Sony NEX5 - any good?

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking about getting a second camera that I can carry round a bit easier than the 5dmk2 such as holidays etc. A friend of mine has the Sony NEX5 which seems to produce very good quality images, but I'm not sure how much control you have over the settings? Can you change the ISO, Aperture and shutter speed manually to get very shallow DOF etc. How good are the lenses?

Does anyone have any experience with this camera or suggest an alternative make or model? :shrug:

Thanks

Gareth(y)

wippers said:
I'm thinking about getting a second camera that I can carry round a bit easier than the 5dmk2 such as holidays etc. A friend of mine has the Sony NEX5 which seems to produce very good quality images, but I'm not sure how much control you have over the settings? Can you change the ISO, Aperture and shutter speed manually to get very shallow DOF etc. How good are the lenses?

Does anyone have any experience with this camera or suggest an alternative make or model? :shrug:

Thanks

Gareth(y)

Yes. You can set all the parameters you would with a DSLR, albeit using a different UI. Can't comment on the lenses, but bear in mind you can get adapters for just about any mount.

The new NEX7 looks very tempting.

You'll hear a lot of people complaining about how to change the setting, but if you read the instructions and have the latest firmware, you can choose what the 3 rear buttons do, and one button lets you have a choice of three different settings to change. You could have White balance, ISO, Manual focusing assist, HDR settings and Picture style all within one click away. Every review I've read makes it sound like you need to go into the setting and change everything individually, which isn't true.

I've only got the 16mm pancake lens, which I find perfectly acceptable for what it is, a £110 lens.

You can have a Google around for the image quality, which is on par with Sony's other 14mp CMOS sensor cameras. It handles noise well, even at higher ISO. Being Sony though, there's quite aggressive noise reduction and it can show if you're pixel peeping. Can't comment on RAW, as my PC isn't working.

Another statement I hear is ; "It's not very compact with lenses on it", which is nonsense. I can carry the Sony with the 16mm pancake in one pocket and have room in my other pocket for at least 3 other primes. I'd love to have tried that with my old Minolta 5D.

Any reason you're choosing the 5 over the 3? Because you can pick up the 3 for under £200 second hand on eBay, the only difference being the 5 gives you 1080 over the 3s 720 video output, the ability to use the Sony remote and a slight difference in body shape and material.

Any other questions? Just message back.

I picked one up recently off here on a whim, and I am impressed so far. It isn't too compact with the 18-55mm on it, but the 16mm pancake is perfect and discreet. I've tried some Leica M glass on it via an adaptor and the focusing is preferable to my M9 on some occasions. Even the menus are very nice to navigate, I'd recommend one.

I have a 3 with the 16mm and find it very nice to use. As has been said, it's not tiny but certainly a lot smaller than an slr. It'll easily fit in a jacket or hoody pocket.

Also, I'll back up what Micehorns says about the UI, I'v read loads of reviews that say everything is hidden in menus but it really isn't. I have my rear dial set to change iso, white balance and picture style (colour, b&w etc) when clcked and it'll also change exposure comp, aperture and shutter speed without clicking. I have the other back button set to change shooting mode (AV, TV, Program etc). The only thing it could do with is a manual/auto focus switch, that's a menu job but it's only 1 level of menu, not hidden at all and the new 7 has an AF/MF switch too.

Waiting on an adaptor so I can use my Konica primes which I think will make the video a bit nicer, I find the 16mm can be a bit sticky to focus, not so as you'd notice if you're doing stills and manually focusing but it can make the camera shake a little when videoing.

Last edited:
It's a lovely little camera to use when you need something pocketable! But therein lies the problem...the lenses are relatively huge! Using manual focus lenses (particularly rangefinder lenses) is a great alternative, but focusing in sunlight is a nightmare, even with the new focus peeking function. The new Nex 7 and 5n with optional OLED viewfinder should put the focusing issue behind it once and for all. I'm waiting to buy one!

Cheers for all the advise guys. This forum never lets me down! (y)

I wasn't aware of the NEX3 so will have to have a search around for one of those as I have no need for video. For under £200 I think I may well have a dabble. The NEX5's are still fetching well over £300 second hand so wanted to make sure before I went any further with a purchase.

I don't mind that they are not as small as a compact, but anything has to be smaller than my 5Dmk2 with the battery grip! :)

Are there any other similar cameras around worth a look before I commit?

Nearest thing is the micro 4/3 format (Panasonic G/GH/GF and Olympus Pen) - smaller sensor than Nex but smaller lenses as a result.
There's also the Samsung NX range, but I don't know much about those - think the sensor is APS-C like Nex.

An interesting and reasonably balanced review of the new NEX5n, including the use of a Leica lens (with comparison images from an M9).

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/...tal-camera-review-a-monster-full-of-features/

Incidentally, at the very end of the video there's a demonstration of focus "peaking". Looks like a great feature.

Cheers for the link John. Some interesting stuff on there. I had no idea there were different model number upgrades to the NEX5 etc. I'm going to keep my eye out for a second hand NEX5n I think as that model seems to get the best write ups. Jessops are doing one with 2 lenses at £399. I assume this is due to a new model on the way. :thinking:

Gareth

The Nex-5n is the new model, think it's out within the next couple of weeks. The one in Jessops for £399 will probably be the older Nex-5.

The Nex-5n is the new model, think it's out within the next couple of weeks. The one in Jessops for £399 will probably be the older Nex-5.

Ah cheers. That makes sense. (y)

One thing I'm worried about with this type of camera, is whether when I'm out and about with it, I'm going to wish I had the 5D with me for the quality? :shrug:

I think I'll have to go to Jessops and have a play with one. I'd like to see how easy the settings are to use.

One thing I'm worried about with this type of camera, is whether when I'm out and about with it, I'm going to wish I had the 5D with me for the quality? :shrug:

I don't use a NEX but do have one of the Panasonic M43s cameras and am very impressed by it - while the image quality isn't quite up there with the 5DmkII it is still very good. I got mine to replace a Canon G9, the Panny isn't much bigger but the results are a huge leap forward. I hate to go anywhere without a camera so often ended up lugging a big bag around now I just take the Panasonic. Don't get me wrong if going out to take photos I always take my DSLR but as a holiday/take everywhere camera the m43s are well worth a look.

I don't use a NEX but do have one of the Panasonic M43s cameras and am very impressed by it - while the image quality isn't quite up there with the 5DmkII it is still very good. I got mine to replace a Canon G9, the Panny isn't much bigger but the results are a huge leap forward. I hate to go anywhere without a camera so often ended up lugging a big bag around now I just take the Panasonic. Don't get me wrong if going out to take photos I always take my DSLR but as a holiday/take everywhere camera the m43s are well worth a look.

I think this is exactly my predicament. I find the 5D and lens bloody heavy and can't be bothered to lug it around all the time. This smaller camera sounds more and more like what I'm looking for.

I looked at the cheaper little compact cameras, but they just don't give you enough versatility.

The NEX5 seems to be an inbetweener and the closest I'll get the "the best of both worlds". (y)

Moved from Canon DSLR Gear (including various L lenses) to NEX just because easier to carry around. No regrets so far, though not a direct comparison but a good alternative.

How do you find the ease of setting changes compared to the Canon DSLR?
Can you change between modes such as the Canon TV, AV etc etc? Is there a manual mode?
If so, is this pretty easy to do or do you have to hunt round on screen menus?

Presently menus (had a play with one in Jessops the other night). Due to change with the new Nex7 though - lots of dials on that!

How do you find the ease of setting changes compared to the Canon DSLR?
Can you change between modes such as the Canon TV, AV etc etc? Is there a manual mode?
If so, is this pretty easy to do or do you have to hunt round on screen menus?

There are 3 buttons on the back, they can be set to do most things. For example, you're in Shutter Priority but want to go to Auto mode, you press one button and you have a list of Shoot Modes, scroll from Shutter Priority to Auto and press "Ok". Literally only having to press 2 buttons.

Out of the box, the Sony lay out is a little odd but spend 2 minutes setting up your own button configurations and it makes sense, meaning you have everything you'll ever need within one button away. Quick example, button 1 - Menu, button 2 - White Balance, ISO and HDR settings, button 3 - Shoot Mode. There are no words written on the main 3 buttons, they are for whatever modes/styles/etc you want. Think of it like a PC, if you frequently find yourself using 3 different programs on it, you'll take the shortcut to those programs and place them on your desktop for ease, instead of constantly going through different folders.

Yup, full manual mode aswell.

There are 3 buttons on the back, they can be set to do most things. For example, you're in Shutter Priority but want to go to Auto mode, you press one button and you have a list of Shoot Modes, scroll from Shutter Priority to Auto and press "Ok". Literally only having to press 2 buttons.

Out of the box, the Sony lay out is a little odd but spend 2 minutes setting up your own button configurations and it makes sense, meaning you have everything you'll ever need within one button away. Quick example, button 1 - Menu, button 2 - White Balance, ISO and HDR settings, button 3 - Shoot Mode. There are no words written on the main 3 buttons, they are for whatever modes/styles/etc you want. Think of it like a PC, if you frequently find yourself using 3 different programs on it, you'll take the shortcut to those programs and place them on your desktop for ease, instead of constantly going through different folders.

Yup, full manual mode aswell.

Cheers for the info Chris. This is much appreciated. I assume this is the NEX5 rather than the NEX5n? Or are they the same?

wippers said:
Cheers for the info Chris. This is much appreciated. I assume this is the NEX5 rather than the NEX5n? Or are they the same?

The NEX5n adds a touch screen (among other things), but the button layout and operation is basically the same.

Is it worth throwing the Panasonic GF3 into the equation?

Also, does the NEX5 have a RAW format capability or are all the images JPEG?

Last edited:
Just sold my NEX 5 but only because it was too tempting to reach for it every time rather than my main camera

Image quality (especially high ISO) really is DSLR standard (far better than MFT IMHO) and, whilst the control system is quirky, it is very easy to adjust settings once you get used to it.

It has an excellent HDR option and great sweep panoramic facility.

If is probably a good time to buy given the new model which is due soon and £399 for the twin lens kit is fantastic value

Just sold my NEX 5 but only because it was too tempting to reach for it every time rather than my main camera
And that's why I bought it off Dave. It's rather small if you mount M-mount lenses. And even with a Nikon 55mm f1.2 it is still manageable.

I'm seriously considering sacrificing my 5D Mark II + 24-105mm for either a NEX 5n or a NEX 7. It's certainly a downgrade feature wise and with a mediocre choice of lenses available it's a difficult decision to make. The sensors for these cameras seem to be top notch, especially the NEX 7 which by all accounts shares a very similar sensor to the newly released A77. My only concern is whether or not Sony will improve the quality of their lenses if these cameras continue to increase in popularity. By all accounts the current E mount lens range produce mediocre results which do seem to be bottlenecking the sensor. Then again, for such small lenses and the price they sell for I guess this is expected.

I'm finding I never take my 5D anywhere any more as for me it's too intrusive and obvious anywhere I take it, while being also constantly paranoid and on edge that I'll be mugged for carrying such an expensive camera around with me. At least with a NEX it could be hidden away a little easier and remains a little more inconspicuous in the hands.

I guess I have a lot of thinking to do over the next few weeks!!

Last edited:
There is the new Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 that looks good for the E-mount, not exactly compact or cheap, but the quality looks to be there. The NEX-7 looks interesting, if it performs well I might take a look at it.

wippers said:
Do you know where I can get the twin lens at this price? :shrug:

Not seen it at this price myself - just referring to the price quoted earlier in this thread. £399 is silly cheap for this excellent camera

Well I decided to go for the NEX5 in the end at £479 from Jessops with the twin lens kit. I've just got back from a week on holiday with it and so far it looks to be a pretty good piece of kit.

I like the way you can customise the back buttons to a degree to make it easier to change to say AV mode etc.
I'm not sure about the rear LED screen which only pivots in one plane. Not sure how or why I would use this and would have prefered it to have maybe a 180 degree swivel to it could be used for self shots etc. I'm not that bothered though.
The IQ seems pretty good and although not up there with the 5DMk2, it's pretty impressive and produces a good bokeh. I tried a long exposure at night which it struggled with a bit, but that could have been down to me and my settings. I'll try that again with a little more care.

So it's a case of so far so good.....(y)

Gareth

Can I ask the OP how he's getting on with the NEX-5 now he's been able to use it in anger?

I'm deliberating a similar decision...

Can I ask the OP how he's getting on with the NEX-5 now he's been able to use it in anger?

I'm deliberating a similar decision...

I've only used it a few times so far and I find the quality hit and miss. That's more than likely the user though. :) Most of the images are superb, although sometimes when doing portraits I struggle a bit to focus on the eyes.
The only thing I don't really like is the lack of view finder as I'm not a fan of using the LCD. I knew this before buying so not a fault of the camera. I think you can buy an add on view finder.
on the whole, from the relatively little use it has had, I like the camera. I would definitely recommend one. (y)

Gareth

Butting in a bit I know, but I bought a Nex-5 around the same time and have been using it for a little while now. I got the Nex-5 and 16mm kit for £350 brand new which I thought was a good deal :) I find the image quality superb, and as mentioned before the focus can be hit and miss although I do try and manual focus a lot of the time so haven't used the auto focus much. I'm very happy with it as a compact to carry round with me everywhere and of course it will never replace my D700, but for quality 'snaps' it is a very good camera which I appreciate owning :)
Not sure if that's worth anything but thought I would type a little as I was looking for plenty of info before buying one as well :)
Adam

What focus mode are those who are having trouble focusing using? I use my 3 on single point AF pretty much whenever I'm using the 16mm and have no issues. Focus peaking in the latest firmware update is good for using manual lenses too.

From my experience the default focusing (Multi Area) in Intelligent Auto is shockingly poor. It's strange considering this is the mode a lot of Nex users will either use or start with. Change your focusing area in P or the other modes and you'll hopefully notice a difference.

I was reading a lot about street photographers having trouble with the Nex for focusing and I couldn't work out why, so I messed around with the different settings and found this out.

I have the NEX 3 and I think it's great. It has it little quirks, you just get you to them.

I've started to use manual lenses with it and am very impressed with how it works. The peaking function is just total genius! It makes manual focusing a pleasure to use.

Here is my last batch, all using manual focus. Most taken with a Zuiko OM 50mm f1.4 silver nose.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpsutton/sets/72157627900236034/

The peaking function makes it worth every penny.

Can anyone explain what the "peaking" function is please? Is this something that is only available when you get the latest firmware? And how do I get the latest firmware? :shrug:

Gareth

Peaking is a feature you can enable to aid focus. The sharpest focused (most contrasty) areas of the frame are made visible in one of three colours as you focus (you choose - white, yellow or red).

You download the firmware update from the Sony support website and follow the instructions given by the included application. Part of the process is obviously connecting your Nex to a PC via the standard USB cable.

Back