Sony A900

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
A mate of mine wants to buy one of these, I don't know a thing about cameras unless it is a 1 series so are these a good buy for the money??? Or are there any alternatives around the price?

Cheers
Ed

as ever it depends upon his needs.
it's got the best viewfinder going & it's the purest/traditional FF body going.
It's a very good camera for landscape photographers but less good for somebody needing 10fps or a 600mm/4 (currently that would only be available s/h as a Minolta).
Michael Reichmann & others rate it highly though & it's a genuine competitor to CaNikon.

Competitors would be the 5D Mk II & the lower Mp D700 (or the rumoured cheaper Nikon high Mp FF if/when it arrives).

It looks a superb camera, and I was very tempted to get one when it came out, as the price / performance ratio is spot on.

Depending how expensive the D700x is, I may still go this route.

Does your mate shoot a low of low ISO work than requires a high megapixel count?

He's an artist and will be using it to copy his work and also for portraits, which he then paints using the print as a reference.

The issue with the 900 for me was the need to buy top quality (expensive) glass...maybe one day.

Lovely camera., takes nice photos. The best lenses really make the most of the 25MP, but get great results from even modest glass. I guess ... always ... either, the lens will out resolve the sensor, or the sensor will out resolve the lens.

Very much gadget free, very functional, and a love or hate shutter sound.

Amazing IQ, but not designed for long exposures or High ISO.

As someone once said, it's designed for the best IQ, not the best IQ in any condition.

Cheers, I'll let him know and maybe get him to look at an alternative as well.

Back