here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...hing-else-welcome-mega-thread.511885/page-557

But maybe you could start in there by telling us what you want to shoot with it?

Thanks guys, I did check that thread but A7R III related posts are light. However, perhaps asking the question will bring out some of the lurkers ;)

I'll post shortly but generally will be looking to take portraits and landscaping. Couldn't care less about sports/action photography but might do the odd wildlife one!

Thanks guys, I did check that thread but A7R III related posts are light. However, perhaps asking the question will bring out some of the lurkers ;)

I'll post shortly but generally will be looking to take portraits and landscaping. Couldn't care less about sports/action photography but might do the odd wildlife one!

you can't really go wrong for either portrait or landscape. the image quality and the ability to crop and retain detail are outstanding. you might even want to consider the a7rii and save some money.

I've had mine since a couple of days before Christmas, previously an Olympus user, both OMD EM1/EM5ii, Also have an A7r.

The A7riii is the mutts dangly bits, unless your shooting sports/action as a pro its all the camera you need and more, no one should just go by the specs or posts just based on users comparing the specs between the mk2 & mk3, its when you use it that you notice the real differences.
AF is much faster, low light performance better (they've really squeezed everything they can out of the sensor now) new processor, faster bus speeds = faster card write/rewrite speeds, dual card slots, vastly better battery, mines still on 48% from the initial charging and I've used it every day, including a few hours setting up the different profiles/settings. Better dynamic range, better implementation of just about everything, the touch AF and the joystick make a huge difference, larger and brighter EVF, video is much improved with so many set up options I had to do a youtube crash course on video shooting just to work out the best settings to use!

One other thing worth noting is that its the only Sony camera that offers FULL control via the remote software via USB tethering.

I took a huge gamble selling up all my Olympus kit to buy the A7riii but even though it means I now only have 50mm & 85mm F1.8 AF lenses instead of everything from a 17mm f1.8 to a 300mm F4, I don't regret it at all, just factor in for the extra cost of Sony glass and buy the Zeiss ones if you can.

Last edited:
Thanks all, just what I am looking for. I did hear that the A7R iii was not optimised for sports/action but brilliant for portrait and landscape hence my interest. I think your experience with the A7R iii has just sealed the deal for me. :)

Back