SONY AFTER SALES

Name
Don Bennett
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have had a Sony a6300 for a year or so now - I've had no problems and have been generally very happy with the camera. I'm now thinking about purchase of the new a9 body together with a couple of lenses which represents a substantial investment.

Can you all please share your thoughts on any dealings you have had with SONY generally together with comments on their after sales efficiency / repairs / value for money etc.

Many thanks

Don

Father in law has a Konica Minolta (pre Sony) and the A700 with various lenses and is very pleased with them and as far as I'm aware has not had any issues...

If you're looking at an A9 I assume you have a need for the feature set and abilities it offers otherwise any image quality differences between it and the cheaper A7x bodies may be swings and roundabouts.

I've had the original A7 since they first came out and although it's relatively sluggish in operation both the performance and image quality is fine for me and whilst I'm sure that the A9 also has wonderful image quality I personally don't need the additional abilities of frame rate / etc that the new camera offers, at a much higher price.

Stuff around the web isn't too positive about their customer support and repair service. Fortunately I've not had any problems with my Sony gear.

Surely you just got back to the trailer? You get a year warranty - sometimes 2 - if you buy from the likes of John Lewis etc. surely that's sufficient?

Here's my experiences with Sony products:

1. Bought a Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 (one of the first people to buy it). The hood for it is nicely custom designed but two parts are glued together. The glue didn't hold after 7-8 month the two parts split (because of weak glue not cracks). Basically a manufacturing defect. So emailed customer service and said the two part of the FE 35 hood was not glued together properly and asked it to be fixed under warranty. The person replied back with a link to Sony website saying the hood is not supported because its not in the list of supported accessories on their website!! The hood is sold WITH the lens, it makes no sense to tell me that this product is not a part of this lens just because their website doesn't list it!! It was like speaking to a 5 year old (sent 5 emails back and forth). I just gave up and glued it back together my self (after finding a solution from someone else on Sony forums). Yes its an easy fix, just buy some super glue and fix it yourself because that's what sony would do, but the point is they are totally insensible.

2. Bought used SEL 10-18 from LCE. Notice it was decentered 5 months down the line. Contacted LCE and they asked me to send it back to them. They had it fixed by Sony no problem within couple weeks. I had to bear postage costs one way.

3. Bought a new Sony TV from John Lewis. Broke 4years 10month into 5 year warranty. Called up John Lewis, they simply replaced the whole LCD panel basically making it a new TV!

Moral of story, buy from a reputed dealer that'll deal with Sony for you! May be their pro support is better...

Last edited:
Moral of story, buy from a reputed dealer that'll deal with Sony for you! May be their pro support it better...

Yup. I think that the dealer is key too.The only camera I've had to return was a Canon and I hated them and their dealer as both made me feel they were (very reluctantly) doing me a massive favor.

The retailer won't do much if it's out of warranty..

They'll still assist in sending it back? Just buy from someone you trust if it concerns you rather than off Ebay. I think a lot of these things last a long time anyway, I can't recall the last item I had that had an issue (camera related)

I had the mirror detach from the assembly on one of my A900's.
(how it didn't shatter I've no idea, it's a large sheet of very thin glass).

The Camera was not only out of warranty (and I had bought it second hand anyway), but had been discontinued for over a year - Sony accepted the repair for a fixed fee (~£175 at the time I think), and, though it took a while, sourced and fitted an entire replacement mirror assembly.

Communication could have been better (I had to chase to find if any progress had been made), but they did fix it.
(My only gripe is that there was only a 3 month warranty on the fix, but that's a different matter).

I had the mirror detach from the assembly on one of my A900's.
(how it didn't shatter I've no idea, it's a large sheet of very thin glass).
Those mirrors are effectively a thin sheet of plastic and very susceptible to damage if accidentally touched. It's possible to swap them yourself with care, if necessary.

Those mirrors are effectively a thin sheet of plastic and very susceptible to damage if accidentally touched. It's possible to swap them yourself with care, if necessary.
You are thinking of the Semi-translucent mirrors in the Sony SLT's.

The A900 was / is a 'true' DSLR, with an optical viewfinder and a glass mirror that flipped up for each shot, most definitely NOT a user replaceable part!

Well by definition of a DSLR Sony SLTs are true DSLRs too ;) A900 has a flapping mirror as suppose to a stationary translucent one.

Back